X

93 vs. 01 600 Katana review

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 vs. 01 600 Katana review

I recently purchased a 01 Katana 600 w/ 6K on the clock. Love the bike to death as I do my 93. I still have my 93 and today rode both back to back, and boy, they are two different machines which is surprising to me.

First thing that stood out was the fact that my 93 feels much faster than the 01. I am the 3rd owner of the 93. I don’t know if the front sprocket is -1, but I know at 5,000 RPM is 60MPH on the 93 and 5,000 on the 01 is 65MPH. Not sure if gear rations are the same between years, but if they are this would be a good explanation as to why the 01 feels slower.
    My 01 has a full Yosh RS-3 exhaust /w K&N and has been professionaly jetted. My 93 has a spark advance, and cobro slip-ons

I have also notice that the 93 has a very heavy feel to the steering which can make you timid about heavy, fast cornering. My 01 feels a lot better IMHO, I feel more of a comfort level when corning on the 01 that I don’t feel on the 93.

One of my gripes with the 93 was vibrations, and to my surprise the 01 is much smoother. They are both great bikes and I hate to part with the 93, but I have no more room in my garage. I am still not sure why the 93 feels faster. Can -1 front sprocket make that big of a difference?

I would love to hear anyone’s experiences with upgraded to a new generation of KAT from a prior gen.

Re: 93 vs. 01 600 Katana review

Originally posted by Chris07
    at 5,000 RPM is 60MPH on the 93 and 5,000 on the 01 is 65MPH.... Can -1 front sprocket make that big of a difference?
    Yes.
    Part of it also is the combination of slightly higher torque lower-down in the RPM range for the pre-98 models; the 98+ should be faster 70 to 100+ than the 93 is.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Doesn't the pre have slightly more horsepower as well?

Comment

I've always heard that the earlier kats are more performance oriented,Where as the 98's and up have a better ride,and better aerodynamics.
        97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

After riding a friend's later model Katana, I came back made the comment that the handling was "not very confidence inspiring....". My 91 handles MUCH better than any later model Katana I have ever riden and for that reason would never even consider a 98 or newer Katana. Mine also felt faster and Ryan never could keep up with me anywhere.

Love the looks of both though!
          Ron
          MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

These words should be immortalized

Comment

Where are you at in Columbus? I am there all the time for work.
              If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

I work in the Westerville area....

Comment

Where at in Westerville? I just moved to Delaware from Worthington, and Thaz is moving back into the area in April. Welcome to KatRiders!

Comment

Yes welcome aboard, and did you say you were going to sell the 93?
                    2000 Kat 600
                    "Fast Blue"
                    Pic in Profile

Comment

Originally posted by 1BlueKat
                      Yes welcome aboard, and did you say you were going to sell the 93?
                      Yes, its posted in the FS forum....

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
                        After riding a friend's later model Katana, I came back made the comment that the handling was "not very confidence inspiring....". My 91 handles MUCH better than any later model Katana I have ever riden and for that reason would never even consider a 98 or newer Katana. Mine also felt faster and Ryan never could keep up with me anywhere.

Love the looks of both though!
                        You may be right, I dont know. But I do know that when i get on my friend's bike, Im not that familiar with it. I dont go out and find some S turns and see if I can drag a knee. Did you ride it for a few weeks to get comfortable with it?
                        Bikes don't kill people, People kill bikes.

Comment

I think its more or an aquired taste. I could go either way, but I really prefer the 98+.. to me it inspires alittle more confidence and stability. But to each his own

Comment

Working...
                          X