X

Rider Etiquette

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rider Etiquette

From reading another post on here, I am reminded of the issue of rider etiquette. I always thought it was pretty much a given. If you're a rider, then you have rider etiquette. Wrong. Whenever I pass someone else on a bike, I wave. If a cager moves over to let me past or moves just a little further over in their lane for added safety, I appreciate it and always wave. I even enjoy the little random talks you have at the stop light with some random rider. You can even tell the average cager from a motorcyclist in a cage by it. I just wish everyone had this.
    I cant tell you how many times I have not got the return wave or have ridden with someone who has no concern for your or thier safety, which is obvious by the way they ride. Thats a lack of etiquette. There are many other examples of etiquette.......what do you think rider etiquette means and is it this visible to you too?

EDIT: One last thing.....do you think etiquette is one of those things that is learned or are some of us just predisposed to it? I have always been the way I am, I dont think it is something I learned....
    Bikes don't kill people, People kill bikes.

Re: Rider Etiquette

Originally posted by Dagger969
    .......what do you think rider etiquette means and is it this visible to you too?
    Here is my .02 cents worth. To me it all boils down to common courtesy and respect and often times some people just don't know what that is. They live their lives oblivious to others around them and that is sad.
    Originally posted by Dagger969
    EDIT: One last thing.....do you think etiquette is one of those things that is learned or are some of us just predisposed to it? I have always been the way I am, I dont think it is something I learned....
    Some things you learn, others well, they are just part of who you are. Some people get it, but unfortunately some don't and never will.

Comment

I think ettiqute has to do with ego as well. Me, I'm a pretty friendly person, and I ride because it is something I enjoy. I think I have actually become a better cage driver since starting to ride. I thein my ettiqute is pretty good for the most part, but I have no tolerance for stunt riders on the street or highway. That would be BAD ettqute.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
        I think I have actually become a better cage driver since starting to ride.
        ill second that!!! ever since i started riding, i give other cycleists the room that i now know they need. Confucious says: "do unto others what you want done to you"
        -tonmarchelli

Comment

x3 riding on a bike, makes you realize just how dumb and inconsiderate many cagers are. And how much they really can be oblivious or just dont care. Ive always believed treat others they way u want to be treated. That doesnt mean Im a pushover by any means, but if you give someone respect, courtesy, etc. Someday it will come back around full circle. But anyhow, being a rider makes you realize even more what a responsibility it is to drive on the road today.

Comment

and I 4th that, You definitely learn alot more about street etiquette when on a bike then in a cage.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

[quote="tonmarchelli"]
              ill second that!!! ever since i started riding, i give other cycleists the room that i now know they need. Confucious says: "do unto others what you want done to you"[/quote

+1
              2000 Kat 600
              "Fast Blue"
              Pic in Profile

Comment

[quote="1BlueKat"]
                Originally posted by tonmarchelli
                ill second that!!! ever since i started riding, i give other cycleists the room that i now know they need. Confucious says: "do unto others what you want done to you"[/quote

+1
                +1 This is so true.

Comment

the nicest thing a perso never did for me was when it was raining, a cager pulled to very very out side of the lane so i could see about 5 people infront of him did the same thing, it was awesome i was sooo happy

Comment

I think I have always been a good driver, but it defiantely heightened when I began riding.
                    I think the etteiquette part of it comes from what kind of person you are as well, or even how you saw your parents drive.

When around riders and in my Jeep I am double aware. I have always given others the right of way, and figure when I do that, they may be more likely to do that to someone else.

I know with a lot of my non-riding friends and people at work I always stress about riders saftey and how "unseen" we are. I'd like to think a few of them are a bit more aware now
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I think ettiquite for the most part is just part of your personality, but a few can be taught. Riding makes you more aware. I mean, I actually see potholes now and avoid them *grin*. And All the riders up in Kirksville are REALLY nice. Even the bad-assed harley riders will give you a large grin and a wave.

Comment

I'm a harley rider - I'm not allowed to wave - it's in the manual
                        - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

i have found that this carries over even to the off street world i used to hook up with anyone on the trails known or not or if you rode past you stil waved. this even carried over to when i drove it took some time for me to stop the starting to waves to bikers since i was in a car. but i even remember after getting my first dirtbike my dad got his street bike since he missed his old old one...you know the one, the one you gave up when you got married and sacrifices had to be made. but i remember going with him and waving and moving. i even remember riding out to ri to see a girl i followed a rider in my cage didnt want to race him just wanted to follow to admire but when it came up to a car in his way i backed off to let him in. it was a good time. but damn i wanted a bike when we both hit a turn that did a major circle. but i have to agree its an ego/respect thing

Comment

Originally posted by Slim
                            yeah right, rule number two, right under put on chrome

just kidding, I love HD they make me money
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                              Originally posted by Slim
                              yeah right, rule number two, right under put on chrome

just kidding, I love HD they make me money
                              and rule #3...make sure to get a better tool kit for fixing and repairing daily sorry slim, couldnt resist!

Comment

Working...
                              X