X

What octane fuel do you use?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What octane fuel do you use?

What octane do you use? I am using 92 or better but would like to try the cheaper if it would not hurt my 05 kat 750 with only 25 miles so far. any suggestions or responses.

I use the lowest octane they sell. 89 I think. My 01 600 Kat runs just fine on it.

Comment

I use the cheapest.(87 I think) I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by suzuki2000
        I use the cheapest.(87 I think) I haven't had a problem with it yet.
        Yea, thats it. 87 octane.

Comment

i use the top stuff. i havne't really noticed a difference in it, but its only a couple cents more.
          if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

the kat is built for 87 octane -i use 89 because my bike runs a little hotter due to the ignition advancer.
            (i'm sure 87 would work in the cool winter months though )

"Octane Myth #1 - Higher octane fuel is "more powerful" and "burns hotter"

The difference in total energy between high octane and regular gas is insignificant. In fact, race gas often has slightly less energy by weight than pump gas! High octane fuels are generally harder to ignite, and burn more slowly than ones with low octane. In some cases, an engine optimized to run on 87 octane gas will produce less power when fed racing gasoline due to the slower ignition and combustion characteristics of the high octane fuel.

The number we most often associate with octane is the "Anti-Knock Index", or the "Pump Octane" number. This rating is an average of two different measurements; the Motor Octane Number, and the Research Octane Number. Both of these measurements are taken using a special single cylinder test engine that has a variable compression ratio. The RON measures the knock resistance of a fuel during low RPM, light load conditions, while the MON is representative of high-speed, high load operation. As a result the MON will always be lower than the RON, but for our purposes the Motor Octane Number is more significant because it represents the way racing engines are operated.

Octane Myth #2 - Putting premium and/or race gas in my car will give me better performance

Engines are designed to run on gas with a certain AKI. Putting premium in a car that was designed to run on regular gas and doesn't knock is just throwing money away. If an engine doesn't knock on 87 octane gas, there is no advantage to using gasoline with a higher octane number. However, many engines with electronic controls have a knock sensor as part of their computer system. This sensor actually listens for knock, and can change the engine timing or even cut boost in a factory turbocharged car when it detects knock. Some anti-knock systems are sensitive enough that it's possible for them to reduce the performance of the engine without you ever hearing audible detonation. The bottom line - Read your owner's manual to determine the correct octane rating for your car and see if it can take advantage of premium fuel.

Obviously, an engine's octane requirement can change. Increasing the compression ratio, adding a turbo or supercharger, changing the air/fuel ratio, or advancing the ignition timing can all cause knock. Even without modifications, over time combustion chamber deposits build up and can lead to a need for higher octane fuel. The best way to determine what your engine needs is to listen to what it's telling you - Audible knock is a sign that damage to the engine is imminent! Better still are scan tools that can read the engine control computer's built-in knock sensor, or a stand-alone system that detects detonation. There's also the old fashioned but most accurate method is reading your plugs for signs of detonation. Whatever the case, it's worth the time to determine what your engine's real octane needs are. Too little, and you flirt with engine damage. Too much, and you're wasting money and quite possibly reducing performance."

tim

Comment

Sinclare stations here have 93 octane with a 10% ethanol mix in it. Thats what I run in all my toys

Comment

My baby runs just fine on 87. Now that she just got a transplant though, I am not so sure.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

I run 87 octane as well, that is what our bikes are designed to burn. You can vary octane ratings according to modifications and so forth, maybe Cyber will see this post, I know he can give you a good run down on octane, but I know for a fact that 87 octane will not hurt your bike. And now that unleaded keeps going up and up in price, I wouldnt use the high octane fuels anyway.
                  2000 Kat 600
                  "Fast Blue"
                  Pic in Profile

Comment

87 ocatane used to be, just a few weeks ago, about 1.83 a gallon..from then to now, its 2.19 !!! WTF !! and the super, is up to 2.39 !!!

Comment

I use only 93 octane unless I am some place where they do not sell 93oc, some place where there is not a Sinclaire or BP Amoco station.
                      I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

I really only use 93 octane..I mean filling up with less than $8.00...I think its worth it.

Comment

Not the top... not the bottom: 89 its my choice. And it runs smooth like an electric motor.
                          D&K

Comment

track day i put a half gallon b4 i race which is 108 or 105 and then i put a nother gallon and half with my 94 in there after, and she runs great!!!! but i dont do that too often only on race days

Comment

I USED to run 87 , last year or so been running 89 . My Kat has had some engine work done (Wiseco pistons and overbore, 5* advance) and I was worried about damaging it with low-octane gas . I didn't ever notice any problems with the cheap stuff then , but to be on the safe side I've been running the 89 since I heard I COULD damage it with the cheap stuff . SO I imagine you guys with stock Kats should be just fine with the cheap stuff .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X