X

Horrible Dilema!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Dilema!

i've got a problem. I want to buy an 03 katana, but suzuki won't approve me for financing. kawasaki will approve me, however.

there is a ninja 500 down at the shop, and it is so tempting to buy. i really want the kat, but it doesn't look like i can get it. should i settle for the ninja, or wait until next year when i've built up more credit?

i don't like the looks of the ninja 500, and i'm not too sure about the power (although i've never driven one), but it is a bike, and i'm sure it would be plenty fast for a newbie.

i know i could get a used kat for the same price as a new kawi, but financing through anyone but the manufacture is too much of a hassle in my situation (i'm only 20, and have no credit).

anyone have any words of wisdom?
    "he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man"- Dr. Gonzo

If you dont like the looks of the bike then I would wait. Why spend the money on something that your not going to like?
    -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Its quite a bit of money to be dropping. I would wait, save some more and try again. If you are making that big of a purchase, be sure its what you want.
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

It will be worth the wait.

Comment

the no credit isn't the problem. you need a down payment to offset your liability of risk.

save some money & re-apply

tim

Comment

Pyro, you live in Wyoming. Nowheresville to be specific? Are there a lot of sportbike riders there whom you feel you must be accepted by? Oh, come to think of it, from my reads of this site, even the Kat riders are sort of in a category of their own when it come to sportbikes. Sport/tourers is what we are riding. Equivalent to a Yamaha YZF600F, I imagine, not the R6.

You are only 20 years old. I hope you are continuing your education, in which case the distraction of a cycle won't help your studies. If its more of a technical or skilled trade that you are entering, and you work while advancing, a bike would be more appropriate at this point.

Can you get a loan from your parents, uncle, etc? If you are working maybe your local bank can help if you get a co-signer. But at your age, you have to be looking at your future in the world of work. Sacrfice today for greater material goods tomorrow, that is the way of capitalism.

Would you be riding with friends who have certain sized street bikes, and you must have an equivalent? I have three bikes, a 175cc dual purpose, a 400cc standard (both 20 plus years old), and a new 2004 Kat. I am just getting to know the Kat, but I love all my bikes. The 175 is unique for off-road riding. So why wouldn't the Ninja due for you? Any bike is better than no bike.

You are at a time in life where preparation for your future is all important. Are you associating with friends who are in a similiar situation as yours financially? You should be doing so, and enjoying their company. Keep your dreams of the elusive goods that will make you happier, but be firmly grounded in reality. Translation: dream of the Katana, keep your nose to the grindstone, and drive and enjoy what you can afford now.

Comment

I'd definatley wait, especially when your dropping that much cash. A bike is a big investment..better to get it right and get what you want. Had you considered alternative financing thru a local bank,loan company, or credit union ?

Comment

I would suggest checking with Alaska USA Federal Credit union. They are who approved me when Suzuki turned me down and are very easy to get approved with. If the dealer doesn't work with them already you should be able to contact them directly. they can be reached at http://www.alaskausa.org

Comment

well, i was hoping everyone would tell me that i'd be perfectly happy with the 500, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've tried everything to get approved. I can either wait until june, when my credit info is updated(mabye), or find a co-signer. Or, i could sell one of my cars, and buy a used kat... i just can't decide.

so, how fast is the 500? i've read a ton of forum posts, and i know the top speed, and horsepower, but how fast is it compared to the katana? i'll be getting on the interstate everyday with this bike, so it will need to get up to 75 very quickly.

here is my reasoning for looking at the ninja- it is much lighter, has a smoother power band, and a thinner profile. all good things for a beginner bike, right? plus, i'm somewhat of a speed freak. i know that once i gain my confidence, i'll want something with some more power. so, no matter what i get, i'll eventually get rid of it anyway.

sorry for all the indecisive newbie questions, by the way. it just seems like i'm losing sight of my original goal. i didn't necessiraly want to ride a katana, i just wanted to ride on two wheels!
                  "he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man"- Dr. Gonzo

Comment

I have an '01 Kat 600 -- my second Kat (had an '00 before that). My GF has the Ninja 500.

