X

Headlight off switch ???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight off switch ???

I just noticed on suzuki's website that the 2005 katana has an automatic headlight shutoff while starting bike to reduce load on battery. Has anyone come up with a way to do this on all other katanas. I've heard of people having s toggle for when working on engine so as to not drain, but what about everyday driving.?

An figures the last production eyar for katana they put stainless steel 4-into-1 exhaust system. ARRGGG!!
    " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Re: Headlight off switch ???

Originally posted by Badkitty
    I just noticed on suzuki's website that the 2005 katana has an automatic headlight shutoff while starting bike to reduce load on battery. Has anyone come up with a way to do this on all other katanas. I've heard of people having s toggle for when working on engine so as to not drain, but what about everyday driving.?

An figures the last production eyar for katana they put stainless steel 4-into-1 exhaust system. ARRGGG!!

The prior year's headlights do not route through a relay, so there is no simply way to add the cut-out feature into the stock harness by simply activating a feature or some leads...
    You could install a physical switch, OR replace the headlight hi/lo beam switch with a three position one if they still make them (hi/lo/off), OR you could put a timed relay with a signal from the starter button inline with the headlights to provide the cut-out. Either way, unless you tend to sit parked with the lights on for a while before starting (or before starting sucessfully), it's probably not worth hassling with (IHMO).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I beleive Trinc did it not to long ago, and I think he also did a write up on it.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

i was looking at his site for that writeup, but didnt see it there or in the mechanics forum. drop him a PM about it.

Comment

i just ask cause after i installed my jetkit last night and tried to start bike , forgetting to set fuel valve on prime, it didnt take long to kill battery trying to start. Maybe 15seconds. I had to jump start it with my truck.
          " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

setting it to prime is the normal way to start it of course, but you really had that many problems starting it even though you didnt ? I've forgotten to put it on prime a time a or 2, when I was in a hurry or something, and it always started right up regardless. hhmmm

Comment

i just ask cause after i installed my jetkit last night and tried to start bike , forgetting to set fuel valve on prime, it didnt take long to kill battery trying to start. Maybe 15seconds. I had to jump start it with my truck.
              Sounds like your battery is about ready for replacement... 15 seconds of starting the bike shouldn't drain a healthy, well-charged battery.

KNOW THIS: Each time you run the battery dead (or low enough that it won't engage the starter), it has lost 25 - 40% of it's long-term ability to store power. Do this three or four times and there may not be enough juice capacity left to start a bike on a very cold morning.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

hmm ya i'll probably get a better quality battery. I've only run it down once and that was because i put a new clutch handle on...but didnt realize it was suppose to be grooved or notched for the neutal safety switch...so some how it kept somethign on and drain battery. And no it wasnt the little fan that comes on after bike shuts off.

Comment

hmm ya i'll probably get a better quality battery. I've only run it down once and that was because i put a new clutch handle on...but didnt realize it was suppose to be grooved or notched for the neutal safety switch...so some how it kept somethign on and drain battery. And no it wasnt the little fan that comes on after bike shuts off.
                  The OEM battery (Yuasha) is about the best quality battery you can get, and definitely the best within the price-bracket it's in...
                  JUST TEASING YOU: Weren't you the one saying you never had battery problems from the fan?

Grinning
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X