Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Katana Upgrades - What do other forum members think?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana Upgrades - What do other forum members think?

Greetings fellow Katana riders.

I joined this forum some time ago without any real expectation. Here I have read about some tips and ideas that are worthwhile, others that don't fit my personal style. While I don't post much here (I'm not a Master like the others here ) I want to share the things I have done to my Kat and the ones I still want to do. Maybe others have things to chip in and contribute.

I'll begin by describing my riding style:
    My Katana is a tool. It's an escape. I moved to CA not even 24 months ago and I like to explore it on my bike. I avoid anything with and "I' and a blue shield around it (interstates). I love back roads and even dirt roads. Have you ever seen Z-rated tires handle fire roads and gravel roads? Even better, have you ever done it?

At the same time, I like speed. But not on the street. I'd very much rather take it to the track. I have only been two days at a track, my next one this weekend, but I love every minute of it already.

I don't think the Katana was built for the things I make it go through. But it has handled pretty well all this time, never failing me, or me it (meaning, it's always been kept sunny side up ).

So then, what have I done to it?
    1- For the long trips, I replaced the custom seat with a Corbin seat. In itself it added some long-range comfort, but I'm still not sure it was worth the expensive cost. Better than stock, yes. All the wonders I hear about them, no. But more on this later.

2- For the night rides, I replaced the stock head light bulbs (55/60) with high beams (55/100). The difference in illumination power at night is impressive when running the high beams, the same when running low beams (as expected). The bad part about it is that I only use them when no one is in front (for considerate reasons).

3- For overnight trips (short or long) I needed change of clothes. Givi discontinued the Katana hard cases some time ago, and I really can't afford it. So I went with the Ventura Pack System. A nice bag that fits enough clothes for up to 5 days out (I'm a light packer). I still wish I had hard cases, though.

4- For the varied terrain that I transverse, I changed the suspension. The rear stock spring is not as good as you would expect, so I changed it. I also had someone modify the front springs and add a higher density oil to the forks. This change just happened this week and I will test it in the track and on the street in the next couple of weeks.

5- Tires. Many options out there. I've used the Dunlop stock tires, I have used Metzler M6's, and Michelin Pilot Powers. In my humble opinion, Pilot Powers are the best for handling (curves, grip, sensitivity) but I get better mileage from the Metzlers. I don't think I'll ever use a Dunlop again.

6- Throttle lock. Priceless comfort at $39.99. For the long trips where I go through farm lands (long straights) or I do have to end up in an interstate, this little guy is a great thing to have.

The last thing I want to do:
    I want to raise the handle bars, but I have not figured out how to do it yet. What I want is to raise them to have a more sit-up position while riding on long trips. I have not looked much for a kit, but just to consider all the re-wiring it will involve I get discouraged from doing it.

Overall, the Katana has been a great bike for me. My previous bike was a cruiser (Suzuki Marauder 800). After having owned these two bikes I have come to realize I belong more in a DL-xxxx model more than the Marauder or Katana, but for the time being I am very happy.

Just wanted to share this story with other fellow Katana owners.

If anyone happens to have information or opinions on raising the handle bars they are always welcome.

Peace.
    Ride safe.

-Pablo
    [/b]

i grew up in that area, so i'm familiar with some of those back roads... and took my first Kat on a few of them. it can be done, but there's no margin for error... if you drop the bike, you're fairings are going to show it.

if you have a 600, i think you can swap the top triple calmp for the one from the 750 and get a few inches taller... i haven't checked the parts fiche yet, but expect to have to swap the front brake line, throttle, clutch and choke cables.

if you want to play on the rough, unpaved (or poorly paved) backroads, a DR 650, KLR 650, V-Strom 650 or Versys will be better suited to that task. with some nerf bars, you can drop it without chewing the bike up badly, especially with the first two.

that doesn't mean you've got to get rid of the Kat... someitmes it's nice to be able to have a choice of tools for the job.
    KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

I am looking at a throttle lock as well. I am getting a wrist rest this afternoon.
      I added saddle bags last week.
      Thw shop I go to said they can add a 2 inch riser to the bar and I am looking at that as well. and possible a larger windshield.
      I am adding the tail bag peice to the saddle bag and then a nice tank bag.
      That should finish the conversion to a touring bike.

Comment

Well I hope to debut Lisa's Kat at the Rally....Suspension on the kat is very weak. GSXR front clip and a hayabusa rear shock is light years ahead of the kat equipment. Next inline for her will be braided brake lines with HH pads. Her bike was bought piped and jetted and makes plenty of power for her (for now) and with a new set of Metzler Z6's...the kat is as good as any other NEW entry level bike could ever hope to be.

Comment

Thanks for the comments to those that posted.

I definitely agree with converting the Katana more into a touring bike.

That's what I am kind of trying to do.

Regarding the "goaty road" use, I also agree. I've been looking at DL650 with a lot of love lately, but I don't want to replace the Katana yet. Sadly, I can't afford two bikes.

Comment

I kinda like riding on gravel roads . Mainly because every one else is askeered of 'em .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
            X