No announcement yet.
X

Always ride w/ earplugs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always wear them. Except when I forget to put them back in after a rest stop. Range is always in such a hurry.

I was one of the doubters at first, but I couldn't believe the difference they made after I started wearing them.

DEFINATELY try them out... you'll see. 8)

Comment

I WEAR THEM - BUT DON'T REMEMBER TAKING THEM OUT.

i was suprised how much your sense of speed comes from sound - for you that will first be using them - be careful.

tim

Comment

We dont' wear them, earplugs bother me
        And I dont think Nick has ever given it much thought. He is deaf from bouncing at the bar anyway
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I wear those headphones that also have earplugs built in. Works well, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by UFO8MyCow
            IF IT IS TOO LOUD YOU ARE TOO OLD.
            you sure you're not too old if you need a font that big to read it?? :P

As for ear plugs....I try to remember them if I'm wearing my shorty helmet. but with my full face I tend to have one earbud in and my minidisk player in my inside jacket pocket - that's why when I ride I bounce....I'm singing in my helmet!! :mrgreen:
            - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
              i was suprised how much your sense of speed comes from sound - for you that will first be using them - be careful.
              +1

I agree 100% Earplugs DEFINATELY help you ride faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                Originally posted by trinc
                +1

I agree 100% Earplugs DEFINATELY help you ride faster.
                +1 more.

The first time I wore them I was speeding everywhere.

Also, watch yourself in the corners. Speeding on a straight isn't too big a deal (unless you meet Mr Plod), but going into a corner faster than you think is an interesting experience.

While you are being careful through the corners, take a quick glance at your speedo. You'll probably find you are still faster than you used to go. That is what I found anyway.

The make you concentrate more on the feel of the bike and you start trusting it and your skills more. It is great.

Then you see some #@%$%ing leave in the middle of the road and the next thing....

hmmm... I've really gotta get my bike back and get over those leaves.

But definitely go for the plugs. Hearing loss is annoying, but tinitus (ringing in the ears) is often something that comes with hearing loss. I know someone who recently developed tinitus and it does NOT sound like a fun thing to have. A constant ringing 24/7. Something I can live without.
                fulcrum (aka David)
                Blue 2004 GSX750F
                Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
                If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

I always wear them. Even minor wind noise can still damage your hearing. I can hear my bike alot better and everything around me. When I am done riding I can talk in a normal voice and not be yelling. For those that have never ridden with them should at least try it on a few rides. You will notice a huge difference and keep wearing them.
                  www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                    I think I am going to incorporate headphones into my helmet this year though.
                    +1

www.vwvortex.com
                    I have nothing to say, I have no opinion. That's what I learned from 9 1/2 years of marriage.
                    Thanks to all who are serving in our GREAT ARMED FORCES from an old Navy Squid

Comment

I put that I dont use them, although this season I intend to start.
                      Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

All helmets are noisy to some point so I always wear them. If I forget, I'll pull over and put them in. I also find I can ride longer. Not only is wind noise annoying, it is also very tiring.

Comment

I just orderd mine last week!!

should get them in about 5 weeks!

Those who use them.. Hard or soft ones!

I orded hard plugs!

W
                          "Remember the time when racing was dangerous and sex was safe"

Comment

I talked to missy about them last nite actually..mentioned I just picked up some more from CP..she was like, why in the world would u wear them while riding..it impairs ur hearing of your surroundings. I had to explain to her, that it stops all the whistling of the air thru your helmet, and when u dont wear them, the wind inhibits ur hearing of ur surroundings more. And I just assume keep my hearing for while

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                              I talked to missy about them last nite actually..mentioned I just picked up some more from CP..she was like, why in the world would u wear them while riding..it impairs ur hearing of your surroundings. I had to explain to her, that it stops all the whistling of the air thru your helmet, and when u dont wear them, the wind inhibits ur hearing of ur surroundings more. And I just assume keep my hearing for while
                              I don't know about other brands/makes, but the ones I sell have a curve to the sound they block (they block certain frequencies more than others), thus actually improving the contrast in most sounds other than wind noise. You might also want to explain it to her thusly: it's easier to hear a train whistle in the distance when you're not standing in the middle of a rock concert -- your brain has an easier time separating out specific noises if the total noise level isn't as high (such as separating out a specific conversation is easier in a quiet room of casual conversations than it is in a loud cafe or bar).

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

my MSF instructor said that most of the deaf students he has are much better than the ones who can hear.

He said they are more apt to use their senses and pay more attention, where as normal riders are lied to and distracted by sound
                                Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Working...
                                X