X

what do you do when a cage starts to pull into your lane

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you do when a cage starts to pull into your lane

I was reading this in an article not too long ago..and we've talked before about always having an escape route planned out when riding on the highway or in traffic. But what do you find you've normally done to avoid the ever increasing scenario of a cage who starts to creep into your lane, or just totally cuts you off? Try and speed ahead before he gets into your lane? grab on your brakes and then pass him afterwards? ride the shoulder safely past him?

Ive had to do all those at some point, to avoid being crunched between merging cars that cut me off,and the guard rail or other traffic.

I have had to do speed ahead before they get into my lane cause of a car following to close and grab on my brakes and then pass them.

Comment

I make a conscious effort to never ride next to a car, either speed up or slow down till you are not next to them. It works well at avoiding a lot of those situations.
      I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane

Comment

i try to never stay on the side of a car for any lenght of time. that way when you see it happening you are far enough ahead to pass, or behind to brake. Never ride along side another vehicle on your bike
        Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

I guess it would depend on the conditions. I've had to speed up, slam on the brakes and blow the horn.

Comment

I agree 100% never get to close and it will help to avoid the issue

Check out www.Atozhometheater.com

Comment

I once kicked a car that did that to me at a stop sign. he figured he could squeeze up beside me in the lane. arsehole.
              - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Damn , you're a MEAN biker chick ! Such a cute mental image , though ! Situation will dictate my response . Usually involves the horn and a not so friendly "wave" afterwards , though . :bigfinger
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

By this point, it's muscle memory...
                  Clutch in, brakes on, horn on, high beam on. Stay on the horn for at least 10 seconds. Then look for a way to get away from them... Used to kick in doors (steel-toed boots), and once during my first year of riding even took the old bike over the tail end of a bug that cut me off then stopped (wheelied up, then slammed the brakes, dropping the wheel down on their engine cover, then rolled off -- is it a hood or a truck lid when it's in the back?).

Yes, I'm one of those who always has at least one alternative route planned... Standard German driving training. Unfortunately, in Florida, between the old folk with no periphreal vision and the super-tinted windows of the young crowd, I have this happen to me at least once a week.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Depends on how fast it happens. If it happens fast I eat sh|t and then I focus on damage control. If I have some time to react, I just try to get the hell out of there. And like someone else said, I was on the highway when someone came into my lane, I just punched her window w my middle finger out. She moved back over. Its a good thing I didnt hit her window hard, I was wearing those joe rocket gloves with the carbon fiber knuckles.
                    Bikes don't kill people, People kill bikes.

Comment

I usually hit the horn but I also steer away from the idiot, I mean cage, slow down, then when it's safe I pass the cage, let the driver know what I think of his/her brilliant move then toss a quarter inch flat washer over my shoulder at them(as long as we are above 50mph).
                      I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

I use the high beam during the day. If you haven't tried it, you should. Visibility is much greater, people can't quite tell how far away you are either, because they're blinded, so around here, they stay put. Mass State Registry website suggests high beams for bikes during the day.

I never ride next to car if I can't make the pipe sing at 6,000 RPM. (announcing my presence)

As a former dirtbike rider, I'll put the bike anywhere it needs to go, sidewalk, front lawn, other lane, into the woods, whatever keeps me safe or minimizes impact.
                        Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt
                          I use the high beam during the day. If you haven't tried it, you should. Visibility is much greater, people can't quite tell how far away you are either, because they're blinded, so around here, they stay put. Mass State Registry website suggests high beams for bikes during the day.
                          Actually, this is now a Federal rule -- all states in the USA must permit (not require, but permit) motorcyclists to drive with their highbeams on during daylight hours without penalty, for visibility/safety reasons.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyhberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I try to stay in a position where I am not next to a vehicle if at all possible. Out of the couple times I had been cut off, Iwas able to slam on the brakes, and get out of the way.
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

If they're just being normal cagers & didn't see you then avoid them & save yourself/bike. If they see you & do it anyway back off, get their license number & contact the local police & file charges on them. Reckless/Careless driving usually carries a pretty heavy fine. Just try to get some witnesses for your benefit. Road Rage cases are taken seriously now.

Comment

Working...
                              X