X

Close friend hit in stop-and-go traffic on the highway

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close friend hit in stop-and-go traffic on the highway

Well, my buddy has an incredibly close call.

The other night he left my place at 11pm, and hopped on hwy 401 here in Toronto. Construction was being done, so things were narrowed down to one lane for a very long stretch.

A semi was behind him, and during one of the stop and go sequences, the truck driver failed to see him and stop in time. The trucks bumper hit his tire squarely, and skidded him forward about 8 feet. He was able to keep the bike upright, miraculously.

The trucker said he never even knew he was there. He was looking ahead at the car in front of the bike, thinking that was the next vehicle.

At any rate, he's fine (as is his bike) - shaken up, and considered it a wake-up call as he was riding with a little more abandon lately than he has in the past.

Just keep alert guys. Even when traffic seems safe, keep checking those mirrors and be aware of your surroundings....

Wow, I'm glad he is ok (and so is the bike). I was almost hit the other day (some dumb soccer mom on her cell phone, almost backed into me).
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Man, that could have been horrible.
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch
        Wow, I'm glad he is ok (and so is the bike). I was almost hit the other day (some dumb soccer mom on her cell phone, almost backed into me).
        You dont know how many times that has happened to me. Good to hear your friend is ok.

Always have to be alert for things like that, and leave room for an escape.One time I was at a stop light waiting for the light to turn green with a car in front of me. All of a sudden I heard brakes scretching behind me, luckily I had time to look back and move out of the way to the right. If I had stayed at the same spot I was at, I would have been hit.

Stay safe out there!

Comment

Similar thing happened to my son, years ago. His first highway trip on his first bike- going to a native-American retreat center in central Mississippi, from New Orleans, on his Honda CB450. Traffic was stopped on I-10, and a woman didn't see him, rammed him from behind when he was stopped. Wacked the rear end and back wheel of his bike, and sprained his ankle when the bike wheelied and then landed on his foot. Anlke healed, we rebuilt the bike with parts from a doner (3-piece wheels and front disc brakes this time) and all was good to go.
          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

My wife purchased for me one of those reflective vests like the highway workers wear. I don't want to wear it, self-conscious, but would wear it for night riding. Anyone else wear one at night?
            LMT

Comment

Originally posted by LMT
              My wife purchased for me one of those reflective vests like the highway workers wear. I don't want to wear it, self-conscious, but would wear it for night riding. Anyone else wear one at night?

I wear the Icon Mil Spec Vest in yellow. It looks good and is bright!
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaSoldier
                Originally posted by LMT

I've seen those and they work pretty good. Aren't you required to wear that on base, too?

Vanson makes a jacket that is part glow-in-the-dark. Other than a reflective vest or adding reflective strips to your gear I can't think of any other alternatives.
                sigpic

Comment

my biggest fear while riding is stopped traffic on the highway. I try to steer to the shoulder or at least get to where I can move between cars if I hear the dreaded screech of tires behind me. I also pump the brake lever to make the brake light flash for those behind me. I don't want to be the meat of a 10,000 pound sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by LMT
                    72 sq in of reflective material to be seen from from and rear. I feel like a dork having to wear it but hey my life insurance is worth it and its required.

Hey Kat Soldier did you know that if you are wearing a pack pack the pack has to be reflectorized also?

Just found this out at Ft Riley a couple weeks ago and today at Ft Hood my Sec SFC said they are requiring it there to.
                    sigpic

Comment

P.S. -- Glad to hear you're OK and the bike too.
                      sigpic

Comment

I had a similar close call a few years ago. I was heading home from school (UNM) on I-25 when I noticed taillights lighting up like dominoes. I immediately slowed down but noticed in my rearview that the car behind me wasnt slowing at all. The car in front of me stopped, I pulled up beside him (between him and the freeway divider), and the car that was behind me rear-ended the car that was in front of me. I was almost a motorcycle sandwich . I use my mirrors ALOT!
                        sigpic
                        Currant Toys...
                        '02 Suzuki GSX750F
                        '74 Yamaha MX360
                        '69 Camaro

Comment

I have one in orange and I used it all the time when I was active duty. I haven't been using it too much lately since I am no longer active but I still wear it from time to time.

Originally posted by AKA AllyKat
                          72 sq in of reflective material to be seen from from and rear. I feel like a dork having to wear it but hey my life insurance is worth it and its required.

Hey Kat Soldier did you know that if you are wearing a pack pack the pack has to be reflectorized also?

Just found this out at Ft Riley a couple weeks ago and today at Ft Hood my Sec SFC said they are requiring it there to.
                          The Navy base I was stationed at only required us to wear the vest after dusk. I only worked at night so I had to wear the vest all the time. What I did to "get around" it was put my jacket on, then my backpack and then the vest at its largest size over it all (you would be amazed at how big they get). I am not sure how it would work for long rides or anything but from my house to work was a good 15-20 minutes and it worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
                            Originally posted by LMT

I've seen those and they work pretty good. Aren't you required to wear that on base, too?

Vanson makes a jacket that is part glow-in-the-dark. Other than a reflective vest or adding reflective strips to your gear I can't think of any other alternatives.
                            They are pushed by the base commnader but you can get by with a regular reflective vest or reflective belt worn over the jacket (which looks goofy)

Comment

Originally posted by AKA AllyKat
                              Originally posted by LMT

Yup, I have a reflective belt around the ACU BlackHawk pack I wear.

Comment

Working...
                              X