X

0 to 60; quarter mile?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0 to 60; quarter mile?

Zero to 60, 0 to 100, and quarter mile times are standard measures of performance for cars. I did a search and found no specifics here on this question.

So does anyone remember any road test of a 600 Katana (maybe in Cycle World Magazine) where these performance times were given? I don't plan to ever subject my machine to any all out abuse, but I am curious as to what kind of performance is inherent in my new 600 Kat.

I'm guessing a rider under 150 lbs (not me) could do 60 mph in around 5 seconds, and the quarter mile in the very low 14's, maybe mid to upper 13's and very close to 100 mph.

And top end? My dealer said 130 to 135mph, but didn't want to say more. Would the 600 Kat be limited in top speed by wind resistance? Would 5th gear be almost as fast as 6th?

I've got a box of some 20 plus year old Cycle World magazines in the attic. I am sure that a few 600cc sportbikes have been tested in the issues that I have. But a lot could have changed in 20 years (for the best, I am not sure).

Re: 0 to 60; quarter mile?

Originally posted by harrye
    Zero to 60, 0 to 100, and quarter mile times are standard measures of performance for cars. I did a search and found no specifics here on this question.
    Yeah, I don't think you'll find any cause it's so subjective to the riders (weight, skill, tires...)

could do 60 mph in around 5 seconds, and the quarter mile in the very low 14's, maybe mid to upper 13's and very close to 100 mph.
    I think this sounds right...but I have a pre 98

And top end? My dealer said 130 to 135mph, but didn't want to say more. Would the 600 Kat be limited in top speed by wind resistance? Would 5th gear be almost as fast as 6th?
    That's about right as well. I think there's about a 5mph difference when tucked and untucked. You could always do a sproket change for better 0-60 times, or one for longer legs in 6th gear.

Comment

Re: 0 to 60; quarter mile?

As Kickitjp mentioned, there are so many variables that affect acceleration times that most magazines simply don't print them... Rider/load weight, riding position, how wide the shoulders are, air temp & humidity, when the shift is performed (at what RPM) and how cleanly, etc. Occassionally you'll see trap information for quarter mile times (105 - 114 mph, 12.x seconds is often banded about around here), but even that is rare, as motorcycles of this sort aren't bought normally for drag racing (esp in stock form), which is predominantly what those numbers represent.

The bike magazines tend to answer the questions riders usually want to know -- how does it handle, what's the midrange like, what's the braking distance, how long between services, what's the ergo's and what's top-gear passing times (which you will find quoted more commonly) for 70 to 100 or 60-100, etc. You might want to search out BIKE (UK) magazine which often lists such technical info for the newest bikes out, as well as powerband graphs of the torque and HP as their dyno measures it.

Top speed on your bike will be between 125 and 138, depending on a variety of factors, including chain condition (driveline losses can play a major role and a worn chain can easily suck 10% off the power of a bike), your position on the bike, the type of oil you use, and how well the break-in process went.

Since you haven't been riding in over a decade from what I recall, you'll be blown away compared to what you were used to

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I think this is yet another thread covered. I will always throw in my .02. A 160 pound rider can get more speed out of a bike than a 230 pound rider. Now on the reverse of that I did a dyno test on my bike and proved that a 170 rider doesn't help put the lowend grunt to the ground like a heavier rider.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I ran my 99 at the drag strip in 2000 and turned times in the low 12s. Just shy of 100 mph.

Comment

all i know is that my 02 RC51 will do probably mid 10s in the 1/4 mile. i'd be interested in finding out at the strip sometime though.
            if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Damn Steve, wanna trade?

Comment

Speaking of quarter mile times, I just got my cycle world and the CBR 600 ran 9's stock with Rickey Gadson as the pilot. Awesome!
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

lightweights! (literally)

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                    Speaking of quarter mile times, I just got my cycle world and the CBR 600 ran 9's stock with Rickey Gadson as the pilot. Awesome!

man....i wish i could have known this like 2 weeks ago. i'm jealous. what does the busa run again?
                    if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Busa runs 9's!!
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      Who knows what is next?

Comment

this is with my 89 750 wit hstage 1 jet kit and full exhaust, i weigh 135
                        Attached Files

Comment

we need to do a KR track day at some point and see what all of our times are!!

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                            Busa runs 9's!!
                            Quite true. 9's on a 600??!! That's insane!!! The new 600's and literbikes would take the Busa by 'bout half a bike length in the quarter.

But after that.... they're mine!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                              we need to do a KR track day at some point and see what all of our times are!!
                              That is a great idea IMHO, another way for everyone to get together! Even if you don't race.
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              Who knows what is next?

Comment

Working...
                              X