X

05 600 Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 600 Katana

Well I think I may purchase an 05 600. I currently ride an 06 1200L Sportster and was just wondering if I will be making the right decision in going with the 600 Katana or should I go with a Gixxer. I am 6'0 about 210lbs and I am just looking for something to ride around on with a friend that just bought a CBR 600RR. Should I be able to keep up or will he leave me like he does now?

By the way I am new here and am loving so far

It depends on your friends expertise and what type of riding you'll be doing...the Kat 600 is nothing to sneeze at but then again you need to ask yourself how do you plan to ride? The GSXR in comparable to the CBR..more than that Kat...but your best bet is to go to a dealership and sit on the GSXR then sit on a Kat..see which one is more comfortable to you...make your decision on what you want and not what your friends have....if you are asking if the CBR will smoke the Kat..well the answer is yes it will but after a couple of hours of riding you will be ready for more and your buddy will be wanting to take a break because his back hurts...the bikes are like apples and oranges...GSXR vs Kat...what ever you decide..have fun and be careful...
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

The reality is that the Katana is a far better commuter and sports-tourer, but it'll never keep up with the CBR if he gives it full throttle. The Kat is also a better step-up for you from a sportster than going straight to a CBR/GSXR/R6/etc., because if you are primarily a cruiser rider, you probably have a lot of riding habits that will need to change (from learning to use the higher RPM ranges to how to brake primarily with the front brake, etc.).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

unless you want to stunt and street race....get the Kat!!!!

Comment

I don't plan on stunting or racing anyone but I do want to be able to keep up with the sport bikes. The friend I will be riding with is a responsible rider and doesn't push it too hard but on the highway he does twist the throttle a bit and right now I am getting left in the dust. I just want to know that when I twist the throttle that I will be moving and not just making a bunch of noise.

I guess my main question is will he have to be waiting for me to catch up?

Comment

If he gives it full throttle, it'll still take you a little while to catch up, but not nearly as long as it did on the Sportster. Or to put it another way (note all numbers are approximate and used only for relative comparisons):

Sportster roll-on from 60 to 100 mph: somewhere north of 10 seconds (or seemingly forever and a day)
            Katana roll-on from 60 to 100 mph: somewhere around 4 - 5 seconds, given optimum gear selection.
            CBR roll-on from 60 to 100 mph: somewhere around 3.25 seconds, given optimum gear selection.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

WOW that's a big difference from what I am experiencing now. I think the Kat will be a great transition and I could always upgrade later if I need to. Thank you all for all of the info and as soon as I sell the Harley I will be purchasing the Kat so I will let you know when I join the ranks

Comment

I just want to know that when I twist the throttle that I will be moving and not just making a bunch of noise.
                and the truth comes out

Joking aside. I gotta go with JAX on this one. I would go to the dealer and just start sitting on stuff and waiting for it to talk to me. I went with my "Big Block Kat" because it has a good balance of comfort and power. You get to sitting on stuff you may even add to your options. There are a lot of nice machines out now. Most importantly, get what your most comfortable with displacement wise and ergonomically.

Enjoy and be safe.
                The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

I am happy with my 600 Kat for now. Yes my friends are faster than I am but I did not buy it to race. They can pull away from me top end but in town from traffic light to traffic light I can keep up. Most time I get them off the line but that is more about reflex. The Kat is longer and heavier so I can come of the line a lot harder and the front wheel is glued to the ground.

You will be very happy with the comfort of the saddle. My friends like the way my bike rides. When we go on a long ride they complain about the comfort and I smile. I tell them they should have bought a Kat.
                  If it has a engine and goes fast I want one.

2005 600 Kat

2003 KX65

2000 Yamaha Mountain Max 700 triple

1986 Honda ATC250R

Comment

Comfort or Speed, you have to decide. Either choice is going to be an upgrade from what your used to though.
                    2007 Honda CBR600rr
                    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                    sigpic

Comment

you keep saying "my friend", but what are YOU looking for?? what do you want? i've always wanted a katana, but before i made a decision i went to the dealership and checked out the other bikes....the katana was the most comfortable one...i really dont see myself riding a super sport bike (at least not now)...i only ride my bike on the weekends, and by sunday night im ready to switch back to my truck, i dont wanna think how my lower back would feel after riding it for two days if i had a super sport bike...im happy with my katana...best decision ever

Comment

kat600 vs. cbr600rr

I have this problem currently with my boyfriend he has a 04 honda cbr600rr blue. i have a 05 kat 600 blue. and no i can't keep up. when im doing 125 he's doing 150. so. i'd go with the gxr if you want to keep up with him. but the kat is way more comfortable for long rides. gxr's are easier when it comes to turns i think but it really is a personal preference. i love the seat on my kat its way more comfortable, just a lil more bulky. hope this helps

Samantha

Comment

Sam, I hope you find a boyfriend who will wait for you

I also hope the pics I see of you riding will be in gear in the future... that one in the intro thread (strap top, sunglasses, no helmet, no jacket, no gloves) doesn't bode well for your future, esp. if you have a boyfriend you're trying to keep up with at max speed for the bike...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

haha

I wear all Icon gear jacket, gloves, helmet, but not when im in my apt. complex cause its vacant in the back pretty much. im a firm believer of wearing gear. too many road rash stories. but thanks for looking out.

s

Comment

I find my gsxr 750 to be very comfortable compared to my kat..if you are worried about keeping up with ss then the kat aint going to cut it. The two bikes are about as far apart from each other as a sportster would be to a katana. If you are planning on riding more then 500 kms in a day the gsxr will not be a good choice, but if you are going for 3 hour long rides with ss I would get a gsxr, they are not as uncomfortable as people think they are.
                              2007 GSXR 750 Blk/Blu
                              2002 GSXF 600 Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X