Numb Hands?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdavis4444
    If you are an experienced rider, try a crampbuster http://crampbuster.com/
    I wouldn't reccomend anything that attached to the grip if you aren't familiar with riding. These are cheap, readily available and pretty much make you change your grip to a looser one. I did a 150 mile ride yesterday morning with no wrist issues using one. Liked it so much I am considering getting one for the left side.
    I forgot about that! Great for long rides.
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

Did you use to ride dirtbikes? I had the bad habit of riding elbows up like out on a dirtbike and it caused all my problems. I put on gel pro grips and bought a pair of olympia gel gloves then concentrated on keeping my elbows down relaxing and doing my best to keep from squeezing those grips. Every once in awhile I find myself doing stupid dirt bike habits like doing a back tire power slide or what we use to call a "broadie", lol. I have to remind myself its not a UJM like the old days and keep things sane...
      "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

i would get numb hands on my 06 night train. would normally just shake my hands periodically but thats only a temp fix.
        the gel grips helped quite abit to help the prob.

heard some good things about the throttle rockers as well but never tried one.
        cant comment on the gel gloves since i havent bought any as i normally only wore gloves during the colder months.

Comment

put the grips on today, rode about 40 miles, made a little difference. Don't think the gloves help/hurt with the issue at all, I rode 20 or so miles with and the rest without. I tried to lean back and keep as light pressure on the grips as possible and I think that made the biggest difference. It is a little uncomfortable, but this is the first street bike I've been on and maybe I'll get used to it.
          Hold on Tight.......

Comment

Hey Moosehead! I too was a recent victim of the "Search Piranha" gang so I understand your frustration. Kinda like a pack of dogs feeding of each others anxiety! I too think it is much easier and less time consuming to just give an answer to the poster than to flog him continuously over his failure to search and kudo's to those who give those useful answers. In my experiances with the numb hand disease I have found that gloves, good grips, shoulder rotations during the ride and most of all riding position where the weight is reduced on the arms and wrist are ways that have helped me reduce this problem.
            Hope this helps!
            Dualsport
            P.S. For God sake, don't ask about tire sizes! They'll rip you apart!
            Push the limits, but always factor in the unknown....
            96 ATK 250
            2000 Road King Classic
            92 Suzuki Intruder 800
            06 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

I ended up using lead shot and silicone on my bars. Virtually eliminated the problem. On the highway I am always at 70 indicated (about 63 mph actual). Before the lead, if I would switch to 65 or 75 indicated, my numbness would go away. Adding the lead changed the frequency at which they resonate, which happened to be right at that speed. This is something to consider.

My vibration is coming back, but my carbs are way off sync. You can tell by the idle changing RPM's up and down at idle (so I've read).

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I agree with engine speed and the buzzing... That darn Katana luvs to cruise at 90 to 100mph and its so smooth at that speed... Just get use to trying to not squeeze them bars and it feels uncomfortable and strange at first but after a few rides you'll realize that the bike needs very little input from your hands... Some friends of mine were commenting about a guy who was flying on a Ducati 1098 upt the local ski run here in NM. They said the guy was a local racer and was only using one hand on the way up and was impossible to catch... He let the bike do the work and just used countersteering all the way up and all the way down... I couldn't comment because they all smoked me, I was in the middle of the pack but thats where I liked it, a lil bit on the sane side but still having fun.. Man that katana can corner, wow...
                "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

moose, i just started riding a couple of months ago and my hands would get numb after about 30 mins of riding and i wear gloves also. I also noticed that my lower back and my neck would hurt, but after about a month of riding it all went away. I didn't do anything different with the way i rode or replace anything on the bike. I think that when you haven't rode in awhile or you just a beginner your body isn't used to the position that you are in and the various ways that you are just stuck in one position that your body just says no i don't like that and that is where you get the cramps and numb feeling. Hope that helps you out

Comment

Working...
                  X