X

how about a horn mod?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how about a horn mod?

i can fart louder than the little buzzer disc on mine... i work in autoparts, and picked up a FIAMM highway blaster (rated at 135dB!) today... will the stock horn circuit support the larger horn, or will i need to wire up a relay and fuse? i know that current will be at least somewhat limited by the horn button and corresponding wiring...
    just not too keen on burning anything out..
    a

gather 'round, children

I tried to add one of those and all it did was go whack a whack a.. I think it was defective.
    The stock horn is rated at 3 Amp I think..
    Does your new one have the rating on it??
    Let us know what the brand is and how it went.
    Mounting etc.. I really need someting louder.
    Why do we motorcyclests get the crappy horns when we need them most??

Comment

Can't answer your question but this mod is definitely on my list!

I wonder if I can fit the horns from a '78 Buick... :-k
      "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

This was my first mod. The freeway blaster( low note ) is the simplist mod you can make. Unplug the old, take off one nut, put mounting plate on new horn, plug back in, bolt back on. I've had the horn on for two years without any problems. I highly recommend everyone do this as the stock horn sux a$$ !!! It's pretty basic so I won't bother posting pics
        Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
        Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Ive been considering this mod too.. very inexpensive and easy to do..but still alittle ways down on my list yet. Let us know how it works out for ya.

Comment

that first the second thing i did to my bike. Bought myself a 125db car horn and it hooked right up. no more buzzer sound
            " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Beek put a dual airhorn on his, and the great thing about it is how small and compact it is, and how freaking loud it is. Thats gona be my next horn. You can but them off ebay.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

The Freeway Blaster and other horns often come in a choice of common-bolt ground or two-wire configuration (or have a separate part in the kit to convert it). Make sure you get the two-wire hook-up.

I put the Freeway Blaster Lo-Tone (132Db, $17, PepBoys) on mine shortly after I picked up the new Kat, and once I made sure the wires were on there well, it's worked flawlessly ever since. If you reverse the polarity of the wires, the system can ground through the mounting bolt, which will immediately pop a fuse. If the fuse pops randomly when on the horn (rather than immediately), it usually means the bracket it is against is grounding intermittently or one of the leads is.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                  Ive been considering this mod too.. very inexpensive and easy to do..but still alittle ways down on my list yet.
                  Lets go, $17 and two minutes of your time. Stop being such a lazy arse !!! This is a SAFETY device
                  Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
                  Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Problem I have is:
                    I removed the splitter for the brake lines when I went with Goodridge lines.. So now I have no place to mount the horn..

Loudest horn I have heard was on a 80's Park Avenue.. That pig was loud!!

Comment

I once put an air horn on my VW super beetle.. that was great... got a lot of attention on that one...

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

I started with a FB 130db low tone horn and it was loud, but not loud enough.

I got a relay and mounted it behind the upper fairing (where the parking light is) and I now have a High Tone and a Low Tone 130db FB under there and it's freekin LOUD. It was tight and I had to fabricate a couple brackets, but it was worth the effort;

Sounds like an old Chrysler or some huge boat.

Definately gets attention. I was following Kim (she was in our Jeep) and she could hear that horn NO PROBLEM.
                        Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

Damn Matt!! Is that a cigarette lighter there??

Don't your forks hit that horn??
                          Good job on the wireing.. Nice and neat. 8)

Comment

I have the freeway blaster on my '92 600, it works great. I had to relocate the horn to under the rear left fairing though, it was too big to fit in the stock location.
                            ~Jayson

Comment

I got a Fiaam High-Tone Extra-Loud 130 dB Horn, for my birthday. Screwed right on & hooked right up, definitely will scare the crap out of the next person who inspects the Kat when they "test" the horn
                              I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Working...
                              X