X

Whoa.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipKid
    I think some of it really depends on what ring material you have, what your engine clearances are, etc. From waht I understand, the varying of engine speed is supposed to help the rings seat without glazing the cylinder and thus, granting bad compression. This may or may not be the case with the Kat, but if in question, looking at the manual should answer any question about the proper method.
    First 500 miles, under 6,000 rpm
    500-1,000 miles, under 9,000 rpm
    1,000+ under 12,000 rpm

That, plus load/unload engine and vary rpm is what the manual says. And that's what I've been doing

Only 370 more miles until I can take her to 9,000 rpm, sounds like a good weekend of riding to me
    "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

Originally posted by Highsight2020
      See with this New 250 of Teresa's the book says not to goover 4000 rpm in the first 500 miles not to go over 6000 rpms for the next 500 miles. The book says basically what cyber said. The first day when I left the shop I hit 7000 with it and didn't know until I looked down. I am use to my bike i guess. After that I cruised along at 40mph which is right a the 4000rpm mark on this 250. It is going to be a long break in period for this bike.

It's great reading all this 'cause every bike i've owned have already been broken in. (Ah, the joys of a used bike. I'll get a new one someday )

But I had to do a double-take on the 40mph @ 4000. 4000rpm puts me at 'bout 85.
      sigpic

Comment

ummm...sorry...but RIDE IT HARD!

NEVER drone it on ANY highway...IGNORE the RPM crap the manual says and use LOTS of engine braking..that will set your rings. FREQUENT warm-up and cool down tempers the block and helps set everything. Running it for to long...sorry...its going to be bad in the long run...causes glazing and you will NEVER get good compression from that mill.

Comment

Re: Whoa.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          Originally posted by Macka
          So yesterday I took her out for a spin, gotta rack up those break-in miles quick, right?
          Try to remember that the best thing for the break-in is long steady cruising,

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Yes, what he said 8) 8) but toss in some throttle variation. It will happen naturally anyways...and welcome to the Kat Klub!!!
          My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

See with this New 250 of Teresa's the book says not to goover 4000 rpm in the first 500 miles not to go over 6000 rpms for the next 500 miles. The book says basically what cyber said. The first day when I left the shop I hit 7000 with it and didn't know until I looked down. I am use to my bike i guess. After that I cruised along at 40mph which is right a the 4000rpm mark on this 250. It is going to be a long break in period for this bike.
            That'll keep you off her bike then huh

Comment

If I ever get a new bike, I'm not certain I could stay under 40 for 500 miles :-\

Comment

Been there... sort of. Rode around w/ my buddy when he got his 250 a few years back, and yeah, having to stick with him at 40mph for 500 miles on the slow backroads was definately a test in self control. Have fun! (it gets much better after the break-in!)

Comment

Originally posted by Range

NEVER drone it on ANY highway...IGNORE the RPM crap the manual says and use LOTS of engine braking..that will set your rings. FREQUENT warm-up and cool down tempers the block and helps set everything. Running it for to long...sorry...its going to be bad in the long run...causes glazing and you will NEVER get good compression from that mill.
                  Gimme your daytona so I can break it in with your method :P

The one thing I never understood was why the factory didn't break them in on the bench ahead of time... It would be simple enough.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Range

You're right about heat cycles. THe bike should be brought up to temp with varying loads for a bit. Then let cool considerably, not just for a minute or two. LEt the parts shrink a bit, then run it again back up to temp. The more heat cycles, the better. The whole bring it up to temp for long periods is NOT recommended by most engine builders advice I've received.

On thing though about seating rings. Acceleration seats rings, not engine braking. PRessure above the rings force them into the cylinder walls running them in. Engine braking does the opposite, trying to squeeze oil past the rings.

Mike
                    '01 Bandit 1200
                    '82 Yamaha XT250

Comment

Try to remember that the best thing for the break-in is long steady cruising, like getting up on the highway at the RPM limit for your current mileage and just tooling along for a couple hours at a pop.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      You are not actually serious are you? Are you going to include this in your book that you are going to try to sell to new Katana owners?! If your book starts out like this, with basically the exact opposite of all conventional wisdom for ring seating, I tend to not trust the rest of what it might say. For you to release a book, which you hope to be used as a reference, you had better have it peer reviewed by some ACTUAL mechanics, who were formally trained. Getting your information off of the web and message boards can lead to accidental bad recommendations. As is the case with your bad idea for break in procedure. I suggest before you attempt to release a "reference book" you have some actual literary searches done, and some peer reviews if you do not want to be responsible for unsubstantiated information being distributed to people who are unaware of the fact until it is too late.

Keith

Comment

WOW DUDE, WTH!!!! So Mister Wise One, New Rider? what is your suggestion of proper breakin. I think if you are going to say the things you said to Cyber you should share you idea of proper break. In your right mind do you think there aren't any professional Technicians on this board? How ignorant is that.

Signed> Qualified, Certified, MMI graduate, Selfemployeed, Authorized Technician.
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

BAM!

pwned

Comment

Now calm down young Grasshopper. I do have a question for you though. Keith Code says that using the engine for braking is not good for the crank and pistons. If so, then it's not good for break-in and/or for slowing for corners right??
                            sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                            MSF Rider Coach 27028
                            MoPowerSports.com
                            Torco
                            SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Originally posted by Matt

Try to remember that the best thing for the break-in is long steady cruising, like getting up on the highway at the RPM limit for your current mileage and just tooling along for a couple hours at a pop.

Not to bust your chops, but that goes against everything I've ever heard/read about engine break-in.

I thought you were supposed to vary engine speed?

Am I misinformed?
                              that goes the same for cars right?
                              Hello World.

Comment

Originally posted by GixerKat
                                Now calm down young Grasshopper. I do have a question for you though. Keith Code says that using the engine for braking is not good for the crank and pistons. If so, then it's not good for break-in and/or for slowing for corners right??
                                slowing for corners, using the engine for braking is also hard on the clutch. there is nothing hard on any engine than start up and breakin! IMHO(I add that for newrider )
                                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                                Who knows what is next?
                                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                                X