Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Q: Anyone know a 12 Volt circuit delay plug-in?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q: Anyone know a 12 Volt circuit delay plug-in?

This may sound weird, but I am looking for something that will delay a 12 volt power feed by 2 to 15 seconds (think a delayed relay).

The oil temp sensor went in this weekend, and so did the gauge, but the gauge has a wiring trick to it that is annoying me... Goes like this:
    Gauge has four wires: power +, power -, temp sensor lead and light sense.
    If the power to the gauge is hot, gauge is on. Thus, to have the power to the gauge shut down with the bike, the positive is tied to a switched source (in this case one of the leads for the unused California fan plug).
    If the light sense to the gauge is hot when the power goes hot, it trips the gauge into a special setting mode used to set the emergency temp flash mode (i.e. - what temp to start flashing at me at instead of simply reading out the actual temp). On the other hand, if the light sense is delayed by 1 second or more, it actually acts as a dimmer for the display and the gauge never goes into the settings mode.
    Since the lights on the pre '05 Kats turns on with the key (at the same time as the power from any switched power source), the gauge immediately goes into the setting mode.
    So my choices are:
    (A) to leave the display on super bright and keep the light sense mode wire disconnected, OR
    (B) it put a physical switch inline (not desirable in my mind) to trip the light sense; OR
    (C) attach the light sense to the low-beam feed (so it doesn't trip on high-beam, which I ride on during the day, but if I start with the lights in low-beam mode it would go into settings mode; again, not desirable), OR
    (D) to find something that will delay the power to the light sense wire by a couple seconds (best solution).

Thus, here is today's quest: does anyone know of a standard item that I can put inline to the light sense wire which will delay the power to it by a couple of seconds? Surely there has to be something on the market that will do this...

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

I have a buddy with a diesel engine in his truck and he is in the process of getting a remote start mounted. They had to order a "delay start relay" to allow time for the glowplugs before it cranks the motor. Sounds like what you are talking about. Try asking around for something along that line.

Hope that helps some.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Is this what you're looking for? They seem to get more expensive as the increments of delay increase...

Comment

read about RC time constants - a resistor & capacitor will do the trick.

tim

Comment

Yeah a fat cap could do it..
          I had a small ss circuit and relay package.
          I still might have it but it was 120 Vac..
          I used it to turn on my TV when the cable box
          was turned on.
          The cable box had a 120 switched outlet..
          So 5 sec. after the cable box was powered (by the cable remote), the TV would turn on..
          The package was about 1 X 3/4 X 3/4..
          If I can lay my hands on it the manufacturer may have a 12v version..

Comment

Originally posted by trinc

tim
            I thought this would do it:

But then someone said it needs to be done this way:

Tim, can you verify that method 2 is the right way of wiring it?

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              Originally posted by trinc

tim
              I thought this would do it:

But then someone said it needs to be done this way:

Tim, can you verify that method 2 is the right way of wiring it?

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet

yes - #2

of course the math works many ways with the two parts,

the larger the resister the slower the cap is going to charge ( resister limits the current ) but once it's up to voltage the capacitor will suppliment the current from the incoming source if it drops but if you have too large a resister/ too small of cap it will not be able to supply enough current to the load.

find out the requirements of the load before choosing your parts.

i hope this makes sense. but if it's just detecting a voltage (12v)
              then probably any combination will work.

tim

Comment

McMaster Carr sells a 12V delay-on-make relay with a .6 to 60 second timer adjust (or others for other time ranges) for a mere $41.30. Power consumption is 250 mA and the part number is 7268K12. The downside is you also need the socket for it (7122K19, $3.70) and it's about 2.90" Ht. x 1.75" Wd. x 2.40". There's probably other porpose-built relays that are cheaper, smaller, and non-adjustable. This is just the kind I knew how to get!
                '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

I don't have the part # on hand but I do know you can find it at a Radio Shack. Used one for a Shifter in a car.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

OK, it's built. Total cost: about $4.59 with tax.
                    47k Ohm resistor: 99 cents/pack of five
                    220microFerad Capacitor: $1.29
                    tiny 2.125" x 1.375" x .5" project box: $1.99
                    I'm not counting the cost of the wiring, solder or gasket material I used to seal the box up.

Totat time delay: 10.2 seconds, give or take a second.

PS - today the manufacturer of the gauge informs me that they don't recommend using them in motorcycles. A week after I asked... #$@*% him... a bit more silicone and it'll be waterproof. Next time I'll know.

EDIT - I have obsoleted that brand (Dyna Gauges) and worked with Siemens-VDO's instrument engineers to come up with gauges that are suitable for our applications (all-weather, open-cockpit, high-vibration). Delay circuit is obsolete as well... Those are what I now sell (see my for-sale thread).

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Last edited by The CyberPoet; 05-29-2008, 03:57 PM.
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Are you going to post pictures when this is complete? Like a "how to"

Comment

Originally posted by DINGBAT
                        Are you going to post pictures when this is complete? Like a "how to"
                        The oil temp sensor mod will be in the book.

As for the delay circuit, with the circuit diagram (above), you should be able to do it with no problems what so ever... Here's the parts list:
                        Radio Shack part numbers:
                        2700288 Project Box, 2.125 x 1.375 x .5"
                        2721017 220 microFerad capacitor, 35V DC max, -40 to +85 degree C operating temp
                        2711130 5 pack of 47k Ohm 1/2watt resistors. Use one of the five.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                        X