Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre98 vs 98+ ??

Hi all,

Not looking to start a war here!!

This may have been covered already, is so, please point me in the right direction and i'll go...

I have a 95 Kat 750, I like it a lot, but, I'm really in love with the 98+ look, and seriously thinking of changing for something like a 2000-2003 model.

My question is that simple, aside from looks, is there advantages to either?

Thanks

Aramis

i don't have an opinion about the pre98s, but i had an 04, and i liked it a lot. i don't know of any advantages that it holds over the pre98s. but just so you know, you probably started a war..... friendly of course.

if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Yeah, I know this will heat up, but hey, we're all riding a Kat, it's not like asking people to choose another brand, so it's an internal war.. hehe...

Anybody else?

Comment

ohh 04.. two words "hazard lights"
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

i think its a love/hate type of deal. personally, i like the look of the pre98's better even though i owned a 98+ some people think this way or vice versa. i've read(dont have 1st hand knowledge of this) that the pre98's have a bit more hp or was it torque? either way, i love both styles. when i look at it in an aesthetic point of view, the 98+ ones can look friggin hot if done tastefully, and the 98+ ones are just more my style. beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess.
          Hello World.

Comment

sorry I know cross references threads is wrong but...

Comment

The major advantages of the 98+ models are:
              Dual headlights improve both your visibility to others (24 hours a day) and your sight at night.
              Larger fairings do a much better job of protecting against rain and cross-winds at speed.
              Higher resale value.
              4.5" rear rim permits mounting of wider tires than the stock rim of the pre-98's.
              Guaranteed parts availability (may not be an issue for pre-98's... yet).
              Better high-end acceleration (above 75mph) because of the aerodynamics and power-curves of the engine.
              Less maintenance in the short-term because the bike hasn't aged as much yet, and usually has less mileage/wear on it.
              For an '04, you may still be able to get an extended warrantee from Suzuki...

Major advantages of the pre-98's:
              More torque lower down, more total HP (gotta offset those poor aerodynamics somehow <laughing>).
              Cheaper to buy, probably cheaper to insure.
              More after-market (non-dealer) parts, such as aftermarket fairings (not available for the 98+ that I'm aware of).
              Sportier looks according to many.

Aside from that, they're not all that much different. Same basic engine technology, same basic conceptualizations. Most of the differences are visual.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

IMHO:
                The pre98 is HUCH more powerful, (using the highly accurate "Seat of the Pants Dyno") I've done high speed runs on both and find the pre 98 pulls harder in all gears through the redline..

The wider rim on the 98+ is so easily put on the pre 98 you can't really call it an advantage to the 98+ models.

The 98+ def have the advantage when it comes to wind and rain deflection.

The 98+ have a slight atvantage in comfort, and I find the 98+ smoother in the corners
                Though the pre 98 is more "Flickable"
                I now have the best of both worlds with the 98+ swingarm on my 93
                The 98+ is easier to lift/lower via the dogbone rear suspension setup. (which I now have on my 93 as well

That is all for now.. have a nice day..

Chris

Comment

The real difference is that cool people have pre's

That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                    The real difference is that cool people have pre's
                    I know that was a typo... C-H-E-A-P, not C-O-O-L...

Laughing
                    (just joking -- no intention of starting a flame war!)

=-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

But flame wars are fun Cyber...

Red vs. Blue

Pre vs. Post

Man vs. Women

Duffy vs. TheWorld

Corey vs. Posts

America vs. Canada

Comment

The only reason I traded from a 93 to a 01 was because I hatted the colors of the 90's. Black, teal, and purple rims. I am to lazy to repaint the thing, to much work. LOL But its faster than my 01, but people don't call my 01 a girls bike because of the colors LOL

Comment

first I have to say that Chris, you could have just painted it.

I own a pre98 and love the power, I actually like a mix of both. The power of pre98 750 with some of the parts of a 98+. Rims, fairing size and some of the tech of them.
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                            first I have to say that Chris, you could have just painted it.
                            Don't have the ambition to paint... LOL I will say my 01 has far less buzzy vibrations in it, which with my old age I'll take less vibrations over more power

I still would like to shoot the designer that decided to use purple rims! Purple rims!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                              But flame wars are fun Cyber...

Red vs. Blue

Pre vs. Post

Man vs. Women

Duffy vs. TheWorld

Corey vs. Posts

America vs. Canada

You forgot to add...

Sweet Lou vs. The Voices in his head telling him to burn things.... Or glue stuff together....
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X