X

Packing for trip... bags

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good tips from all

I used to do a fair bit of long distance riding/camping (on my 83 Nighthawk 450...I miss it...) usually with saddle bags and a duffle strapped on the back seat. I haven't tried it yet with the kat, but on my old Nighthawk I really appreciated the duffle bag backrest on long distances!

I agree with those suggesting a soft bag rather than hard suitcase. It conforms to the seat nicely and won't wiggle around.

A warning about rain covers: the saddle bags I bought came with "shower cap"-type rain covers and they lasted all of 15 minutes on the highway before being torn to shreds by the wind. I expect unless you really wrapped the outer garbage bag with a lot of tape, it would come to a similar fate. I would go with the others who have suggested packing your stuff inside in plastic bags and just letting the bag/suitcase get wet.

Have fun on your trip! Amusez-vous bien dans la belle province!

Comment

Re: Packing for trip... bags

Originally posted by lbjgh
      I think I'll ad a piece of foam rubber under the "carry-on" to help protect the seat and paint... it should also help keep the bag in place.

Hey lbjgh-ijklmnop, I am in the foam business in Toronto. I can get you some foam (free for the fellow katrider) to protect the tail section if you want.

Funny thing is I did the exact same thing (protect the tail section with foam that is) let me know.

Cheers
      Joe
      R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Originally posted by alze
        Wrap it in a Lidl bag hahahah - then your helmet in a Aldi bag.....

Lol, dude, get a proper bag haha...
        You are funny tho please please take pics (or a vid) with your storage - best would be if its attached to the rear and going along with the wheels...

U-HAUL KAT STYLE !!!
        What is an "Aldi" bag?
        Does 'alze' mean "a wee bit pretentious" in the Netherlands?
        R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Originally posted by JZ67
          ...What is an "Aldi" bag?
          Does 'alze' mean "a wee bit pretentious" in the Netherlands?

Aldi is a grocery store

Stevie, I think you have the best idear yet. Wheelie wheels, If they made it in Aprilia yellow....
          Live and Lean.
          When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
          "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
          Romans 3:23

Comment

Originally posted by TheKlic
            Aldi is a grocery store
            Wierdest thing -- a few weeks ago I was designing some sample coupons for a competitor to Aldi and was thinking about the Aldi logo while I was walking my dog, and lo-and-behold, I stumbled across an Aldi bag laying on our lawns here in Florida... Just so very weird, I felt like I was in some sort of twilight zone episode

Turns out the two hot blondes that just moved in next to Ray are from Poland and had used the bag to move some stuff, set it on their porch and it blew a few yards away...

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Hypersthene
              A warning about rain covers: the saddle bags I bought came with "shower cap"-type rain covers and they lasted all of 15 minutes on the highway before being torn to shreds by the wind. I expect unless you really wrapped the outer garbage bag with a lot of tape, it would come to a similar fate.
              Yeah , that happens with saddlebags , but stuff on my tank or seat was ok out in the wind in garbage bags . No rippage . The pillows on my tank (QUITE a comfy way to travel I might add ) were wrapped in a plastic bag that my jacket came in . Not thick plastic , but similar to a garbage bag . Survived
              300 miles just fine .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
              X