X

Motor upgrades

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor upgrades

I am wanting to put a few mods on the motor to bring out more of the power . I was thinking that mabey exhoust , jet kit combo would work and some other things . This is for a 04 600 kat . If you have any input on brands and places to get these components that would be great .
    Exhaust
    0.00%
    jet kit
    0.00%
    Jet kit and exhoust
    100.00%
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

the 2 kinda go hand in hand. You won't get all from your exhaust without jetting, and it doesn't make much sense to jet without a new exhaust.
    I would check with SpecialK when he gets back on his feet. I searched for exhaust prices and he was just as good as anyone. I didn't buy from him yet because I needed a used one in order to experiement with something, but when my other kat is ready for one, he will be who I speak to. So give him a shout before you commit to purchase and see what he can do for you.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I would also add an ignition advance to my list.
      If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

How much of a gain do you get with an ingnition adcance? Also where can you pick one up at?

Comment

While I'm leaching info, is there an easy way to tell if you have been jetted? I have a custom exaust, and the previous owner said he did "some stuff" to the engine, but I dont know what.

Comment

you dont gain much in terms of performance w/ an ignition advancer..but they are nice to have and a fairly cheap mod. Noticing the difference in how quickly the bike warms up is a nice benefit.

Comment

You could pull the carbs apart, and check the number on the jets, and then check to see what stock sizes are to see if you have a jet kit or not.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

hand and hand is right, do them both. Thn put a GSX-R 1127 motor in there just like SweetLou.

Comment

The exhaust in general won't make a major difference on a '04 Kat 600 & 750, because they only offer stage 1 jetkits for them, which are designed to work with the stock intake & exhaust. Using larger exhaust headers or grinding out the existing welding lip seam in the stock headers will net you a bit more power on the top end at the price of low-end torque (simple physics), and may require some additional rejetting above and beyond the stock jetkit. Taking out that weld lip seam is a hour to two hour job with a dremel and some bits, which makes a very cheap upgrade, if you tend to value top-end speed over off-the-line speed.

Easy way to tell if there is already a jetkit installed: Pull one of the carb needles. If it has more than one groove close to the top, it is from a jetkit (the stock needle only has a single groove).

I've tried both the K&N/DynoJet kits and Ivan's performance products jetkit, and swear by Ivan's -- it trumps the K&N/DynoJet kit hands down. I haven't tried the factory pro kit yet.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                    you dont gain much in terms of performance w/ an ignition advancer..but they are nice to have and a fairly cheap mod. Noticing the difference in how quickly the bike warms up is a nice benefit.
                    Im not sure how much it helped out my bike, because the upgrades were all done at the same time, but it seemed like after it, it was quicker. Seemed like it kind of really kicked in around 5 or 6k rpms, and after, it kicked in arund 3 or 4 k.
                    If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                      the 2 kinda go hand in hand. You won't get all from your exhaust without jetting, and it doesn't make much sense to jet without a new exhaust.

Im with stupid
                      Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

dude man, just get D&D exhaust for it. you'll be happy with that. theres my suggestion. might as well go full system while you're at it.
                        if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

dont get the D&D unless you want a REALLY loud exhaust.

They arent for everyone, alot of people find them very annoying
                          Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaO215
                            dont get the D&D unless you want a REALLY loud exhaust.

They arent for everyone, alot of people find them very annoying

this is true. but i loved mine
                            if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Thanx everyone for the advice . I did some research at the dealership , they offerd me a yoshi exhoust , factory stage one jet kit and K&N filter installed for $650 . doas that sound like a good deal ? Also I gatta check on the ignition advance . .
                              Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

Working...
                              X