Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What abrasive do you use to remove paint, or rust?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What abrasive do you use to remove paint, or rust?

Hi all,

I took the shock absorber out this morning, with thoughts of painting it red.

Now there really isnt any rust, but Id like to get the black paint off the coil so I can ensure the paint will adhere.
    I thought about using a wire wheel and a dremel, or maybe just aircraft paint remover? or just wetsand

Can anyone provide some input?

thanks

No need to remove the paint. Just rough it up with some fine grit sand paper. The new paint will stick just fine.

Comment

thanks zuki

Comment

If there is any of the original paint missing it is best to get some filler primer to assure a smooth service.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

good idea

Comment

Yeah, you don't want to use any paint stripper on that. Even though the shcok shaft is hard chromed, if you ruff that up the shock shaft travel will be compromised and you won't have smooth operation. If you have access to a shock springcompressor, I'd take the spring off and paint it that way, if not be careful not to get overspray on the shaft.

Comment

yeah take the spring off of the shock before painting it... also if you take it off you coudl use a stripper at that point.. just be careful that she does not get any paint on her..
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

lol

Comment

since your question has been answered pretty well, i gotta ask, how did u come up w/ that signature!!

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                    since your question has been answered pretty well, i gotta ask, how did u come up w/ that signature!!
                    +2
                    if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Since I have started to experiment with a few new things. One thing that I have seen for a while but never tried until just last week was the disks that attached to a 1/4in arbor and used on a die grinder or drill. It is like a scotch brite pad, bud coated with something to make them much tougher. Man, does that ever do a sweet job of removing paint. I will do my whole swingarm with it. They are quite cheap too. A 3 in disck with the abor was only $3.99.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

yeah i have used them on my camaro and volkswagen before. I also like th plastic ones that have little nubs on them.
                        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

i just completed it today, its on the bike right now...i should have let the paint cure some more, but now that its outside, im sure it will be ready by wednesday

Comment

as long as its dry enough to the touch, it shouldnt attract any xtra dust, and what have you outside.

Comment

I like to use Coreys fat bald head for a abrasive
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X