No announcement yet.
X

Speed shifting...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent most of the end of last season not using the clutch except for when I was stopping (but that's cuz I did something to my thumb that made it hurt like hell when I used it and thus pulling in the clutch was a slightly painful experience).
    and yes, I did downshift too without the clutch.
    - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Only way to describe it is, If you dont feel right doing it you probably shouldnt .... I just hear the RPMs
      2004 CBR 1000 RR I dont gottagofaster anymore ....

Comment

Can you hert the gears of the bike not useing the clucth on up shifting?

Comment

Originally posted by gottagofaster
          Only way to describe it is, If you dont feel right doing it you probably shouldnt .... I just hear the RPMs
          Thats good advice for all aspects of riding.

Comment

I occasionally use it for the 4-5 and 5-6 shifts when I'm in a hurry. Using it for the other shifts just doesn't seem smooth enough to NOT be doing any damage.....
            FrankenKat 1216
            GS Fiter 816
            GSXR750! (race)

Comment

i do it when i'm riding normal, or my hands not on the clutch (resting it). but i don't do it when i race or ride hard...
              if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Can you hert the gears of the bike not useing the clucth on up shifting?
                Yes. You absolutely can do damage.
                I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                  Originally posted by gottagofaster
                  Thats good advice for all aspects of riding.
                  Thats good advice in all aspects of life!!

Actually I was just thiunking the other day how silky smooth speed shifting is on the Kat..
                  I will do it when I want to short shift, rarely under power. you barely have to move the throttle to get it to go up.
                  It'll go 2-3-4 no problem. just a SNIK..
                  Above 7 K ? Or accelerating hard? Nope..
                  But putting around town? yup..
                  Never on the down side..

Comment

Coming home last night I THINK I lost my clutch cable (felt a pop and freeplay went from a few mm's to like an INCH) and rode the rest of the way home clutch-less (like 20 miles) . It's a good idea to give it a try just in case the need arises so you can still make it home ...
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                      Coming home last night I THINK I lost my clutch cable (felt a pop and freeplay went from a few mm's to like an INCH) and rode the rest of the way home clutch-less (like 20 miles) . It's a good idea to give it a try just in case the need arises so you can still make it home ...
                      What did it turn out to be? And what suggestions can you make for down shifting?

Comment

All the time except for 1st and 2nd gears
                        Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

I never have. Maybe I'll try it someday.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

I use clutch to take off and to down shift. Pretty much thats it. I put 23k on my last bike without an ounce of trouble.
                            Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                            6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                            5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter

What did it turn out to be? And what suggestions can you make for down shifting?
                              Well , I don't really know just yet , as I haven't really messed with it much . I readjusted the freeplay like normal , and it seems to be holding there , but I'm getting another cable anyway , as I'd BET that's what's wrong .
                              As for tips ... Well , best I can tell you is let the RPM's drop pretty low (I was doing it around 3k or so) , let off the gas , and just step down on the shifter a bit . don't STOMP , as it doesn't always want to go . If that's the case , sometimes goosing the throttle , letting off , and trying again works (unload the tranny) . That's just my experience , though .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

from time to time. Usually when I'm on it hard
                                rock
                                always working on mods

Comment

Working...
                                X