No announcement yet.
X

Talk me into getting a Katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get the kat..you'll get tired of the 500 quick. also, i agree wit dennis a bit...get the SV650S. i prefer the older style, but the newer style look good too with the lower on! think about it..they're about the same price. sit on both and see which is more comfy
    Hello World.

Comment

thanks for all the responses guys. I actually started to look at the sv650s after one you guys suggested it. It looks ok but even better with a full fairing so that will be a must. Next time I'm at the shop I will have to sit on one and see how it feels.

Comment

Re: Talk me into getting a Katana 600

Originally posted by canzures
        I want to stick with sport bikes because at 25 years old, I find them appealling and when I'm older like 40 I can switch to cruisers.

Get the 600 Kat or the SV650. Both great bikes. The SV is lighter and fuel injected. As for buying a cruiser when you're 40, you might actually re-think that when you get there. Many of us around 40 are still driving sportbikes like the Katanas and SVs or other sportbikes.

Comment

Re: Talk me into getting a Katana 600

Originally posted by Owlman
          Originally posted by canzures
          I want to stick with sport bikes because at 25 years old, I find them appealling and when I'm older like 40 I can switch to cruisers.

Get the 600 Kat or the SV650. Both great bikes. The SV is lighter and fuel injected. As for buying a cruiser when you're 40, you might actually re-think that when you get there. Many of us around 40 are still driving sportbikes like the Katanas and SVs or other sportbikes.
          I didn't intend to offend anybody as when I refered to hitting 40. The context when I said that was based on how I would feel at about 40. Cruisers do appeal to me as a bike that I would like to own. But since my pockets would only allow me to have 1 bike I would rather stick with a sport bike as a first bike before a cruiser. If somewhere down the line my checkbook would allow, I would look into having both a sport and a cruiser.

Comment

I got a Katana 600 as my first bike. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten an SV650 as others suggested. The standard SV is actually more comfortable than the Katana. It doesn't have the wind protection that the Katana offers, so it's not suited as well for highway riding, but there is SO much after market support for that bike it's unbelievable.

Another option would be to get an SV650S and put the standard SV's bars on it. Once you ride a bike with a true handlebar on the street, it's difficult to ride a bike with clip-ons ever again, that's for sure.

The SV is lighter, more nimble, and much better handling. Again, it's not a good highway cruiser, so if that's what you'll be using the bike for, then the Kat is a better choice. If you want to learn how to ride the twisties well, the SV is a much better choice, hands down.

The Ninja 500 is a more nimble bike than the Kat, too. It's got PLENTY of power for a beginner rider. Anyone who says a 500 doesn't have enough power needs to learn how to ride. A Ninja 500 ridden well will slaughter a squid on a Gixxer 1000. Period... It's the rider MUCH more than the ride.

So, the Katana is an awesome commuter bike. It's super simple technology making it VERY easy and cheap to work on. It's got decent wind protection. Its ergos are acceptible for long distance riding.

The SV is an awesome machine for the twisties. Once you get very comfortable, you can upgrade the suspension to make it an INCREDIBLE handling machine. If you want comfort for commuting, you simply cannot beat having a handlebar. An SV650S with a handlebar would be an incredibly awesome all-around bike.
            -Steve

Comment

Oh, and I see you're in Frederick. If you're using it to commute down 270 in stop and go traffic, you'll appreciate the liquid cooling of the SV and the significant weight difference. Plus, it's got the "proper" number of cylinders. 8)
              -Steve

Comment

There ya go. And it's close by.
                -Steve

Comment

^good find, but you could probably find one cheaper S version.
                  Hello World.

Comment

That's an awesome write up Steve in favour of the SV's.

Currently in Ontario because SV's aren't blacklisted(yet) they are very popular with new riders, but for that reason they seemed to be snubbed by the SS crowd.
                    Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
                      Plus, it's got the "proper" number of cylinders. 8)
                      I couldn't have said it better.....

Comment

I own a SV650s and I could'nt be more happier. It rides so smooth on the twisties and freeway. It's very light and flickable. Everytime I take it out for a ride I like it even more.
                        Get on it and Ride!

Comment

I bought a new kat 600 in 1993, I still have it and live ridding it. I would recomend it to any newish ridder. If your honest about your ridding ability it is not that easy to grow out of.

Comment

TEAM GREEN
                            PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
                            The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

well i've had both bikes

the support for the ninja 500 is pretty much gone - the front springs are too soft & for a 200 lbs guy you'd need stiffer springs & with the smaller rims your limited on rubber choices.

i'd buy the kat. if your going to spend more time on the back roads buy the sv650 - but for highway duty the kat is hard to beat. don't be put off by the 750 is has a little more HP but is also geared more for the touring side.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by UFO8MyCow
                                TEAM GREEN
                                TROLL!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X