X

Always ride w/ earplugs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always ride w/ earplugs?

Ever since I first started riding with them, I try to never be without them. I used to think it hindered my hearing of my surroundings too much, so I didnt wear them. But its amazing how much of a positive difference they make. And how much wind noise inside your helmet there really is.
    Always ride w/ them.
    0.00%
    No, don't use them
    0.00%
    I try to remember but sometimes forget
    100.00%

i'm like you, the wind noise is murder without them.

Comment

After buying the Kat back from one of my brothers I noticed that it was a lot louder, thought it was my helmet(Nolan Classic N100) so I started wearing earplugs, like Need4Speed750 I thought they would impair my hearing but to my surprise I could actually hear better because the earplugs cut down on the noise of the bike & wind there-by making traffic noise further away more audible. I will probably keep wearing the earplugs with my new helmet.

I did find out why the Kat was louder when I got it back from my brother, he replaced the stock airbox with K&N individual filters(they do't like to stay on), I have put the original airbox back on & have noticed that the Kat is not as loud as it was before
      I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

I have never worn them. I have a D&D and love listening to that down the highway. I think I am going to incorporate headphones into my helmet this year though.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

I find with my HJC I get a headache after 30 minutes at highways speeds without them. It's easy when I commute, I put them in in the morning and leave them in until I get home. It's loud on the assembly line at work so they are a must IMHO. Besides work is were I get them to keep stocked up lol.
          Kyle

Comment

Wow--you guys have great memories. I try to wear 'em every time, but sometimes I get into my ride and realize why everything is so freaking loud. :P

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Untill now I have never heard of wearing ear plugs while riding.?

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I didnt used to do it either Fred, once you put them on and ride with them for alittle while, then pullover and take them out..u wont believe the difference it makes.

Comment

IF IT IS TOO LOUD YOU ARE TOO OLD.
                  PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
                  The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

I have several types of ear plugs, from custom-molded ones to disposable foam to rubber-industrial ones. The rubber-industrial ones for $2 - $4 are the best, and after I figured it out, I went and bought 15 pairs, so I have a bin of them now.

I wear them any time I'm going to cover more than a mile or three. If you ride a 600 mile day, they make a massive difference. In my case, I also have speakers in the helmet for the tunes or communications (depending on which helmet) -- they work well with the ear plugs; I just turn the stereo up and the ear plugs cut both the wind noise and the stereo levels, so it balances out nicely

KNOW THIS:
                    At 70 mph, wind noise for a typical helmet is at a level that OSHA would mandate you wear hearing protection if it was a job that you had to do for more than 5 minutes a day.
                    At 95 mph, the wind noise for a typical helmet is at a level that is considered permanently damaging to hearing without protection.
                    Use the best (highest-rated well-fitting) ear plugs you can find. I will be happy to sell anyone who wants them rubber-compound reusable earplugs dirt cheap (shipping will probably cost more than the plugs). EDIT: I only have a limited number left, but managed to track down another source and order anothe 100. $5 via 1st Class Mail, $7.50 via priority mail, two pairs of permanent/reusable ear plugs (not foam), different brands so you can select for comfort. Add $1.50 for each additional pair. Paypal to [email protected]

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by UFO8MyCow
                        IF IT IS TOO LOUD YOU ARE TOO OLD.
                        Thats the way to do but after reading this maybe i'll wear them just to NOT HEAR the damn noises and rattles
                        " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Unless it's less than a five minute ride, I wear them everytime.

Hearing loss is serious, dude...if anybody thinks they are too "young" to do damage to their ears, they better think again.
                          You got it.
                          Get on it.

www.georgiasportbike.com

Comment

I've never even thought about using them, It seems like a great idea, next time I go out i'm going to give them a shot.

Comment

Yup, always wear them. If I forget, at times I have pulled off to put them on.
                              I use the rubber ones you get at Walgreens or any pharmacy place. A couple of bucks for 10 or so. Well worth it.
                              - Sufyan.

Wearing helmets is NOT a civil rights issue - it is a safety issue, period!

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
                              X