No announcement yet.
X

Warm up your tires before a ride?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a road that leads towards town when I leave home, it has some corners, I use that to warm up my tires, since the speed limit is 30mph I take my time, b the time I get to the end of the road I figure the tires are warmed up.
    I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by katrider
      I have street compound tires and they don't require warming up. But...I have race pads on my front brakes and they DO need to be warmed up!! Last time I put reace stuff on my street bike...
      Most race items aren't designed for street use, and either perform poorly under typical street conditions or fail very quickly because they are designed for limited use (a race or two and replace). Glad you learned it without going down...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sometimes. Depends what Kinda mood I am in.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Other:explain ....
          Okay people , I've read from SEVERAL sources that the "swervy" thing doesn't really do anything for warming up the tires . It's accelerating and braking that DOES . So yes , once I'm sure the engine is good and warmed up , I like to try to take a couple good lunges at the throtte and the brakes .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
            Originally posted by Need4Speed
            I'll usually zig zag, but not real aggressively..and not out in traffic. usually by the time I get out of our development, ive zigged and zagged enuff to hit the open road w/ some semi warm tires.
            I think you do that so no one says anything about your chicken strips
            u just wait, I'll sick Lou on you !!! Hey I cant help it they are newer tires...

Comment

If it is colder than 50 than Ill burn them out otherwise just ride 8)
              Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

I'll usually zig zag, but not real aggressively..and not out in traffic. usually by the time I get out of our development, ive zigged and zagged enuff to hit the open road w/ some semi warm tires.
                u just wait, I'll sick Lou on you !!! Hey I cant help it they are newer tires...
                I'm not a fighter, I'm a Lover... Unless you spill my beer, that makes me mad.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Police here don't go for zig-zagging, so I don't do it very often. Generally, I ride a careful pace for a few (5-10) miles around town, and get in plenty of turns, etc, before heading out anywhere do do any REAL riding.

I almost bought some of the warmign pads a while back, as there are many days when it's cool enough here to really be a slow warming process on the street, but I'll hold off on those until I get a new bike next year or so.

Tim
                  ak.a. - Rocketman

Comment

i do it just before ... well you know.

#1 just to get any debris off the tires
                    #2 just to get a feel from the bike - make sure everythings ok before i stuff it deep into a corner.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                      How can I spill your beer when all you do is send me empty cans!!

Comment

I never deliberately warm up the tires. My style of riding is not aggressive at all (I do not lean the bike way over)

I baby the bike for the first 5 miles or so, then just gradually "get on it"...
                        "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                          Other:explain ....
                          Okay people , I've read from SEVERAL sources that the "swervy" thing doesn't really do anything for warming up the tires . It's accelerating and braking that DOES . So yes , once I'm sure the engine is good and warmed up , I like to try to take a couple good lunges at the throtte and the brakes .
                          Im with stupid! Ive read from multiple sources that zig zagging does absolutely nothing to warm up your tires. So have a ball and do it for fun, but it doenst really do much for you
                          Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

I always warm mine up. Like MD said, you warm them from braking and accelerating so that's what I try to do. Then again, if I turn left out my drive, I'm in twisties. If I turn right, I'm in twisties so I kinda need warm tires. Kinda take it easy for the first couple of miles and then I get progressively more aggressive.
                            sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                            MSF Rider Coach 27028
                            MoPowerSports.com
                            Torco
                            SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                              How can I spill your beer when all you do is send me empty cans!!
                              Buy your own?????
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaO215
                                Im with stupid! Ive read from multiple sources that zig zagging does absolutely nothing to warm up your tires. So have a ball and do it for fun, but it doenst really do much for you
                                Hey wait a minute , I THINK there might be a dig in there somewhere ...
                                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                                X