No announcement yet.
X

Do you "walk" your bike at slow speeds?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you "walk" your bike at slow speeds?

Ok....you are in a crowded place with your bike...some place with pedestrians...or obstacles and lots of very slow speed turns and manouvers.....Do you have your feet down doing those long windmill strokes with them, or are they up on the pegs where they belong? Is it stop go with your feet down...or a smooth slow roll with feet on the pegs?
    Same with traffic. I always get a kick seeing riders who have their legs out at angles just "in case".

I thought to ask this because of all the mention of rear brake use. Personally, I can manouver my bike quite well at very slow speeds...almost stopped, while keeping my foot on the pegs. I use the rear brake to achieve this. If you drag the rear brake quite firm and smooth (minds out of the gutter, ladies), you can have surprising control at slow speeds and work the throttle to prevent jerky acceleration or stalling. My feet are either on the pegs or on the ground...never hanging in the air. Where are yours?
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

I have only walked my bike when backing up, or making a slow sharp turn. The last time I did it, I had a drop. Mostly just walk it backwards though. Other than that, my feet are on the pegs, or on the ground. I don't wana risk getting my big arse feet caught between the peg and the ground and have it drag me down.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Backing up is a given....unless you have reverse, there is no ther way, obviously.

Comment

I prefer to have the feet on the pegs at even the slowest speed. I even find myself practicing riding at lower than ldle with my feet on the pegs.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Mostly on the pegs, but it depends on the day and how slow is "slow." I usually pick whichever is less work. If I do lift my feet, I am committed and keep 'em on the pegs where they belong.

Comment

Originally posted by JesterGfx
            Mostly on the pegs, but it depends on the day and how slow is "slow." I usually pick whichever is less work. If I do lift my feet, I am committed and keep 'em on the pegs where they belong.
            I personally have kept my feet on the pegs and have to use the turning of the handle bars to keep moving. That is always a goal of mine.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

The only time I walk is if im backing it up. If Im stopped, and then start moving again, even at very slow snails pace, I prefer to have my feet on the pegs. If something happens and u have to make a fast getaway, ur already set to go. Example. If a cager is coming up behind you and isnt slowing down near fast enuff and ur about to get rear ended..or tboned from a tard in oncoming traffic.

Comment

Depends on if I am going straight or have to turn
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

It depends on my mood. Sometimes im lazy or cold and dont want to move, others I have a little too much energy goin on and i will do the windmill step or drag em like Im skiing. It all depends on the day and the mood.
                  Bikes don't kill people, People kill bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by THAZ
                    I personally have kept my feet on the pegs and have to use the turning of the handle bars to keep moving. That is always a goal of mine.
                    If you are talking about that handle bars from one side to the other to keep it balanced, try like I mentioned....drag the rear brake and add a bit more throttle. You don't speed up, but it seems to require less of that back and forth on the front wheel to keep balanced.

Comment

I keep my feet on the pegs unless I just cannot hold the bike up, then I put my feet down.
                      2000 Kat 600
                      "Fast Blue"
                      Pic in Profile

Comment

when you see someone walking their bike its a good sign that they are a new rider, or need to work on their slow speed skills
                        Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

I keep my feet on the pegs as much as possible. when I teach that's one of my goals, to have all my students keep their feet on the pegs when going slow and not walking it. it's gotten so bad that, out of habit, I sometimes unintentionally yell at random ppl to pick their feet up
                          and I've gotten pretty good at slow speed stuff on my bike. entered the slow races for the first (and only) time couple of summers ago - got second place :mrgreen:
                          - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                            I prefer to have the feet on the pegs at even the slowest speed. I even find myself practicing riding at lower than ldle with my feet on the pegs.
                            +1

Comment

If u ever get a chance to do a motorcycle challenge course, do it.. it'll really let u know where ur skills are in slow riding and handling of ur bike. It's basically, whoever finishes the race in the slowest time possible, wins. It's all about control and balance. If u put ur feet down, u lose.

Comment

Working...
                              X