X

Passed my test

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed my test

I got a 90 out of 100. Evidentally, I put my foot down during the "U-turn" portion of the test. *shrug*

I don't remember putting my foot down during that part. Oh, well.

I shouldn't complain. I have a relative who works for DOT and she just happened to be giving the test that day.

I thought it would have been more difficult, especially the section with the obstacle cones.

Afterwards, I went back inside to take the picture for my new license, forgot that I would probably have to participate in another stupid "eye" test and that I had left my glasses at home. Doh!

Congrats!! Good job.
    2007 Honda CBR600rr
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
    sigpic

Comment

In the 24 or so years I've been riding, aside from testing, I have yet to have to make a foot-up U-turn in a narrow space. I'm not even sure why it's on the test... In the old days, at least here in FL, they used to make you drive up an 12 foot ramp that was something like 18 degree slope and then walk the bike backwards down the grade -- that was a much more useful task IMHO.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Really , u-turns usually happen in the space of a normal road anyway . But it's always fun at the rally photoshoots to see how many people have to stop and walk the bike backwards to make the u-turn .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Good job! A foot down on the u-turn is better than dropping the bike!
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

congratulations on your test! yea, those u-turns can get tricky at times
            One who is a Samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night... the fact that he has to die." -- The Code of the Samurai

Comment

Congrats, I just passed mine yesterday as well. I only missed 3 points for a foot down during the cones. Good Job!

Comment

It's funny you guys posted this...

I got my 'M' endorsement for the first time in SC when I was 16....Had it ever since. Well, when I got a VA license...probably 12 years ago or more, I never even realized they did NOT transfer my Motorcycle endorsement over!!!! Rode all that time w/o the 'M' (other folks bikes mainly etc) and didn't even know it. Well when I went to put insurance on my GS500 this year, my insurance agent called me back and said the DMV did not report me having the Motorcycle endorsement!!! Not having alot of time, I just went in, took the written test, and got my learner's permit LOL.....you have to wait 30 days to take the 'skills test'...so I actually did it yesterday at lunch, as I was driving by the DMV anyway.

VA test was easy in my opinion....

Test #1 - Drive the bike (they kept mentioning 12 mph LOL) straight, then make a left turn (90 degree pretty much) in between a set of lines maybe 3-4 foot apart (not supposed to touch either line) then come to a stop with the front wheel inside of a maybe 4x4 box.

Test #2 - Weave thru 4 or 5 cones, loop around to the right, then make a U-turn in a prescribed area (pretty big in my opinion)

Test #3 - Take off in a straight line (again the '12 mph threshold mentioned' LOL) and then when your front tire passes a marker you stop as quickly as possible, and it measure your stopping distance. The guy mentioned skidding etc was fine, as long as you didn't drop the bike.

Test #4 - Take off (12mph AGAIN) when you pass a marker, you then have to swerve around an 'obstacle' (a red line maybe 4-5 foot wide) without hitting the 'guardrail' (another red line) on either side.

He put the cones REALLY close together. And I hit them a bit fast, and actually didn't even go around the last one.

He didn't even mention it, or if / how many points it took off. I know I passed.

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc
                  It's funny you guys posted this...

I got my 'M' endorsement for the first time in SC when I was 16....Had it ever since. Well, when I got a VA license...probably 12 years ago or more, I never even realized they did NOT transfer my Motorcycle endorsement over!!!! Rode all that time w/o the 'M' (other folks bikes mainly etc) and didn't even know it. Well when I went to put insurance on my GS500 this year, my insurance agent called me back and said the DMV did not report me having the Motorcycle endorsement!!! Not having alot of time, I just went in, took the written test, and got my learner's permit LOL.....you have to wait 30 days to take the 'skills test'...so I actually did it yesterday at lunch, as I was driving by the DMV anyway.

VA test was easy in my opinion....

Test #1 - Drive the bike (they kept mentioning 12 mph LOL)
                  In Ohio, we have to go 15 mph and a foot down is 3 points off (not sure about missing a cone). The first time I took the test (failed the U-turn), I'm pretty sure it was 12 mph though.
                  Here is the whole heading text that is on the top of the scoring sheet:

This test consists of seven exercises that evaluate your ability to perform basic vehicle control, riding judgement and hazard-response skills. Throughout the entire test you will be scored on time and distance standards, as well as path and "foot down" violations. The test may be terminated due to equipment failure, point accumulation, falling or dropping the motorcycle, disregard for instructions, committing an unsafe act or failure to understand or follow instructions. If at any time you feel an exercise is too difficult you may stop the test. However you must complete the entire test to pass it.

Comment

In our MSF course, if you drop the bike, your don't get your endorsement. Everyone freaked out when they said the double U was in the test. I thought it was corny, but as long as you don't dump it, your fine. I think about half of the people in my class either put thier foot down, or went outside the line, although I didn't. I will say, that 6 out of the 10 times I tried it, I didn't "quite" make it, and got lucky on the test

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I completed the u-turn, then tried to line up my bike for the next test, put my foot down and stopped my bike.

I must have misunderstood the directions, because the u-turn wasn't very difficult and I recall not having to balance the bike by putting my foot down.

I think what helped is that before it was my turn, I practiced a little in an empty parking lot nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by gytrdunkat
                        In our MSF course, if you drop the bike, your don't get your endorsement. Everyone freaked out when they said the double U was in the test. I thought it was corny, but as long as you don't dump it, your fine. I think about half of the people in my class either put thier foot down, or went outside the line, although I didn't. I will say, that 6 out of the 10 times I tried it, I didn't "quite" make it, and got lucky on the test
                        I was the same way with the "S" [U turn] box... kept screwing up during practice, then ace'd it during the actual test.

in Pennsylvania, the MSF test was four parts:

1. "S" turn box....
                        2. out of the box... go straight [reaching ~15mph] and swerve (either right or left depending on which way the instructor pointed) to avoid an obstacle
                        3. from stand still, accelerate to ~15mph, then brake at a certain point. Your stopping distance is judged.
                        4. from stand still, accelerate, make a 90 degree turn, accelerate, brake and ride through a 135 degree arc while keeping a constant speed.

only way you could 'fail' is to wreck the bike or do something dangerous. I'm assuming its this way in some other states... Each time you do something incorrect they would give you a 'point' 0-20 points, you would pass. 21+ you fail.

Most of the men in my class were 0-12 ... most women were 6-15
                        I was a '4'

Our bikes were many Suz GZ250s, one Kaw 125 eliminator, and one DR dual sport.

CONGRATS to the original poster, BTW.

-john
                        BT

Comment

It sounds like the test is pretty similar in Vegas, I actually had to take the skills test 3 times! The cones was an issue the first time, the second time the instructer docked me for a foot down b-cuz my foot scraped the ground while it was still on the peg. Thrird times the charm I guess, (I know I know I suck).
                          sigpic

Current bike: 2007 Hayabusa

Comment

Legal is always good, congrats.
                            The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

I got docked 10 points for putting that foot down. Sheesh.

A few weird people showed up on scooters, too. Obviously, they had no problems passing.

One guy took the test in a huge Honda Goldwing! I have no idea how he did it.

Comment

Working...
                              X