X

Key Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Question

Is the lock on the gas tank EXACTLY the same as the lock on the ignition? I know they use the same key, but I'm just making sure maybe the ignition one isn't more complex or something (I don't know a lot about locks, I just don't want to bring down the gas cap to have a key made, and find out it's different).

Thanks!
    Red 1988 600F

Not sure about pre-98 but they are exactly the same for mine.
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

You've taken them apart?
      Red 1988 600F

Comment

The gascap lock itself is less complex than the ignition. Same with the seat lock.
        They only use one set of peaks and lands, the ignition uses both sides.
        A talented locksmith should be able to use the seatlock to make a new key, but you should probably use the ignition regardless.

I cut my own keys by trial and error with needle files

Comment

One guy quoted $125-150 to come to the house and do it.. OUCH, no thanks!

I'm on the phone with another company (on hold) and maybe they'll be less.
          Red 1988 600F

Comment

Ugh. "Hundreds of dollars" again.

So.. in that case.. how do you remove the ignition lock from a 1988 Katana 600??
            Red 1988 600F

Comment

have you looked at the manual here on this site?you might even try the search button

Comment

Remove clipons, steering stem screw, loosen fork clamps, unplug ignition wires and pull the top triple.

Removing the ignition from the triple: There's several ways, which I'll let you decide on. (I drilled)

Comment

Originally posted by DonShannon
                  Remove clipons, steering stem screw, loosen fork clamps, unplug ignition wires and pull the top triple.

Removing the ignition from the triple: There's several ways, which I'll let you decide on. (I drilled)
                  i used a small socket and tapped it onto the bolts. came off fairly easily.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

my ignition switch is attached with two allen head bolts. I remove the triple tree cover, unplug the switch and take out the two bolts. simple as pie.

I feel sorry for you guys that have to remove the clip-ons and a bunch of other crap.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                      my ignition switch is attached with two allen head bolts. I remove the triple tree cover, unplug the switch and take out the two bolts. simple as pie.

I feel sorry for you guys that have to remove the clip-ons and a bunch of other crap.
                      Don't say that too loudly, lest some nefarious cretin visit your bike with a $4.99 set of allen keys...

Comment

Originally posted by d3ad1ysp0rk
                        You've taken them apart?
                        Negative, roger now, I see you're talking about the guts.
                        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                        JOHN 16:33

Comment

Working...
                        X