X

KATANA 600 VS. GIXXER 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StevieB
    How are they both like to ride? What do they each do well, middling, and poorly? What are the relative merits of owning or riding one, vs. owning or riding the other?
    Well I went from a kat 750 to a gsxr600. THe diff from the kat 7 to the kat 6 to me is pretty much the shifting of geers to stay in power. since they have allmost the same hp and weight. I Got the gsxr and with it yes you have to shift a lot if you want to stay in power. 3rd geer works well for most things as far as power is concerned.

As far as the riding. I found the 03 gsxr seat to be more comfey to me. it is flatter than the kat. The bars are lower and pegs higher so you have to get used to your legs cramped a little more. and you have to rest your weight on the tank that way you dont make your wrists go numb from the weight and buzz of the bars on them. THere is a little less buzz in the bars on the gix than there are on the kat.

What do they each do well? you ride a kat. so you know how it is. The gix is made for speed. plain and simple. comfort is tollorable if you understand what the bike is made for. I would ride mine 10 and 12 hours streight without a problem. it is lighter and more nimble. so it is better on corners. but a seasoned rider on a kat will beat a noob on a gix in the corners.

rellative merrits? idk. a gix normally gets the squid points at tha lot. a kat is for the guy that understands what he baught and why he baught it. The gix has crappy insurance compared to the kat. And the gix has lower gas mialage. It does have quicker throttle responce, 100lb less weight, and more hp on tap. 105-108 at the rear wheel on a actual bike I think is about whare the gsxr stands now a days. Could be wrong on that one tho.

I could sit here and specuate, but the truth is, I am not very qualified to answer those qualatative questions- I have never ridden or owned a gixxer. I could answer if the question was along the lines of "Bandit vs. Kat," as I have owned both at the same time, and made it a point to ride them back-to-back. So, IMHO, what we need here is someone who DOES or HAS owned them both, and can make an informed comparison.

After THAT has been done, THEN you can blast the questioner.
    I had a 98 kat 750 as a first bike. put 11-12k miles on it. then got a 03 gsxr 600 and put 23-25k on it. dont remember exactly now. And now im riding an moderatly built 05 gsxr 1k. I never got real comfortable with the weight of the kat. that is why I baught the first gsxr in the first place.
    Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
    6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
    5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

OMG...you are all way off base...the reason why a Gixxer 600 is faster then a Katana 600 is right in front of your noses!

ITS THE STICKERS!

Comment

Originally posted by Macodad
        CP- You Rock!!!
        That is an awsome answer...
        Yes, it is an good answer- as far as it goes. It addresses the QUANTATIVE (i.e. technical) side of the question, but does nothing to address the QUALATIVE side. How are they both like to ride? What do they each do well, middling, and poorly? What are the relative merits of owning or riding one, vs. owning or riding the other?

I could sit here and specuate, but the truth is, I am not very qualified to answer those qualatative questions- I have never ridden or owned a gixxer. I could answer if the question was along the lines of "Bandit vs. Kat," as I have owned both at the same time, and made it a point to ride them back-to-back. So, IMHO, what we need here is someone who DOES or HAS owned them both, and can make an informed comparison.

After THAT has been done, THEN you can blast the questioner.

I have owned both a gixxer 750 and my kat 750. The gixxer a 92 and my kat a 99. The gixxer was faster and felt better under me I wasnt as reluctant to push it just that little extra in a corrner but the katana seems better balanced it doesent feel as heavy as the gixxer and I can ride it all day. As far as comparing the two side by side, there is none! two total different bikes designed for different riding. The gixxer is designed to be a race replica, and it lives up to it. And the Katana is a crusier with balls and good cornering capability. The only similular thing about the two is they are both made by suzuki. And I think CP sums up the rest!
        "I wanna go fast"

Comment

Working...
        X