X

Turn Signal Problems????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Signal Problems????

Just got the bike back together yesterday. Now I'm having problems with the signals.... The come on, but don't flash. I changed the flasher relay with no luck. I also changed the rear stock lights to flush mounts, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it..... Hope someone can help me before Weds. when I work on it, so I don't hafta search for the problem.....

Thanks.....
    '07 SV1000S
    Power Commander III USB
    M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
    Driven 520 chain kit
    Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Are your signals regular bulbs or leds?

Comment

so its just the rear that wont flash, or all 4 of them?

Comment

shouldn't matter if they're LED's or not, if they're coming on, then the polarity is right. I'd check bulbs in the front

Comment

See:
          CyberPoet's MC Electrical Diagnostics -- Read section 4

This almost always happens when either the grounding path for the blinkers is poor (easier to go through another blinker than to the proper ground), or the wires on one set of blinkers is reverse polarity.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Aside from possible electical problems...I actually have two sets of wires up front and one stays on all the time, whereas the others are the blinkers.

(by the way, anyone know what these extra-permenantly lit ones are for? foggies?)

Comment

actually, if you have an 1157 bulb that works as a parking light/flasher combo, and just the flasher part of it is burnt, the flasher on the opposite end will come on but not flash. Also the indicator on the dash will come on but not flash. what i am saying is they will all look fine but just not flash. change the bulb. bur if it is doing it on both sides, than it is another problem.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp

(by the way, anyone know what these extra-permenantly lit ones are for? foggies?)
                Are you talking about the "third eye" that was on the 98+?

Comment

Aside from possible electical problems...I actually have two sets of wires up front and one stays on all the time, whereas the others are the blinkers.

The extra constant power wires are useualy for parking/runing lights that stay on all the time. For the light sockets that have a 3 wire lead.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

All 4 are not blinking...... I'll have time to mess with it on tomarrow...... Thanks...... You guys are great.........
                    '07 SV1000S
                    Power Commander III USB
                    Driven 520 chain kit

Comment

Originally posted by *GP*
                      shouldn't matter if they're LED's or not, if they're coming on, then the polarity is right. I'd check bulbs in the front
                      Yep, first thing I would do is check the wiring, then check/change the bulbs.
                      "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

Could be wiring for the California model's thermostat/fan arrangement... I'm guessing here, since I don't know what the wiring loom has as connectors on the pre-98's at the front. There's a 6-pin (4 wires used) connector at the front right of the 98+ for that...

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well, found out what it was...... not enough watts........ Flasher relay wouldn't flash...... had to take the lights and hook up the parking and turn lights up to the turn signal wires to get enough watts. Funny thing is that I took the relay off my '93 beater bike and hooked it up and they flash no matter what is hooked to them...... even LEDS.... but the '92 won't flash if theres not enough watts.....

OH and to steal my own topic........ I bought a riding jacket yesterday!!!!!!
                          '07 SV1000S
                          Power Commander III USB
                          Driven 520 chain kit

Comment

Working...
                          X