Here's my advice:
                    Go find something that you can afford to buy in cash. Period.
                    Why? Because this is your first bike. You will drop it, scratch it, etc as part of the learning process. It's virtually inevitable. If you drop a $1000 - $1500 starter bike that's paid off, you might get mad at yourself, but you won't cry. If you drop a $5k bike that you are upside-down on, you may well do so in the middle of the night, when you realize the consequences...
                    Additionally, a $1500 bike will get you $1500 again at the end of a year or two of riding if it's in anywhere close to the condition it was when you bought it.

That said, I ride both bikes at different times. The top speed on the Ninja 500 is around 120. The top speed on the Kat 600 is about 135. On the other hand, the feeling of speed is much higher on the Ninja 500 because of it's diminutive size and it's a much better handler. The Kat has the better torque range -- but the ninja will make you the better rider and teach you habits that will serve you well through-out your riding life. The ninja will also be somewhat cheaper to maintain, because it uses smaller tires, smaller chain, fewer spark plugs, etc. IMHO: if you tend to stick to within 100 miles of home, get the ninja. If you cover vast distances (cross-country travel), go for the Katana. But in either case, look for a cheap used one as your first bike...

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i agree with cyber...please PLEASE buy a used bike in CASH. you'll thank yourself later. seriously, get a nice used one.
                      Hello World.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyro
                        well, i was hoping everyone would tell me that i'd be perfectly happy with the 500, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
                        Pyro....I am going to go against everyone here. Although they make some good points....harrye with his input on capitalism...all the guys who tell you to wait...etc...etc.
                        I remember what it was like to want my first bike. Of course you may have one particular in mind, but that is not always practical. I wanted a Honda Interceptor when I was looking way back then....and ended up getting a Nighthawk because that is what I could afford.
                        My point...the Ninja is a perfectly good little bike. If you want to ride this year and that is all you can get, then go for it. Screw what other riders may think. Screw it if you lose $1000-1500 on resale. If you really want to ride this year...then ride. Is it not worth $1000 to ride the open road for a year? hell ya!
                        Unlike harrye's phylosophie on life....sacrifice today for greater material goods tomorrow...well no offense to him and his beliefs, but screw that. If it was a home we were talking about, I can see it that way. But this about a bike and being able to ride. So if it was me, I would try a couple of other resources for obtaining credit for the kat, but if it doesn't work out, then finance the Ninja and ride.
                        It's all about now and all about the riding. Forget about image...image means crap. If it is image that worries you, then you have got your priorities messed up.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I go along with what CyberPoet has said. I've been around motorcycles since the mid 70's & have had both new & used bikes. Buy a used bike you can afford & learn how to not only ride it, but how to repair it. Then when the funds allow, you can either modify the bike you're riding or save up & get a new/newer bike. My current rider is a '81 GS750 which I rebuilt last year. My current project is a '97 Kat 750. But being a little long in the tooth I prefer the older bikes that are paid for to the new ones that the financial institutions let me use while paying for it. The older paid for bike I believe would bring you more enjoyment, especially when you get it the way you want it, & for a lot less money.

Comment

that's fine if he wants to bother with the modding and all that stuff...then I agree, get an older one.
                            But what if he doesn't know a crescent wrench from a screwdriver? What if he just doesn't care about all the modding at this point? What if he just wants to ride? Just remember that with an older bike also comes more maintenance and repairs. A new one has a warantee.

This is just my opinion, but it seems the advice is getting a bit complicated. It should be known if he is mechanically inclined before suggesting older bikes and modding and stuff. If he isn't, then a new bike with a warantee and adequate insurance is what he should be aiming for. He is going to be alot more frustrated with an older bike if a coil burns out and he has to go pay $200 to have a dealer fix it for him.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                              This is just my opinion, but it seems the advice is getting a bit complicated. It should be known if he is mechanically inclined before suggesting older bikes and modding and stuff. If he isn't, then a new bike with a warantee and adequate insurance is what he should be aiming for. He is going to be alot more frustrated with an older bike if a coil burns out and he has to go pay $200 to have a dealer fix it for him.
                              In that case, we should also ask him his body weight, how many muscles he has and his inseam measurement, to decide if a Kat is too big or the ninja 500 is too small for him...

Hmmmm...
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X