X

The $1200 Katana Special...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
    Just FYI: Effectively, my half of the donations from January have no been re-rolled into a top-of-the-line Scorpion alarm system that I ordered today...

I've been trying to convince Malloc to help me refund all the donations now that neither of us is hurting for a ride, but he's not quite in the position to do so. I'm debating on whether I want to cover his half out of my pocket...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    I don't think thats necessary, certainly not in my case. I got a great book and was glad to help, albeit in a VERY small way. I'm pretty sure that most if not all that donated feel the same way I do.
    Black IS the fastest color!

Comment

• The way I look at returning the donations is this. About 7 years ago, we were living on my income alone. My then girlfriend, now wife, was layed off from IBM and her ex wasn't paying child support. We basically had my income, and we couldn't afford christmas for the kids... at all. So through the school, the kids all got presents. Our financial situation as made a a great turn for the better now. So now every year, we adopt 3 families, one for each of my 3 step children that recieved help. It's actually quite fun, because they get to help out picking the presents. Although this last year, we had one elderly gal that wanted thigh high boots and a karaoke machine... that was a bit different

Just a different way to look at it I guess.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
        The way I look at returning the donations is this. About 7 years ago, we were living on my income alone. My then girlfriend, now wife, was layed off from IBM and her ex wasn't paying child support. We basically had my income, and we couldn't afford christmas for the kids... at all. So through the school, the kids all got presents. Our financial situation as made a a great turn for the better now. So now every year, we adopt 3 families, one for each of my 3 step children that recieved help. It's actually quite fun, because they get to help out picking the presents. Although this last year, we had one elderly gal that wanted thigh high boots and a karaoke machine... that was a bit different

good for you

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
          The way I look at returning the donations is this. About 7 years ago, we were living on my income alone. My then girlfriend, now wife, was layed off from IBM and her ex wasn't paying child support. We basically had my income, and we couldn't afford christmas for the kids... at all. So through the school, the kids all got presents. Our financial situation as made a a great turn for the better now. So now every year, we adopt 3 families, one for each of my 3 step children that recieved help. It's actually quite fun, because they get to help out picking the presents. Although this last year, we had one elderly gal that wanted thigh high boots and a karaoke machine... that was a bit different

that sort of sounds like one of those "pay it forward" kinda deals. those are cool :
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

• Originally posted by TT120 View Post
            I don't think thats necessary, certainly not in my case. I got a great book and was glad to help, albeit in a VERY small way. I'm pretty sure that most if not all that donated feel the same way I do.
            If ANYONE who donated doesn't feel that way, please PM me and I will get you your refund post-haste.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• Mojoe: with the 1200 currently sitting in my garage, it makes me think of my future, sure she is beat all to hell, been abused and neglected. 1200 bucks is a drop in the bucket compared to what i am learning as i tear things down and clean, repair and replace them. with very little motocycle repair skill under my belt (minus wiring and a fender chop) I cannot see myself taking a wrench to my 05 with little or no clue to what i am doing. I can justify taking out tools and tearing into her.
              When This Katana Rails thru the Dragon next year (which will happen come hell or high Water) I fell have full knowledge that what i am sitting on is the product of my hard work, the fact that she is not sitting in a Junk Yard, will be the testament of me not giving up on something like i did in the past.
              To me what the Kat is teaching me is worth more than the 1200 i put into her intially.
              I have had the bike already a month and I have addressed three of the major issues: New Front tire, New clutch Cable, New Stock Air filter. I still have a long way to go (Hell i might throw the 05's plastics on it to give the bike the Overall Look when she is mechanically sound)
              And besides, im actually having fun doing this.

Comment

• well Rod....if you look at it that way, then I can see it being a good deal for you, for sure.

I guess I am just biased cuz I am sick of wrenching.

