X

Bliping the throttle...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bliping the throttle...

I've been tought by my friends to "blip" my throttle when ever I gear down for a smoother gear change. I was wondering if anyone ellse rode with this sort of style, and if it damages the engine.

Cheers

Tokalosh
    YES
    0%
    NO
    0%

Blip away brother!!!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Definitely blipping is the way to go. Not blipping is more likely to cause problems (mainly the chance of a rear wheel lockup... not fun).

My only problem is to practice more how to blip while using the front brake. At the moment I have to back off the brake to blip. Any tips on this would be appreciated.
      fulcrum (aka David)
      Blue 2004 GSX750F
      Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
      If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

practice my friend, practice is the only way

this needs to become intuitive, if the bike didn't make any sounds, I would not realize I am doing it most of the time now, I just don't think about it

I would say it took me about 1.5 seasons to get comfortable with the brake/blip/clutch/downshift routine. Also, I generally only use 1 or 2 fingers on the front brake lever. This also took a while to get used to, but now I ride with at least one finger on the front brake at all times. Even commuting. (index finger)
        I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I blip all the blipping time
          - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

blippity blip blip
            Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
            Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I do it. I don't know if it serves any purpose? I just like the sound of my exhaust!!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by suzuki2000
                I don't know if it serves any purpose?
                ah, but it does.
                [technical explanation] it matches engine speed to road speed [/technical explanation]
                :mrgreen:
                - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Always blip, one of the first things I learned to do
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

blip blaster
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    Lean in Lean out.
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
                    2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
                    2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
                    2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

You can 'blip' or you can rev match.

Comment

I need to start doing this. I do it in my car all the time, but I don't have it down pat yet on my bike. I'm workin' on it though!
                        "Of what is significant in one's own existence one is hardly aware, and it certainly should not bother the other fellow. What does a fish know about the water in which he swims all his life?" -- Einstein

sadrik
                        00 Blue VFR800, '99 Blue Katana 750

Comment

Blip, rip, snort, whatever it takes to match those revs closely as I'm moving down the gears. IMHO: Failure to blip combined with too high a velocity as newbie riders go back down into second and first is the primary cause of all transmission problems in Kats.

Rule of thumb: the blip should be worth at least 1000 RPM to get you into the right range for the next gear down... Overshooting it and then catching the perfect RPM level as the engine starts to drop revs again is a good way to start

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

blip blip blip blip, okay now I'm in first!

Comment

blip is good, and fun to do
                              Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Working...
                              X