X

Newbie's Got A Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie's Got A Question

Hi everyone. My name is Mike and I just bought a 95 Katana 750 off a friend of mine. I'm trying to get it ready for the road and had a few quick questions. First off, should the brake light come on if either brake lever is used? Mine only comes on when the rear brake foot pedal is depressed. Also you have to push kind of far down before it comes on. Where is the brake light switch, and how do I adjust? Thanks for the time everyone!

mine comes on with but mine is a 2002 so I not sure if there the same but i'm pretty sure it should come on with both

Comment

YES the brake light should come on when either the front OR back brakes are applied. Think about heading down the highway and slowing down for the lady in the cage ahead of you doing her makeup in the rearview mirror while yelling at her husband on her cell phone. Do you want the some other cager to drive right into the back of you because you neglected to apply the back brake in order to light up the brake light?

As for adjustment, I can only suggest you search out the service manual. Its available on KR as a download. I had someone point me to it once so I'll go look and edit this post when I find it.

oh yeah....Welcome to KR.

Wow that was fast. Here 'tis:

I wise man once wrote on KR "The search is your friend!"
      I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

I know on the 98+ Kat, the brake switch for the front brake is located under the front master cylinder, and, the rear switch is located near the brake pedal on the inside of the frame. Not sure if this will help, with you having a 95, but, it is a place to start looking.
        I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

It doesn't matter what they say about you as long as they spell your name right.

Comment

Okie dokie as you can see by my profile I know nothing about 95 750s..

If you look at the rear brake pedal (actually behind it) there is a black bullet shaped thingie. That is the brake switch. It has a threaded section and is attached to the petal with a spring. If you unscrew it that will make the light come on quicker. Don't forget to tighten the lock nut. It should come on as soon as the petal is off the stop IMO. Now the front. There is a switch under the lever. If you look at the brake lever there is a tab hanging off the bottom. That should hit the switch (actually the light turns on when the switch is released).

Congrats on buying the single best Katana model made!!

Comment

here you go, got some things that will help you or should help out and be a great starting spot. since your rear brake light works, i didn't take any pictures. But for reference, where your brake pedal goes through the frame, just inside the frame there is a spring that goes to the frame for a return spring, and one to a switch. that switch is the brake light switch.

here is the front. the first image is of the switch itself and the screw to adjust it.

the second picture is the button or the actual part that is depressed or not depressed, that is what your adjusting.

hope it helps. i would start there and search and trace back to the light, could be loose wire or something.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

either brake lever should trigger the brake light.

the switches for the brakes may be dirty, out of adjustment, or have corroded contacts, or simply be unplugged from the main leectrical harness.

if is possible to replace the banjo bolt at either or both master cylinders with a hydraulicly activated brake switch. about $20 each, these will be activated by the hydraulic pressure in the lines and not the physical position of the lever.

had to do that for the rear brake on my KLR when i installed the kicker.
              KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and all the info!! I will see what I can find out today after my father and I get done with our round of golf for Fathers Day. Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                X