Comment

• I think if we really knew what this bike had gone through and how poor the maintenance really was, no one would have bought that bike for that price. but it's in good hands now and a Kat has been rescued from it's grave
                  myspace
                  2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

• Originally posted by Mat0302 View Post
                    I think if we really knew what this bike had gone through and how poor the maintenance really was, no one would have bought that bike for that price. but it's in good hands now and a Kat has been rescued from it's grave
                    not entirely true. Rodimus knew and he still bought it for that price

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

• If I had my old (stolen) Blue Kat still in my possession (to ride) and all the time in the world to work on the $1200 special at my leisure (plus a garage to do it in), I would have kept the $1200 special myself -- it was always worth more than $1200 in that sense: a 98+ 750 that drove and had no significant/serious engine/tranny problems and a clean VIN. It could easily be sold tomorrow for $1600 as-is, without any of the add-ons/extra stuff and bring Rodimus a profit from someone who needs a cheap entry point into the riding segment. As I said before, he'll never be upside-down on it, except by his own choice.

Now, that said, I just couldn't bring myself to keep it as my only & "primary" ride for a variety of reasons, many of which had to do with the lack of a garage or shop to work out of (dropping a swingarm and getting it into the shape I felt it needed to be to be "mine" in my parking lot isn't viable, at least in my condo community). Once I came to that conclusion, the realization that this wasn't the right Kat for me at this instant; I didn't shaft my good friend Rodimus in any way (and never would knowingly do so to anyone).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• Well Mojoe, since projects 1 and 2 were just basically frames and not much else, having a whole bike to mess with means i can tackle different aspects at different times, if i got a full day off from work, i can tear into the engine if i need to because its there staring at me, or if i got a couple hours after wrok, i can just go out there and see if i can get a couple bolts twisted, or work on wiring. so having a complete bike to play with id much better- and the fact she has a tag hangin on her tail just motivates me more

Comment

• you know what you need to do, Rod? you need to slap that V&H engine I have, into your bike. then that $1200 special will turn into one kick arse bike.
                          an engine swap would be ideal practice for you.

Comment

• Are you telling me that you're still sitting on the V&H engine, Mojoe? In two years, with a full shop, you haven't found the time to put it into a bike yet? OMFG...

=-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• Originally posted by Rodimus View Post
                              Mojoe: with the 1200 currently sitting in my garage, it makes me think of my future, sure she is beat all to hell, been abused and neglected. 1200 bucks is a drop in the bucket compared to what i am learning as i tear things down and clean, repair and replace them. with very little motocycle repair skill under my belt (minus wiring and a fender chop) I cannot see myself taking a wrench to my 05 with little or no clue to what i am doing. I can justify taking out tools and tearing into her.
                              When This Katana Rails thru the Dragon next year (which will happen come hell or high Water) I fell have full knowledge that what i am sitting on is the product of my hard work, the fact that she is not sitting in a Junk Yard, will be the testament of me not giving up on something like i did in the past.
                              To me what the Kat is teaching me is worth more than the 1200 i put into her intially.
                              I have had the bike already a month and I have addressed three of the major issues: New Front tire, New clutch Cable, New Stock Air filter. I still have a long way to go (Hell i might throw the 05's plastics on it to give the bike the Overall Look when she is mechanically sound)
                              And besides, im actually having fun doing this.
                              That's WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!!!!!

I had taken about a year off from wrenching when I bought my Kat. When a friend came over and there were two motorcycles completely apart, she asked my wife why I didn't just go buy a new bike...my wife said

"Because that's what he likes to do........tear 'em apart and put 'em back together again......."

Comment

• Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                                Are you telling me that you're still sitting on the V&H engine, Mojoe? In two years, with a full shop, you haven't found the time to put it into a bike yet? OMFG...

=-= The CyberPoet
                                the engine is on the bench....and my 93 1100 is sitting 10 feet from it with no engine in it. truth be told, not sure I want to even bother with it now. got the engine all refreshed back together last fall.

but ya....I hear ya. it should have been done long ago. but the damn thing is confusing me. one week I get it in my head to finish it....the next I just want everything gone and get a nice new bike. frickin' thing...lol

the thing is that it has been over a year since I licensed my bike, so now if I do finish, I have to go through inspection and all that crap. just not sure I want to bother. hey....you wanted it pretty bad last year. paypal me $2k and it's yours...lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X