X

A couple of issues on 2004 kat :/

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of issues on 2004 kat :/

Hey everyone! This is my second katana, i had 600 last year that was 2001 model which i sold and bought 2004 newer version 600 as well. My previous kat was all tip top and running perfectly, this one has a couple of issues .

The first issue i had was my carb was overflowing, flooding my Exhaust pipes. I opened up the carbs, cleaned them a bit around float area and few other places ( i didn't dismantle them that's a big mistake i know )... I returned them and bike was running back ''normal'' same as previously.

There are other issues that are happening constantly:

- Jumpy idle, it's really unstable and jumping 50-100-200 rpm on idle, it never runs in place
    - Until it get's hot enough and i go trough 6000 rpm couple of times, it's really bogging down when i open throttle, like it needs to break trough that point and from then on it's going normally
    - RPM's are slowly dropping down from 2000-2500 rpm when i release the throttle, not really slowly but rather slow
    - With previous exhaust and from yesterday with new MIVV replica which is free flow exhaust, it's popping a lot on decel, i open it wide open and release the throttle and it's popping a lot, i suppose too rich mixture
    - Rubber inlet boots are bit cracked on the places where screws go into the engine, from what i roughly saw they are good from the inside.
    - Rubber caps that go over vacuum inlets are cracked ( carb sync points), i dont know if i should change them

Stock brass caps are still on AF screws, my petcock is working properly from what i tested out but i will repair it as soon as i can.
    I have old pic's from the carbs when i opened them last weekend i can post them here.

My idea is to get the bike running properly , its got 23000 miles on it and it's US version ( imported to my country in Europe), last kat had arround 50.000 miles and was running like new so the idea is to get this all sorted out.

Oh few things that i didn't mention, new air filter is added from ti HiFlo , should be same as the stock one.

Hmm sounds like it has a vacuum leak and the carbs need to be turned for your set up slow drop to idle could be too rich on the AF screw
    search here carbs 102 and give them a good service then tune

check all your intake rubbers for leaks
    Last edited by Lachie; 04-03-2020, 04:44 PM.
    “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
    Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
    ― Douglas Adams

Comment

For intake, you mean the ones going from airbox to the carbs or from the carbs to the engine? What's the best way to test them out?

Comment

Both actually I was trying to track down an issue with mine once and found one of the air box to carb rubbers was loose at the airbox some contact adhesive around the air box rubber (looks like there original are also glued in) and was ok after that.
        any of the rubbers including the vacumm take offs can cause issues.

​​​​​Cracked intake boots (carb to engine) and bad O rings under them (engine side)

If you spray some thing like WD40 or engine starter around the rubbers if you have a leak it should cause the engine to rev up.
        Haven't played with aftermarket air filters but have heard here some can cause issues
        “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
        Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
        ― Douglas Adams

Comment

Actually this Hi Flo filter is actually it's brend, it is same as stock from what i remember.

I'll need to buy some WD and test it out. I'm having difficulties finding the new intake boot's here in my country so i gues il need to ebay :/

Also, since this aint new bike, at what height should i adjust the floats? is 13mm ok? While i'm out there taking it apart i would set the heights right away than go back in again.

I also plan on drilling the holes for AF mixture, and when i do, should i set them to 2.5 turns on all? Since im at regular sea level, aftermarket header is installed with DB in so i think it will be ok?
          Last edited by Nikola0803; 04-05-2020, 08:52 AM.

Comment

In mechanics 101 is a topic on service manuals
            this one should suit you

Also have a look through this
            Sorry for the delay, someone was looking for this the other day on FB and I just had time to locate and post it.

These should give you enough info to start

― Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
            X