X

Carb rebuild jet kit?!?!?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb rebuild jet kit?!?!?!

I started rebuilding the carbs on my 1997 750. And I believe it had a jet kit installed. I purchased a complete kit with stock needles and jets. Is there somewhere I can order the jets from I want to start with fresh stuff? And is it even needed there is no filter upgrade and it is just a Vance & Hines 4 in to 1.
    1990 750 katana
    2002 Honda rebel
    1995 Jeep YJ
    2003 Saturn Ion

Id leave the air filter stock. best drop in jets are factory pro jet kits for the kat.

Comment

What kit did you purchase?

How many slots are on the needles that were installed? This will tell us what kit was already in it.

Jetsrus.com sells mikuni jets inexpensively.

If your not doing a major change, then just a simple jetkit , as mentioned... factorypro is a good option, and will come with a few jet sizes as part of the kit.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I got a stock rebuild kit from bike bandit. I didn't even think about it having a jet kit because of the pipe.

The jet that is in the bike is a 115 and the needle has 6 notches. The needles really aren't bad I will order some new 115's to put in it. The bike had been sitting a little while when I got it so it was full of jello gas.
        1990 750 katana
        2002 Honda rebel
        1995 Jeep YJ
        2003 Saturn Ion

Comment

Originally posted by chuckyj95 View Post
          I got a stock rebuild kit from bike bandit. I didn't even think about it having a jet kit because of the pipe.

The jet that is in the bike is a 115 and the needle has 6 notches. The needles really aren't bad I will order some new 115's to put in it. The bike had been sitting a little while when I got it so it was full of jello gas.
          Okay, 6 slots for the eclip on the needle suggests dynojunk or sigma brand jetkits. If dynojunk, the jets should not be mikuni jets. You have to use DJ jets with DJ needles. They flow very differently, and the parts can't be mixed.

I'd suggest looking very closely at the jets to see if you can see the Box in Box mikuni stamp on them, or you may want to measure the size of the outter dimention of the heads of the jets. DJ jets are ussually smaller than the mikuni jets, and can be help to identify what you actually have installed.

If you do have DJ or sigma kits... I'd strongly suggest swapping to factorypro kit, and alos making sure that there are no other modifications to the carbs. Older DJ kits included mods like plugging the slide holes with little white nomex inserts (pull out the slide, look at the 2 holes on the bottom where the needle sticks out... see white inserts in the black plastic? Some kits included instructions to drill stuff... back in the day.

More info is good to help us help you, post some clear close up pics...

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Figures this was supposed to be a nice easy fix. I will take some pics when I get home.
            1990 750 katana
            2002 Honda rebel
            1995 Jeep YJ
            2003 Saturn Ion

Comment

I have written a lot about the differences between factory and dynojunk
              I’ll summarize- when you are buying a kit, you are mostly buying new adjustable needles. The jets, the Allen head top screws ( factory), Springs ( dynojunk) and drill bit ( dynojunk- ugh!) and the the little case cost next to nothing.
              The secret sauce is the needles. They won’t sell them by themselves .
              Factory look like stock, they have similar taper, but will allow more fuel.
              Dynojunk has their own taper- starts like needle, then gets big.
              This gives less linear response.That, along with other stuff ( like those springs ) means you got a kit that can’t be dialed in to give stock rideability.
              Factory gives stock response but flexibility and more fuel where you need it.
              I also wonder about the quality of dynojunk jets. Factory gives you mikuni jets, which sounds logical as the carbs are made by mikuni.

Comment

I found this post today using the search button lol sorry forum joke no one ever searches just ask a question that has been answered a hundred times. Anyway....

I found a post about a open exhaust should be ok with stock needles and a bigger jet. I am not looking to race it's just a commuteing bike and a step till I can pick up a sport touring bike. (Maybe I loved my old Kat)

Here is the link what do ya think. https://katriders.com/forum/service-...-much-write-up
                1990 750 katana
                2002 Honda rebel
                1995 Jeep YJ
                2003 Saturn Ion

Comment

Ok so pic of the carbs

​​​​​​

1990 750 katana
                  2002 Honda rebel
                  1995 Jeep YJ
                  2003 Saturn Ion

Comment

Pics of the jets? Close up, able to see the numbers clearly?

Definately 6 slot needle, but even those don't look like DJ needles, and honestly... those are not even really shaped much. Like, no taper at all.

Here is a pic of some DJ needles, notice the taper is different.

AHXk36y.jpg

The needle on the right looks OEM.

I think you may find things better to just get a FP jetkit.

Also, take a pic of the bottom of the slides.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

So you think I need the jet kit? I was hoping stock needles with a shim and bigger jets would work. Old is a 116 new is a 106.
                      1990 750 katana
                      2002 Honda rebel
                      1995 Jeep YJ
                      2003 Saturn Ion

Comment

A $140 for the jet kit holy cow. I still need a front tire and my front brakes don't work. I want to get this thing running to see if I even still like riding it. Before I dump a ton of money into it.
                        1990 750 katana
                        2002 Honda rebel
                        1995 Jeep YJ
                        2003 Saturn Ion

Comment

Photofucket put their logo over the very spot i wanted to see....

should check out imgur.com.

93 750 Kat

Comment

Pic of jets

Last edited by chuckyj95; 07-13-2019, 04:44 AM.
                            1990 750 katana
                            2002 Honda rebel
                            1995 Jeep YJ
                            2003 Saturn Ion

Comment

Bottom of slide

1990 750 katana
                              2002 Honda rebel
                              1995 Jeep YJ
                              2003 Saturn Ion

Comment

Working...