X

PSI makes the difference

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSI makes the difference

I took a late night ride just now and Kat was great in the straights but had a bad feeling in turns, not stable as usual. Got home and took a tire check and PSI was 5 lbs off in front and 3 off in back. Filled em up and took short round about the sub and bike felt completely different. Who would have thought that little psi makes the difference.

Oh yeah... its something I try to check everytime I head out for a ride. I dont always remember to if Im in a hurry.. but no doubt, its alittle nerve rackin when you realize that uneasy feeling going thru a turn.

Comment

I just kick the tire.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

i kinda like it a little soft. not real soft, but ya know... i don't really have a real number i like...i just go with what feels good
        if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Originally posted by soccersteve
          i kinda like it a little soft. not real soft, but ya know... i don't really have a real number i like...i just go with what feels good
          ...good thing I know what you're talking about...

Comment

I haven't noticed that problem with my Dunlops. Wonder if it's a tire brand thingy??
            My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

I run 38 rear, 35 1/2 front and know when they're a couple pounds down just by the feel of the handling. As for Dunlops, if you run them low, they will scallop.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, something tells me you aren't talking about tires....

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot

Yeah, something tells me you aren't talking about tires....
                  maybe i should have mentioned that i was talking about tires. sorry to lead anybody on or get anybodys hopes up
                  if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

I have friends that can tell if their car tires are a couple of pounds off. Personally in my car I can only tell if the tire is flat, but on the bike a small change in pressure is noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      I run 38 rear, 35 1/2 front and know when they're a couple pounds down just by the feel of the handling. As for Dunlops, if you run them low, they will scallop.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      I run 38 rear, 36 front. I was wondering if that was about right? I never checked the pressure before and I think that caused my rear tire to square off a little quicker than it should have.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        thats pretty high isn't it ? i run at the recommmended pressure 33/36.
                        in the winter i'll drop 1/2 psi in the front.

an under inflated tire will wear on the sidewalls more & run hotter, to much air they'll run cooler & will have a smaller footprint

you should get in the habit of the checking the pressure OFTEN if not every ride. it will let the tire run at it optimum heat range & a tire thats inflated properly is less likely to have a failure.

tim

Comment

my front ones got a slow leak. any one got any pointers other then puting the leak junk in the tire? i think it would be kinda hard with the rotors and tight spaces and all

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                            I just kick the tire.
                            easy for you, the bike doesn't even have a engine in it, just kidding!

I check mine before I go anywhere!!
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by lucky6man
                              my front ones got a slow leak. any one got any pointers other then puting the leak junk in the tire? i think it would be kinda hard with the rotors and tight spaces and all
                              read the labels - not for motorcycle use.

i'd replace it. a rear flat is bad enough but if the front lets loose at
                              a higher speed you may be looking for more than a new tire.

tim

Comment

Working...
                              X