Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

anyone garage smell like gas after parking the bike inside?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Malloc, I have the same problem... no leak that I could see but my dad complains about the smell of gas when its parked in the garage but then goes away after about a day and a half of sitting there...

Comment

Hmmmm I thought that was normal for motorcycles?

Even my dirt bikes and other street bikes have been like this. After a ride I let it sit outside for a bit before pulling into the garage...and then no gas smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiKat08 View Post
        Yes Malloc, I have the same problem... no leak that I could see but my dad complains about the smell of gas when its parked in the garage but then goes away after about a day and a half of sitting there...
        ok i started to leave it outside a few min first now or leave the garage open and breeze out a bit b4 closing it up , seems to help alot more on less sell now .
        sigpic

Comment

had the same issue, used to pull right into the garage when I got home. Now I leave the bike in the driveway for about 20 min before putting it away. No problems since
          "It is not how these officers died that made them heroes.... It's how they lived"

Comment

Yep, I definitely have that problem on my '06. Only have 1000 miles, but it was apparently dropped by the previous owner so I wondered if that had something to do with it, but it sounds like it's a pretty common problem. I guess I'll just let it air out before bringing it in the garage.

Comment

considering you have dropped it on it's side, have you drained the airbox drain hose lately? you could have fuel sitting in their....mine did after my lowside last year....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

My 06 has been sitting in my basement for the past 5 months (stupid winter) and there is only a VERY small sense of gas smell if you stick yer head next to the tank and inhale heavily. Really, I don't notice it even inside the living space of the house.
                I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

I smell a faint scent of gas when I'm really close to the bike. I've experienced that with every bike I've ever owned except my SV650 which was fuel injected and had some emissions crap. I think a little scent is normal for any carbureted motorcycle. A strong smell would indicate a leak of some kind. Watch for staining and puddles...
                  My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Thanks teddy, I'll check that. From the looks of my oil sight glass (level appears to have increased) I'm getting fuel in my oil so I think I may have additional issues to address. I'm trying to avoid cleaning/troubleshooting the carbs if at all possible, any suggestions of other things I can try before launching into that effort? Thanks...

Comment

Ok, uncapped the drain plug and an ounce or two of fuel came pouring out. Only one of the two hoses had a cap on it, should they have both had caps? What is the other hose? Can I get away with not replacing the air filter if I allow it to drain and air out with the hose uncapped, or is that a mandatory filter replacement? Thanks for any help/guidance.

Comment

Leaky petcock maybe, mine leaks a little when you turn it, but otherwise it's fine. Maybe thats it.

Comment

Originally posted by c50sooner View Post
                          Ok, uncapped the drain plug and an ounce or two of fuel came pouring out. Only one of the two hoses had a cap on it, should they have both had caps? What is the other hose? Can I get away with not replacing the air filter if I allow it to drain and air out with the hose uncapped, or is that a mandatory filter replacement? Thanks for any help/guidance.
                          only one of them is capped...your air filter should be fine, it has happened to me twice and I have yet to replace the filter...the other hose is a crankcase breather i believe, but not positive on that, i haven't torn the bike down that much to find out for certain

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I smell some in my garage juuuuuust a little after a good ride.
                            Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                            '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                            '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                            '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                            I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

I just noticed that my 03' Kat started marking his turf in that manner lolol but, after reading all of the replies and seeing no evidence of leaking I'm confident that it's because I parked him hot! We had a couple of rare sunny and dry 68 degree days in louisville,ky the last week of January so, like a moth to a flame I was on the road rippin' up my favorite streets!!

Comment

Working...
                              X