X

Helmet holder

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet holder

Quick question: is it alright to ride long distances with a helmet attached to the hook under the seat (the one where you have to remove the seat to put a bike on). I need to take a second helmet 180 or so miles, and will have to put it in a backpack if i can't. What's the word?

If its secure, I wouldn't see why not. Just make sure its not close to the exhuast (whatever on you may have)...

Comment

Works fine, as long as you don't have a passenger and it's not in your way. Note that if you drop the bike, the helmet is toast, but will act like a kind of frame slider of sorts (just ask Malloc <laughing>).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have carried one there before, but for short distances.
        2000 Kat 600
        "Fast Blue"
        Pic in Profile

Comment

If you are talking about the helmet lock on the left side of the bike (98+), it works fine unless you like to lean real far down, then your helmet will get all scratched up.....Trust me I know. And yeah, it will be crushed if you lay it down.

Comment

Originally posted by 750Kat_Ian
            If you are talking about the helmet lock on the left side of the bike (98+), it works fine unless you like to lean real far down, then your helmet will get all scratched up.....Trust me I know. And yeah, it will be crushed if you lay it down.
            I think he was talking about the under-seat helmet hook on the left side of the 98+ Kats (have to lift the seat to access it), not the helmet lock that has the single-pin and the key... You'd really have to lean down to scratch a helmet on the under-seat hook...

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: Helmet holder

Originally posted by Crackshot
              a helmet attached to the hook under the seat (the one where you have to remove the seat to put a bike on).
              You mean there's a hook under the seat strong enough to put the bike on the hook? I don't have a Katana yet, expecting my first this week, so I don't know if I misread something. Ignor if this question if its too dumb. I'll find out soon enough where the helmet hook is.

Regarding your question, someone posted that they dropped their bike at speed while carrying a helmet and the falling bike bounced off the helmet, the tires grabbed against the pavement and sent the bike upright again and onto the fallen rider who was sliding near it on the pavement. Freak accident, but the situation is right on point.

Also, on the other bikes I have, I'd never ride with a helmet locked to the bike. I'd be afraid that the wind would whip the helmet against the side of the bike, scuffing or scratching the helmet and the bike.

You could do a short test before you make the trip. If there is no problem in a couple mile test at speed, it should be ok for the whole trip.

What do you have against carrying it in the backpack? Too much of a humpback when you are laying over the tank?

If I had to transport the helmet, I might find a longer belt for my jeans, and run the belt behind the chin bar and thru the helmet face. The helmet can then ride on its side on the passenger seat, low and right behind you. When you get off the bike, the helmet will come with you until you loosen your belt and release the helmet.

The helmet visor will be right up against your jeans, so some scratching is possible here too. Also, there's risk that the wind will catch the visor at speed.

Comment

[quote="harrye"You mean there's a hook under the seat strong enough to put the bike on the hook? I don't have a Katana yet, expecting my first this week, so I don't know if I misread something. Ignor if this question if its too dumb. [/quote]

The 98+ Kats have two helmet holders -- the first one is the traditional one virtually all motorcycles have, lock with a straight bolt that opens and closes, down by the rear wheel. The second one is an U-shaped metal strap under the seat, with a matching cut-out in the plastics, which will hold the D-ring from a traditional helmet; the seat locks over it, to prevent anyone from taking the helmet (or accessing the hook). This hook is by no means strong enough to put the bike on it or to support the bike; it is strictly as a place to hang a helmet aside from the other helmet lock. You might want to pop by the dealership and get the owner's manual -- it'll give you something to read while you wait for the bike to be prepped and ready.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  You might want to pop by the dealership and get the owner's manual -- it'll give you something to read while you wait for the bike to be prepped and ready.
                  The dealer is 100 miles from me. Not many dealers in my sparsely populated area of Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by harrye
                    Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    You might want to pop by the dealership and get the owner's manual -- it'll give you something to read while you wait for the bike to be prepped and ready.
                    The dealer is 100 miles from me. Not many dealers in my sparsely populated area of Michigan.
                    ask him to mail it to you
                    After selling you the bike, it's the least he can do...

Just a thought...
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

it won't be a problem. You can get the helemt pretty tight against the bike by putting it on the hook, and tighting the strap. Then it won't bounce around or anything. There is no problem with the difference in wind resistance or anything else. I have size 14 feet, and it fits fine with me riding and it hanging there. But like it was said before, you wouldn't be able to have a passanger on and ride with it there.
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Another idea would be to get one of those Bungee cord nets, and hook the bungees to the rails under the seat (I know the 98+ has them, not sure about the pre 98's).
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                          Another idea would be to get one of those Bungee cord nets, and hook the bungees to the rails under the seat (I know the 98+ has them, not sure about the pre 98's).
                          Bingo.

Personally I would never ride with a helmet attached to the side. Spend 10 bucks and bungee it to the passenger seat.
                          "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

Originally posted by harrye
                            What do you have against carrying it in the backpack? Too much of a humpback when you are laying over the tank?
                            Originally posted by SweetLou
                            This, my friends, lies the problem. I normally use my backpack for spare shoes and a laptop, and bungee a duffle bag for the weekends worth of clothes, rainsuit, tarp, underware, etc. I guess I am just trying to see the net ammount I can carry.

But thanks for all of your input

Comment

Ive ridden all day on multiple occasions.. several hundred miles, with a spare helmet, on the traditional hook, or the extra. No worries at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X