X

Left over oil, a "new" oil question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left over oil, a "new" oil question

So, my 96 750 takes 4.1 quarts. Erroring on the side of stupidity, can I save that .9 for the next oil change without worrying of it breaking down? I change my oil about every 1 1/2 months (3000 miles). Also, if not, do I just throw that oil out? I'm not sure what to do with it, as it seems to be a waste to throw like $7 worth of oil out. I use chain lube, not oil, on my chain, so I won't use it on that.

Thanks in advance.

PS, I did search

edit: typo

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Yep. No problem saving that oil. Just make sure it's caped, and nothing gets into the bottle.

I buy the 4l jugs all the time, and always have some left over. The hard part is remembering that you have enough left over for another oil change. I always forget and buy a new jug anyway .

Case in point. I'm changing my oil later today. Was going to stop and pick up a new jug, but can't remember if I used the leftover stuff last time or not I'll buy a new jug just in case

Comment

The leftover, I just keep pouring it together. In about 2 years, I will have enough for a FREE oil change.
      It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

I would have just filled it with 4 quarts

close enough

Comment

I buy the big bottle then pour the old oil (always more than what went in how does that work?) into the bottle.. I know giant waste?
          I keep a lot of containers around, old brake fluid old fork oil and old engine oil for the yearly city collections.. I can't risk accidentally pouring old brake fluid/fork oil mix into my bike. So all unsealed containers are don't touch!! (actually I dip into the engine oil for drilling /tapping lube)

Comment

Being the OCD environmentailist I am, I prop one bottle upside down on another, which is right-side up, and leave 'em that way for hours. Thus, I collect the few drops of oil that cling to the inside of the bottles.

Eventually, I will have enough for a truly free oil change.
            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Well, changed my oil on friday. Bought a new bottle just in case. Sure enough, I not only had a full bottle of "leftover oil" but also had a full unopened bottle of new oil ah well. Mental note for next time

Comment

Originally posted by tnvatdreamland
                The leftover, I just keep pouring it together. In about 2 years, I will have enough for a FREE oil change.
                thats what i do.as much as the oil cost,you better believe i am not wasting any.

Comment

Oil in the bottle won't break down for a goodly number of years (probably 7 to 25, depending on the ambient weather), as long as the seal is tight. Unlike when it sits in your engine, a sealed or resealed bottle of oil doesn't get exposed to chemicals that will cause it to form acids that in turn break down the oil.

So, no problem at all saving your still fresh oil for future use. Just be aware that the same is not true of brake fluid, which you should never use after the bottle has been left open for a while.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by 87vert
                    I would have just filled it with 4 quarts

close enough
                    +1....lol
                    I RIDE FOR A LIVING...WHAT ABOUT YOU??

Comment

not being able to make the quote box work correctly is pi$$ing me off.....how?????????????????....do you do it???

Comment

Originally posted by acf1073
                        not being able to make the quote box work correctly is pi$$ing me off.....how?????????????????....do you do it???
                        i'm not sure

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by acf1073
                          What do you mean?

Comment

when i hit the quote button it doesnt put the quote in the lil box like yours did....wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                              Just be aware that the same is not true of brake fluid, which you should never use after the bottle has been left open for a while.

Learned my lesson the hard way on this one. Why are my brakes feeling so flippin weird. Few searches on Katriders later, back to bleed my brakes again. Thanks for the speed bleeders

They are worth thier weight in gold!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X