Kat got hurt - advice needed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat got hurt - advice needed

Background:
    This past weekend a colleague of mine backed into my bike with his car. He proceeded to back out of his parking spot and clipped my front wheel with his bumper. Kat was dragged back about 4 feet but did not fall (which I still cannot believe). It tore half of his bumper off

Damage:
    Forks are completely bent and thus the bike is not drivable. It was appraised this morning and I should have an estimate shortly. As far as I can tell damage is as follows:
    * bent forks (very badly - right handle hits the right fairing)
    * front wheel splash guard crushed
    * left blinker crushed
    * left fairing scratched
    * left engine cover scratched
    * 2 minor cracks (nothing substantial)

My buddy’s insurance will cover the cost of repairs but I'm toying with an idea of fixing it myself and pocketing the rest (second bike fund perhaps?). I have very little motorcycle mechanical experience other then doing the maintenance myself. Should I take the insurance check and just buy used forks and blinker and live with the cosmetic damages? My only concern is the frame! If it's bent, I'm fu(ked. It will cost me much more in the long run and I may find out the painful way if it's really bend or cracked (personally I don't think so but I'm no mechanic)

What would you do in my position and why? TIA

PS. just got the estimate assuming the frame is ok, it's $1000
    Rock out with your knee out

FREE utilities for your PC

I'd say fix it yourself, but I would think just replacing the forks, and paint damage would cost more than $1000. depends on the deals you can find.

I brought back a totalled gixxer. frame and engine were ok, had to replace entire subframe w/ rear panels, upper fairings, headlight, gas tank, many other things for a little over $2K. Ebay had everything I needed.

Good Luck
    myspace
    2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Was that your insurance company or his? If the forks are bent... there could be more damage... If the bike isn't straight... it could be dangerous to ride.

Two forks @ 383.74 each
      New upper cowling 289.42
      Starter cover 74.86

That's already over $1k in parts... without any shop labor....
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It seems very low to me too. I'm waiting for a call back. I hate this shit.

edit:
        steves: his insurance will cover the cost

insurance (parts only) estimate = ~600 w/o forks + (428 ea) = ~1450 (w/ forks)
        my (parts only) estimate = ~2100 w/ forks

Comment

Where are you? You might be able to get some help from another KR member. I know another member here in the area who restored a totaled Kat himself. It had similar damage. Notably, the forks!
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by mpz
            It seems very low to me too. I'm waiting for a call back. I hate this shiate.

edit:
            steves: his insurance will cover the cost

insurance (parts only) estimate = ~600 w/o forks + (428 ea) = ~1450 (w/ forks)
            my (parts only) estimate = ~2100 w/ forks

If his insurance can get a certified Suzuki shop to make those repairs, and stand by them for that cost... let them repair the bike!
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for advice fellas

Insurance guy called and said those prices are from his database. He said that they can be adjusted if the shop deems it necessary. He's very cooperative so that's good.

Can anyone confirm the 30% rule? If the damage is 30% or more of the market value then bike is deemed total loss. I asked the appraiser and he said "it's more like 70."

Comment

Generally speaking... it's like 51% of the value....

If you want it totaled... tell them you suspect frame damage
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I did, he did write down "frt steering/suspension check" and said that if the shop determines that frame is damaged it'll be totalled.

Comment

Usually all it takes is a nick on the frame for insurance to total. Good luck....
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X