• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malloc went down Saturday...

Got a call this afternoon about 1:30...
    "Hello, is this Cyber?"
    "Yeah... hi..."
    "This is Sergeant (insert name) from the Hillsborough County Sheriff's department. Your friend, Van, went down on his motorcycle."
    *My first thought at this point was somebody was pulling my leg, because why would the cop be calling me Cyber instead of by my name (or "CP")? Appearantly because that's what it's in Malloc's phone as in the auto-dialer...
    "How bad is it?"
    "Serious enough; EMS is on the way."
    "Where?"
    "Bearss."
    "Where on Bearss."
    "Between 22nd and Livingston."
    "I'll be there in about 3 minutes."
    ------

Malloc had gotten a new rear tire mounted about 12 miles earlier (I don't think it plays a big role in this, if any), was following traffic, turned to look in his blindspot for a lane-change, and then when he turned back, traffic in front of him had stopped. He panic'd, yanked the front brake so hard that he seized the front wheel (the skidmark was about 7 feet long) and didn't release in time... The bike went down on the left side, he slid away, and then the bike came back up and flopped over onto the right side. The flip was probably because he had a new shoei helmet attached the underseat helmet latch, and it seemingly acted as a bumper to push the bike back up...

He wasn't too bad off (Helmet, Icon titanium mesh riding jacket, combined knee & shin gaurds, low-cut sneakers), but his knee caught some damage where the knee gaurd sunk off the knee, and his hands were rashed pretty good. Ankle over-extended a bit too. Saddest part was that he had not just one, but two pairs of gloves with him -- one in the cargo net on the back seat, and another armored set under the seat, but none on his hands. The fact that he was being treated by an extremely cute & sexy EMS when I arrived helped, but he was a bit dazed and limping.

Bike & related damages:
    Left fairing rashed, left front blinker shattered, Left engine cover (stator cover) cracked almost to the center from the lowest edge, right handlebar bent, minor rashing on right fairing, right mirror, right bar-end weight. Right rear foot peg snapped off at the hole for the pivot mechanism. New shoei helmet rashed through the outter covering about 2-3" round.

I ended up pushing the bike back to my place, about a mile away, because it was a bad neighborhood where it was at... he helped after a while (my gf was trailing me in the car, with Malloc in the passenger seat)... he got the seat, and I got to push... 80 degree day with high humidity, so it wasn't fun. We priced and searched for a new stator cover, but none available in town at any of the dealerships/garages; that will have to wait until Monday for him to order it via his preferencial channel for such things. Filled him with asprin and drinks and food...
    Then we JB Welded the stator cover and the foot peg (they're curing overnight -- might work, might not), and also found that one of the local auto parts stores carries Valvoline ATV-oriented 10w40, which is JASO-MA and API SF rated (and thus being suitable as an oil for the Kat's purposes) -- quite cheaply (4 liters = $13.25).

Just dropped him off at his own house a short while ago to rest & recoup.

KNOW THIS:
    JB Weld 4 minute-set is not suitable for the Kat's stator cover because it can only take 300 degree (F) temps; regular JB Weld can handle 600 degrees.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Wow.. man that too bad !! Sorry about your friend man! Glad he'll be ok though!

Comment

Wow....glad he's still in one piece!

Comment

Get well Malloc!!!!

Good luck on the cover! I would now suggest NRC covers just incase.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
          I would now suggest NRC covers just incase.
          NRC?
          I'm not familiar with the term...

[EDIT: Found it via ShoutBox -- Nigara Racing Corp, NRCracing.com]

Curious
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Glad to hear Malloc is alright.

Sucks about the bike.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
            who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Rest up Malloc, glad to hear you are relatively okay. Get better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

NRC is the brand name, they make replacement stuff, cheaper than Suzuki OEM parts.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  Originally posted by THAZKAT
                  I would now suggest NRC covers just incase.
                  NRC?
                  I'm not familiar with the term...

[EDIT: Found it via ShoutBox -- Nigara Racing Corp, NRCracing.com]

Curious
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  You are welcome and anytime to help a fallen Brother!!
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Rest well, and invest in a asprin company! Glad to hear that the damage was not to bad, and that the bake fared well as well.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

thats rough, hope he is feeling better.

Good thing he has "Cyber" in his speed-dial, but if I was a cop and saw that...I would have thought something completely different.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the crash. Hope that Malloc gets well soon. Get him good and liqoured up and he will feel no pain. Seriously glad get he didn't get hurt bad.
                        sigpic93 Katana
                        98+ Rear Wheel 170/60/17 47 tooth Rear Sprocket
                        Vance and Hines SS2R Custom Airbrushing

03 Alstare 600
                        Salvaged title (lol)

Comment

Nice job coming to the rescue CP.

Rest up Malloc.

Comment

Hope he recovers quickly.

Is that standard that they use the persons cell phone to contact someone? It's not a bad idea, I've just never heard of that.
                            Kyle

Comment

CP, your a good man to push your friends bike and help out like that. Glad he is doing ok and bikes can be fixed.
                              Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
                              Katana

Comment

Working...
                              X