X

Opinions please on the 2007 FZ1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please on the 2007 FZ1

What do you think of this bike as a touring bike?

It's a great bike and easy (as well as cheap) to repair if you go down. I really like this bike and would recommend it. I considered a 2006 model before I purchased my current ride. It's fairings, however, are only adequate against wind and rain.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

I saw some reviews for said bike in a couple of mags recently ....
      But you can tour on anything you want . The only thing is what you'd want to improve upon to suit your individual taste . Most seem to think full fairings are good to keep the weather off ya , plush or softer seat , luggage , vibes ....... Just depends on what you consider inportant .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I've read in BIKE magazine that the fuelling for the 06 model sucked (very snatchy throttle) but it was fixed for 07.

FZ1 has always received high marks as a sporty tourer. I think you can get factory hard bags for the 07.
        "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

you can also get the full fairings for one sweet looking bike. One that I've considered as my next depending on how I feel after knee surgery.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by Macka
            I've read in BIKE magazine that the fuelling for the 06 model sucked (very snatchy throttle) but it was fixed for 07.

FZ1 has always received high marks as a sporty tourer. I think you can get factory hard bags for the 07.
            If you are talking about what I think you are talking about you can go to the dealer for a firmware reprogram and get that fixed, should be a freebie.

Comment

Originally posted by Alley_Kat
              Originally posted by Macka

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about you can go to the dealer for a firmware reprogram and get that fixed, should be a freebie.

No you can't, there is no "firmware upgrade" that fixes the problem. The only solution is to get Ivan's FCE mod (Fuel Cut-Off Eliminator I think is what it stands for), and that'll get rid of the problem. That runs about $200 I think.

I just purchased an '06 FZ1, and my opinion is that it is a simply terrific bike. Very comfortable, very quick, very fun. It does like to be wound up.

That "snatchy" throttle thing does exist on my bike, but it isn't anything that's significant enough for me to care about. My bike is currently stock and I am happy with it stock.

My Kat broke down unexpectedly and this was my replacement. To me it feels like a great transition from a Katana because it serves a similar purpose.. It is comfortable, multi functional, and looks great. It doesn't have the full fairing of a Kat (well it does but it's an add-on) but its half-fairing does a good job in my opinion. It's also about 20 lbs lighter than my old kat with double the horsepower.

I hear mixed feelings about using the 2006+ model as a touring bike, but I personally can't wait to hit the road on this thing in the coming years. I was perfectly comfortable for long distances on the Kat, and the FZ1 is even more relaxed than the Kat, so I am good to go in that regard.

Fitting large soft bags, you need to fabricate some kind of ghetto mount to keep the bags from sagging in towards the wheel (it doesn't hit the wheel but it looks kind of dumb) because of the tiny tail.

Comfort for passenger, my girlfriend prefers the FZ1 over the Kat, but that's for a number of reasons... It's smoother and quiter (being a stock exhaust), the rear seat is actually a bit wider than the Katana, and the rear seat isn't as high up from the driver (despite being a 2 piece).

I think anyone that likes the Katana would love the FZ1 (or the FZ1 with lowers if that's what you're about).

Comment

Working...
              X