X

Decisions, Decisions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisions, Decisions

So, I dont know why, but I cant last more than an hour while riding on my bike...I just cant take it, its like pure pain trying to ride. Everythings cramps, I cant get comfortable, and its just painful.

Im 6'4''...maybe that can explain why I always feel cramped (but I always thought I fit the bike pretty good)

In any case, its not even summer yet and I really cant sit and be comfortable anymore...almost like I dont want to ride because of it.

So in any case, are any of you guys going through the discomfort I go through?
    Its to the point where I am considering a trade...maybe a bigger bike (one that is longer) or even a cruiser....blah this sucks

How long have you had the bike?
    My cousin is 6'6" and had a Kat and was ok.
    Have you been sick? How old are you?
    Maybe its that time of the month?

I have an ankle that I have broken and sprained 9 times, and about an hour into a ride it starts to throb, I sometimes take some advil with me.

Maybe a bigger bike is in your future.....
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

when i first got my kat, i would get sore in my shoulders back and arms.. anything more than 30-60 and I hate to stop and rest...but that subsided after a couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Katgirl
        How long have you had the bike?
        My cousin is 6'6" and had a Kat and was ok.
        Have you been sick? How old are you?
        Maybe its that time of the month?

I have an ankle that I have broken and sprained 9 times, and about an hour into a ride it starts to throb, I sometimes take some advil with me.

Maybe a bigger bike is in your future.....
        Well this is one year (this month) in which I owned the bike. Being tall really blows, you can fit on anything comfortablly and you look like your giving birth to it lol. Im in perfect shape, nothing has happened to me since last year..Maybe I dealt with it in the summer last yr because I was so pumped over having a bike...but man its catching up to me quick. Im 21 too
        Afraid to say it, but I agree with you

Comment

maybe your mind is playing tricks on you and telling you to get a hayabusa. yup, i think that's what it is.
          Hello World.

Comment

Now comes the time where I look to trade her in?

Id like to trade it for something in which I dont have to pay money on...just trade out right.

Or I can consider selling it (hopefully Id get $2200 or so for it) and start all over again..but then Id be missing out on summer rides while I look for a new bike.

I think trading it would be a good choice right now, I dont think I can go without a bike

Ill just have to keep my eyes open, looking for ppl interested in trades (not gonna be easy) lol

Comment

Originally posted by irenekat
              maybe your mind is playing tricks on you and telling you to get a hayabusa. yup, i think that's what it is.
              now thats a thought hmm

Comment

PILLS ARE GOOD!!!! if plan on riding more than 30minutes BRING PILLS!!

Just kidding. Im short 5' 5'' and had to lower my kat but i can ride 3hours and not hurt, except my right hand cramps cause my thumb has been dislocated alot.
                " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

wow, i thought 3 hours can only be achieved on a cruiser lol

Comment

Re: Decisions, Decisions

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
                    So, I dont know why, but I cant last more than an hour while riding on my bike...I just cant take it, its like pure pain trying to ride. Everythings cramps, I cant get comfortable, and its just painful.

Im 6'4''...maybe that can explain why I always feel cramped (but I always thought I fit the bike pretty good)

Well, there are four paths you can go down:

(A) Adjust the bike to fit your personal frame. If you're getting back pain, get a Corbin saddle (and ask them to tailor it to your inseam length -- no extra charge), a taller windsheild to reduce wind drag (or a shorter one to get more wind supporting your chest at speed and unload your wrists), handle bar risers, and possibly some rearsets for the footpegs if you're getting knee cramps as well. These will all change the ergonomics of your bike (or any other bike) to suit your taller nature better.

(B) Trade the bike in against something designed for a taller rider. BMW's GS series, Suzuki's VStrom 650/1000, possibly SV1000, Triumph's Tiger all give you a very upright stance and are particularly well suited to taller riders with long inseams. At least one of these will fit you more comfortably (hint: I'm betting at 6'4" BMW's 1200GS will fit you particularly well).

(C) If you're out of shape, get out the gym or start taking Tai Chi or Yoga. Most soreness from riding usually comes from underdevelopment of certain muscles and/or a lack of limberness, and exercising/stretching those muscles will help compensate by strengthening them in advance. Drinking extra fluids before riding also helps.

(D) If you have a passenger, change the passenger's seating or position so you don't have to support as much of their weight.

I'll grant that I'm only 5'9", but it takes about a 1300 - 1400 mile day for me to start feeling truly sore & miserable on the Kat (I do have the corbin saddle -- the only ergonomics change).

PS - it could also be something much simpler, such as not having the controls positioned well to where your hands come to rest -- requiring you to contort to activate them properly.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I am 6'5", and I think the Kat is pretty darn comfortable. The only problem I have is a bum left knee. That gets sore after a while. Are you relaxed while riding??
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

yea im relaxed...but u have the corbin seat right?
                        I dont know if the newer Kats are more comfortable either?

Comment

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
                          Now comes the time where I look to trade her in?

Id like to trade it for something in which I dont have to pay money on...just trade out right.

Or I can consider selling it (hopefully Id get $2200 or so for it) and start all over again..but then Id be missing out on summer rides while I look for a new bike.

I think trading it would be a good choice right now, I dont think I can go without a bike

Ill just have to keep my eyes open, looking for ppl interested in trades (not gonna be easy) lol
                          If you do decide to sell it in the near future, I may know of someone who can take it off your hands.... besides Keith

Comment

PS - based on this pic in your ride profile:

I think a Corbin would probably go a long way to helping (get you further back on the seat). Yes, the 98+ are a bit bigger (I'm sure you should be able to find someone around here to let you sit/ride on theirs for a little while), but I'm not sure that the differences would be enough to make you comfy... I'm also thinking that it appears your brake lever may be too high in rotation (compared to where your arms and wrists are) to be comfortable.

I think someone has (had?) a pre-98 Corbin for sale in the for sale section...

Q: is your bike stock? It may just be your height, but it looks a little lowered to me...

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have the Gel Seat. I find that quite comfy as well.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X