X

It's about that time again.. wildlife

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's about that time again.. wildlife

md86 came up w/ a point in another thread, and thought it worthy of a thread its own.

It's riding season again for alot of us, and that means animals making their deathwish a reality by wandering right out in the middle of your path. So be careful out there, and tell us your tips you use to help avoid animals and those bad situations that can arise while riding, especially for those of us that ride at night alot. Tell us your close calls and animal encounters you've had while riding.

loud pipes saves lives -

tim

Comment

Lots of deer and wild turkey out here where I live. I try to maintain 55 mph and am constantly scanning the roadsides for the 8 miles it takes me to get out of country. Always have an escape plan. I know it's easy to say, but you always have to be prepared. My insurance agent gave me some deer whistles to install on all of our vehicles. I even put a set under the headlight fairing on the Kat. I don't know if they really work or not but many people say they do.
      Never had any close calls. Since deer are most active at night ( dark when I go to work. ) if I see the eyes reflecting I slow down and get as far away from them on the road as I can. I hope that none of us Katriders ever have a wreck with an animal or anything else. Be careful and scan the roads.

Comment

I carry a frying pan and a fork. I'm always ready to get some fresh meat.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
          Now that's funny!!!

I was thinking more of a shotgun...kill two birds with one stone...Kill dinner and then bring it home for cooking....also bad cagers can now fear us...
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
            "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

I managed to score some kills on the highway today!!!

"The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

In my safety class I was told that if I have to encounter a dog than to simply slow down to change the meeting point of me and the dog and when he changes paths to go towards me then speed up so he will wiss me . For all others I will come bach with a shut gun and my truck , You know the rest
                Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

Wife and I came within 10 feet of a deer on a full sprint couple of years ago. We stopped so she could collect her whits. We were traveling about 45 mph and I guess the deer was goin about 25. Certainly opened my eyes!

Comment

My lid always looks like macka's after i get home from work in the summer

worst thing that scared the hell out me the most when was when I got hit by a stray flying chicken that somehow flew out of the back of a chicken truck that I couldnt pass at nite..yeah that hurt, and the greasy chicken feathers were gross!! Caught me square in the chest, then bounced up onto my head and over! OUCH !!

Comment

Originally posted by zukiman
                      My insurance agent gave me some deer whistles to install on all of our vehicles. I even put a set under the headlight fairing on the Kat. I don't know if they really work or not but many people say they do.
                      I did a little reading on this on the net....on several sites about driving safely when it comes to deer. They all say the same thing....they CAN work, but do not rely on them. In other words, use the same caution you would if you didn't have them.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

MY dad used to have those on his car when I was growing up, and then I saw someone w/ them on his goldwing. I asked him about them, and he said, well, I ride alot at night, and Ive not come in contact w/ a deer yet, so what do you think? nuff said

Comment

I've read that you should aim for the animal (not dogs or cows , though) , because it'll try to run SOME direction or other , and if you aim to be where he is NOW , by the time you get there he WON'T be . Make sense ? Dogs are just frikkin nuts , though ! And cows aren't gonna move for you . Yes , I know this one firsthand !
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I've had those whistles on my Jeep for years, never had a problem, could just be lucky, who knows. On the off chance it works, why not?

Luckly never encountered anything on the bike (knock on wood)
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Honestly, wear your gear! Wear wear wear wear it all.
                              I had a friend who went out on a shake down on his new (to him) bike, and spend 1 night in the hospital and totalled his CBR. Deer are suicidal but you shouldnt be, wear your gear. And this was in town! In some residential neighborhood, toward the edge of town some deer wandered in and jumped from behind a bush, hard to fault the rider, but gear would have helped the hospital bills.
                              Gear is good,
                              Mmmm'k?

Comment

Working...
                              X