• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Harely riders nicer..(article)

Sunday, April 03, 2005
    By Kenn Peters
    Staff writer
    People who ride Harley-Davidson motorcycles are friendlier and more generous and than people who ride sport bikes.

Not only that, but Harley-Davidson riders like to eat in restaurants with a wait staff.

Harley riders also like their bikes to look good, and they spend money to enhance their appearance, while sport-bike riders prefer to spend their money on performance parts.

You can tell a lot about a person by the kind of motorcycle he or she rides - at least according to a survey of bikers commissioned recently by The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies.

Other discoveries of the survey: An overwhelming majority of riders (88 percent) donate time or money to charities, but two-thirds of Harley riders (67 percent) and one-third of those who ride sport bikes (33 percent) participate in at least one charity ride each year.

And lots of people can't stop thinking about their bikes and the open road; 69 percent of all riders admitted to daydreaming at work each day about riding their bike.

Some must be overwhelmed by their desires because 18 percent of all riders call in sick to work at least once a year to go riding, the survey said.

Shiny paint and bright chrome are a big part of the Harley bikes, so it's no wonder Harley owners said adding custom parts that enhance the look of their bikes was their number one choice (73 percent), while adding performance equipment was the top choice for those who ride sport bikes (44 percent).

These are just a few of the findings in the survey done by Progressive Insurance between Dec. 27, 2004, and Jan. 7, 2005, to help it better define today's motorcycle riders and design coverage for them, said Rick Stern, a project manager for Progressive.

Progressive also knows that motorcycle riders are getting older. The average rider is 43, up from 39 in 1998, and there are about 8.8 million motorcycles in the United States. The number of riders is unknown.

How many of those does Progressive insure? Stern said the company isn't telling, but it does claim to have the largest market share in the industry, at least 1 million riders.

Other findings of the survey include:

Harley riders are more likely to have body art such as tattoos and piercings (52 percent versus 40 percent).

Harley riders are more likely than those who ride sport bikes to plan rides around where they'll eat (32 percent versus 23 percent).

Sport bike riders are three times more likely to eat at fast-food restaurants (18 percent versus 6 percent), while riders of Harleys are nearly four times more likely to pick restaurants with the nicest looking waiters/waitresses (11 percent versus 3 percent).

Harley riders are more likely than sport bikers to ride four or more hours a week (62 percent versus 41 percent).

Because bikes keep increasing in value and because riders ride farther, insurance companies have to tailor their coverage plans to riders' needs, much like they do for automobile policies.

"We know there has to be roadside assistance, and we have to offer more products as the motorcycles get faster and more expensive," Stern said.

and what are we sportbikers to them, chopped liver?? WTF !!

Alot of us have seen this article or a similar one before, but since it just seemed to rear it head again, thought I'd share it.

Comment

Slim! Not a word....

*By the way, she was responsible for the pink escapade on 4/1

Comment

Re: Are Harely riders nicer..(article)

Harley riders also like their bikes to look good, and they spend money to enhance their appearance, while sport-bike riders prefer to spend their money on performance parts.

Thats becouse they already look good stock . for a third of the price
        Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

Re: Are Harely riders nicer..(article)

How many of those does Progressive insure? Stern said the company isn't telling, but it does claim to have the largest market share in the industry, at least 1 million riders.

I don't see how . :^o They were the most expensive for me . By abot $1300 a year
          Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

progressive gave me the best rate for just liability..but going full coverage, yeah that was a bigger jump for me of course, but more so than nationwide was, who I have my cars through now.

Comment

All I gotta say is f**k Progressive . They more than DOUBLED my rate for no apparent reason a couple years ago (no tickets , accidents , NOTHING) on a frikkin CRUISER , so I switched to Geiko .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

do u dance like the gecko too ?

Comment

So let me get this straight.... Hardley Riders are nicer than Ricer Riders.

Hmmmmm...... What If I roll on a Yamaha Road Star or something of the like? Does that mean that they are still nicer than me???
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

WTF, maybe to their own
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                      So what if I do ? doestherobot
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                        Slim! Not a word....

- It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

damn articles only support stereotypes. I make sure my bike looks good. I bought it brand new but does not look like stock at all.

As for being nicer..While i will say the SQUIDS are pricks alot fo time. They look at my katana and laugh or just ride by with no wave, but to their surprise,after i put on sprockets , i may just keep up with them.
                          " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                            Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                            So what if I do ? doestherobot
                            Lou and corey will toss dollar bills at you at the gap if you'll do it

Comment

Originally posted by Slim
                              Originally posted by kickitjp
                              Slim! Not a word....

[count chocula] [/end stupid laugh]

Hiding will do you nothing!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X