X

Lost Tank Key

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Tank Key

I was at the beach yesterday and lost the keys to my bike...I know, I'm an idiot. Anyways, I got my spare and drove my bike home, but one of the keys I lost opened my gas tank and underseat (only one I had). Just wondering if anyone knows how much it'll cost to get a new key molded for the lock, or has any other ideas?

Maybe you can go back to Zook and get a dupe. I dunno.
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

when you bought the bike did you get the little plastic strip that has the code on it?
      Hold on Tight.......

Comment

Man, I was thinking you wouldn't be able to drive your self propelled armor anymore!

-2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
        -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

If you have a general area of where you lost it, grab a metal detector and go and get that key back.
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

correct me if I am wrong, but I think all you need to get a new key for a recent bike is go to the dealers with the serial number. I know it works for cars, and I think bikes as well.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrison
              Man, I was thinking you wouldn't be able to drive your self propelled armor anymore!

Yeah, that could be problematic
              2006 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Comment

Go down a couple letters in the alphabet and send a pm to special k. He might have a lock set for you to replace all of them (and make them all open with one key)

Comment

The ONLY way to get a key from Suzuki is if you have the plastic key code tag that *may* have come with the bike when it was new. Then they'll order you one from Japan.

Otherwise, at Suzuki, you're screwed.

Call around and find a locksmith than can cut you one and take him the bike while you still have gas.
                  -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
                  -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

Call around and find a locksmith than can cut you one and take him the bike while you still have gas.
                    If he dosn't have a spare key, how would he get it to the locksmith without trailering it too him. And if he has a spare, why bother??

Other than that...... a good locksmith should be able to take your VIN number, open his little secret book, and have ya going in 5.......70 dolla please.
                    It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Originally posted by tnvatdreamland
                      If he dosn't have a spare key, how would he get it to the locksmith without trailering it too him. And if he has a spare, why bother??

Other than that...... a good locksmith should be able to take your VIN number, open his little secret book, and have ya going in 5.......70 dolla please.
                      He does have a spare key, just not one for the tank...

The last time I had to get a key made, it took the guy 5hours and cost me $600. Of course, it was a BMW and had an impossible to make key (sidewinder). The locksmith gave me a discount and normally wouldn't have done it anyway, but he "wanted to see if he could do it"

Anyway, you shouldn't need to ride it anywhere, most locksmiths work out of a truck or van and generaly won't charge you any different for coming to you.
                      Two goldfish were in their tank.
                      One turns to the other and says,
                      "You man the guns, I'll drive."

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                        Go down a couple letters in the alphabet and send a pm to special k. He might have a lock set for you to replace all of them (and make them all open with one key)
                        only problem with a new set is you still need to get the old gas cap off. undoing the bolts won't do it alone. you'll need to punch the lock.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Call a locksmith and he can pop it open in about 5 minutes. I'm looking at a tank lock barrel right now and they only have 5 keyway pins (these are the slides inside that move up or down according to your key to make the barrel round so it'll turn). There is nothing complicated about Kat locks at all and any locksmith with more than a days experience should be able to open it up and make you a new key.

FYI on above comment about SpecialK... he sent me all his parts and is out of the business. I've got a big bag of parts so this would be how I'm looking at a barrel now........... I rekeyed a bunch of sets when he first sent them to me and it took all of about 30 minutes for me to learn how they all work and what to do to rekey them. Trust me, it's super easy.
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
                          X