X

Katana vs. SV650S

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana vs. SV650S

Well, I just hafta share this. I just spent some vacation time in Texas visiting my daughter and her husband. She has just purchased a 2003 SV650S, full fairing and Hendle high mount. Really nice looking bike, sounds incredible. So we all go for a long ride in what passes for Texas countryside roads. There's four of us and we trade bikes as we ride (I borrow a friend's YZF600R...nice bike), stopping to get gas...trade bikes. Stop to eat...trade bikes. I end up riding the daughter's SV home, about 45 minutes ripping down I20 towards Arlington. Now, I don't think she visits this site, so I hope I don't crush her feelings too much here, but I was really disappointed in the bike for anything approaching long distance. Give me my Katana anytime!!

Why? Well, for starters, the riding positions are very different. The SV, for all the talk about comfort, was horrific on my upper arms and neck. After about 30 minutes I wanted OFF! The power and handling was as advertised, but jeez, if you can't sit in the saddle for more than 30 minutes...what's the point???

Also, the turn in was a little sluggish and "over-the-top", like a cam profile, as compared to my Katana. I attribute that to the wider wheels and tires on the SV. My Katana still rolls on the stock 140 rubber in the rear, and it leans into a corner with a lot less initial effort.

So all those hours I've spent sitting on SV650s at the Zook dealer didn't tell me anything about how the bike fits me in the real world. Now, my daughter and her husband have both riden my Katana and, compared with the SV they love their new SV, so I was careful to avoid dissing their toy too much, but it sure made my Katana look good when I got home...
    My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Its hard to really get a feel for a bike, when you just ride for a relatively short period of time.. any type of sportbike can be abit tough on the upper body till you get used to it, because none of feel quite the same as the next to each individual.. it took me about a week of riding till I got really comfortable and no more pain in the my shoulders from Kat.. although I was coming off a standard to a Kat at the time.

Sounds like the ride was a blast!!

Comment

Thanks for the review

hijak: Do you live close to UPS?

Comment

Cme on now, I know your not telling me that the Katana is easier to lean in the twisties. I ride a 2004SV650s and it kicks @ss. Personally I think the Katana is to top heavy.

also

riding, I go on 3 or 4 hours sometime longer no problem maybe you were just trying to ride it like a Katana (touring).
        Get on it and Ride!

Comment

To me, the effort to start the initial lean seemed greater on the SV, but once the lean started, it was linear and predictable. The Kat leans in easier, less counter steering required, but it seems to have, quite naturally, a thinner line it wants to follow. Also, and I forgot to mention this, I think that the SVs initial resistance to leaning might be caused by the vee-twins gyro effect.

In parking lots and at slow speeds, the SV was bull headed and didn't want to turn smoothly. Now the Katana handles more like a bicycle in parking lots, just peddle around and steer where you want to go...

As far as railing on these bikes? Oh, no contest. Bye-bye SV, See you later. I am not going to argue that at all, but the power was very similar. My Kat makes 75 rear wheel horse power, the SV probable around the same, maybe 78. The torque is big time different. The SV actually has some, my Katana? Dynos out at 32 ft pounds.

I agree that riding the bike builds the muscles required to ride it, and that a short term ride is a poor judge. But initial impressions usually only modify over time, don't change radically. Especially as you age!!

Comment

Re: Katana vs. SV650S

Originally posted by katrider
            I end up riding the daughter's SV home, about 45 minutes ripping down I20 towards Arlington.
            I think that's the key statement in your entire post. The Kat is a sport tourer, designed for cheap comfort. The SV is less comfortable, with the newest generation's ergos even more aggressive than the older ones. This is why I'd suggest putting an LSL superbike bar or the handlebar from a standard SV on that thing. THEN you'd find it's even more comfy than a Kat.
            -Steve

Comment

naked SV is much more comfy than the S model, as the bars are about 5in. higher. i still say my SV has more of a "dirt bike" feel to it. as far as railing, the SV does everything quicker than the Kat because that's what it's designed for, and with a gel seat i can ride my SV just as long as i could ride my Kat. BTW, i do agree, i sat on a SV1000S with the lower clip-ons, NO WAY could i ride that for very long!

Comment

ill agree that the Katana is more comfortable, but that SV should be a better cornering bike
                Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Originally posted by katrider
                  To me, the effort to start the initial lean seemed greater on the SV, but once the lean started, it was linear and predictable. The Kat leans in easier, less counter steering required, but it seems to have, quite naturally, a thinner line it wants to follow. Also, and I forgot to mention this, I think that the SVs initial resistance to leaning might be caused by the vee-twins gyro effect.
                  I'm gonna have to go with no on the gyro-thingy......
                  However, the stock tires on the SV DO leave a bit to be desired. They seem more like sport/touring tires.....we changed ours to Diablo's, and what a difference! The bike snaps into place.....also if you've got the suspension set to stock spongeness, you'll get a bit of wavering.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Wilson
                    stock spongeness

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                      Originally posted by Dennis Wilson
                      stock spongeness

tim

...Which means setting the dampening and spring tension up higher than the recommended chart in the manual.

(surprise/surprise, the stock suspension sucks...I don't remember the Kat being better)

Comment

My friend and I both bought new bikes in 03 I bought a kat and he bought an Sv 650 we both have ridden alot of miles together.I personally hate V twins ...But the SV is light and wickedly snappy.Im sure the Fuel injection has some bearing on that.We have traded bikes a few times the SV is impressive but not my thing,One thing i thought was interesting was his SV literally " rattled" every bolt on the chassis loose on our way to a trip to Kansas City.Bad enough we had to stop at my sisters to tighten it back up.The SV is much more of a Sportbike than the Kat.Ive read the SV makes less HP but this is crap in the reall world of bikes the SV is way lighter and WAY faster than than any 98+ Kat.
                        I would have to give the SV 650 a thumbs up for the cash,pretty comfy noisey assed twin ...lol not 2 bad.
                        2004 CBR 1000 RR I dont gottagofaster anymore ....

Comment

[img]http://bikepics.com/pictures/330708/
                          Theres a pretty kool pic,Im not sure how to post them here hope it works ....[/img]
                          2004 CBR 1000 RR I dont gottagofaster anymore ....

Comment

Im not sure about the SV, but a buddy of mine has 2 97 TL1000S. One has the R motor in it(someone from TLPlanet helped him with the swap). I can tell you that they handle great. I love riding those bikes. I have been trying to talk him into selling me the S engine he has in his storage building so I can put it into the Kat somehow. Then I will have the best of both worlds.

If the SV handles or rides anything like the TL, it cant be all that bad. But then, maybe I was blinded by all the raw, gutsy, begging to be unleashed, loud, unabashed power in those puppies!!
                            If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

The TL S is a great all rounder. I've also ridden a slightly warmed over Superhawk, very similar but slower than the TL (I can say that on a Suzuki board...). Now that 996 was one comfy sport bike. Ergos seemed real close to my 600 Katana. Tons of torque, which is the vee-twin calling card.

The SV650 is not the bike that the TL was, but the SV1000 is...because it has the TL motor!!

Comment

Working...
                              X