Flat tire....repair or buy new one?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat tire....repair or buy new one?

Good morning all!
    This weekend I obviously pissed off the tire gods. Saturday I took the Intruder to the beach. Went to leave and found that my rear tire was flat. Being a spoke rim a new tube is the obvious fix. I finally got time to pull the wheel last night and I find that after riding the Kat Sunday I now have a flat on the rear tire! @#%$&!! I have had only one flat in the 30 years of riding and now I have two in as many days! What the #$%@? Anyway, the Kat is the first bike I have owned that I have had a flat in a tubeless tire. Nowadays is it advisable to fix/patch this tire and it still be reliable or is the tire toast. Just don't want to trust a patched tire with extreme riding if it is not wise. Comments? Suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Push the limits, but always factor in the unknown....
    96 ATK 250
    2000 Road King Classic
    92 Suzuki Intruder 800
    06 Suzuki Katana 600

I'd replace it, then put the bad one on ebay with a disclaimer, or use it for one last healthy burnout...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Where are the holes/leaks? Tread center? Sidewall? Some argue repair and ride the center tread holes, replace the tire if the sidewall is damaged. I'd certainly agree that you shouldn't try to repair a damaged sidewall but deciding to repair a hole in the center tread is not an obvious choice.

First thing you need to determine is what caused the flat. Is something stuck in the tire? Locate the hole/leak and then look for additional leaks. Many folks have repaired a leak to only find later they have a second leak and a second repair.

If you decide to repair the leak, consider a liquid sealant product. I heard a very convincing argument from a motorcyclist I met recently that it makes little sense to enlarge a hole with a reamer just to put in a plug when a can of sealant will fix the same hole from the inside. He contended that the sealant would even seal around a nail should it remain embedded in the tire.

If you patch a tube tire, you should inspect the inside of the tire carefully to make sure what caused the flat isn't still poking through. Also, check the inside of the rim to see if the spoke or nipple might have caused the flat.

As far as repair or replace, you've probably read as many discussions as I have arguing both sides of the coin. Personally, I would repair a tire on the road to get me home, and then replace it.

The hassle and possible consequences of having a repaired tire fail are too great to take a chance. Plus the expense of a new tire isn't that great.

Just my $.02.

Comment

New tire, sell the old one on ebay.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Without a dought, replace! You don't want a Z rated tire failing at high speed.

EDIT, sorry....not z-rated on an Intruder. I may consider fixing it until I could anti up for a new one on a cruiser.
          It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

After pulling the Dunlop off the Intruder I found that a nail in the tread just off center was the cause of the flat. I just fumed over the condition(flat tire) of the Kat while I tended to the Intruder's foo pa. It should be fine with a patch and a new tube. One thing at a time. I'll investigate the Kat tonight to see what caused the flat tire.
            Push the limits, but always factor in the unknown....
            96 ATK 250
            2000 Road King Classic
            92 Suzuki Intruder 800
            06 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

I just got two punctures in a fairly new rear tire on my Kat, and I don't have the funds to buy a new one just yet. I've plugged both holes, and a week and a half later and 500 miles, the tire is holding up extremely well (no loss of air). If you do the plug route be sure to check air pressure every ride and do a visual inspection as well. A tire repair on a Z rated tire is not recommended because it drops the speed rating from 149+ to about 70mph. In my opinion, a repair should just be temporary, in my case until I get the money for a new tire.

Cale_Kat mentioned using a liquid tire sealant. I'm not sure if I agree with this assessment. Liquid sealants have a tendency to offset the wheel's balance which is something you certainly would not want on a machine that only has two of them. Although, there are liquid type sealants that claim they are approved for motorcycle use and won't upset the balance. IMHO, I'd trust a plug over the sealant.
              1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

If you use a plug, make sure its a 'plug patch' combo ones. This is like a dual method. This is what is used to patch 'Z' rated car tires and they still keep their Z ratings (or so they claim). The wires in the tire will have been displaced so the structure of the tire is slightly different.

Roops Photography|facebook|
                03 GSXR 1000
                04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

replace!
                  "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                  JOHN 16:33

Comment

I would replace it if you can afford it, then repair and keep the old one incase it happens again or happens to a friend and they dont have the money for a new one.

Comment

Here in Australia, all the MC tyre shops I've been to allow 2 plugs (like profroopchan has posted) in a rear tyre - but NONE in a front.

Mind you, I wouldn't be attempting a DIY if that's what you were thinking...

Comment

Yeah , I've had to replace 2 tires in the last few months due to punctures , too . One last fall while taking this girl I just met on a ride . Had to call mommy to get my stepdad's truck to haul my bike home . THAT made a good impression .Next was this spring riding to work . Found a chunk of glass somewhere . 2 rear tires in a couple months .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Re: Flat tire....repair or buy new one?

Originally posted by Dualsport
                          I have had only one flat in the 30 years of riding and now I have two in as many days! What the #$%@?
                          Just sounds like the law of averages is catching up with you...

Everyone already gave you the best advice there is: plug the old one, order a new one, and when you swap, sell the patched/plugged one on eBay with a disclaimer. Depending on the tire brand/model/make, I may already have the eBay write-up ready for you.

KNOW THIS:
                          In the UK, it is illegal for any shop to plug or patch a Z-rated motorcycle tire.
                          Dunlop says their tires can be plugged/patched once and only once -- but the speed rating drops to 70 mph at that instant.
                          A plug is still better than being stuck in the middle of no-where. Plan ahead.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I repair tires on cars and trucks, but I always replace on a bike. -I don't go cheap when it comes to safety. I would'nt jump with a cheap parachute when I'm skydiving or use a cheap regulator when I'm SCUBA diving so why set a new precedent. I'd rather it sat in the garage gathering cob webs until I could afford a new tire than ride on one that's been compromised.

What amount of money is your life worth? -Hard for anyone to calculate, but it's certainly worth more than the hundred bones for a new tire...
                            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                            X