X

FrankenKat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FrankenKat

I have a half-baked idea that I have been tossing around my head for a while. Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes nothing. I have a spare pre-kat 750 motor, and I really want to drop it into a snowmobile chassis. I have seen videos about people doing it with other engines and installing push button shifters etc., and even saw one where a guy bypassed the gearbox by hanging another output shaft out the engine side cover where the oil filling hole is in order to avoid shifting. My question is this, given that most snowmobiles use essentially a pulley CVT (primary and secondary clutch hooked directly to the crankshaft of the engine), would it not be possible to drop a pre-kat 750 engine in the chassis and just always run it in 6th gear (as close to a 1:1 gear ratio as you can get) and have the snowmobile's CVT hooked up to the transmission output shaft? This way the transmission and clutch are not needed for driving, as the CVT handles keeping the engine in a reasonable powerband based on the amount of torque being demanded. You just start it with the clutch in, then release it and the engine just idles in 6th until you give it enough throttle to engage the snowmobile clutches. Or am I missing something fundamental here, like the transmission in 6th gear doesn't produce enough torque as the lower gears etc. etc. Just a crazy idea I am toying with.
Working...
X