Katana Project.... maybe....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana Project.... maybe....

Hello everyone!

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right area but I had a family friend give me their non running katana mid last year and I started buying/installing parts to get it back running but I never got the title signed over to my name. Our families had a big falling out and are no longer communicating so my question is what are my legal options of what I can do with the bike. At this point reaching out to ask for the title (or communicating at all) is not possible.

Sorry again if this is posted in the wrong area. Thanks for any guidance you guys/gals can give.

Tsuka

You'll need to research the laws in the state you live in and find out what your options are. Some states are easy to deal with this, some aren't.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

No further contact with the prior owner, your option will probably be what's called an "indemnity bond". Basically, you go to an insurance officer, purchase the bond to cover 1.5X the value of the vehicle, fill out a title transfer form from the dmv, schedule with the DMV for an officer to come out to inspect the bike and give you a "it's not stolen" form, and then you turn all that in with the DMV tag office and pay the normal title transfer fees. A few months later, they wither give you the title, or send you a note of what additional information you need to send, like... if the bike is still under a lien, they want info that it's been cleared.

There will probably be an additional form asking how you acquired the bike. Also, note on the indemnity bond purchase... The bond cost is a minimal of $100. The bond price is a % of the total amount they are covering in the bond. I'd suggest asking the agent how much the maximum you can purchase at the $100 price, as they will write in any amount that is less than the max you specify. Your buying the bond for $100 regardless, you may as well have max value for that purchase eh?

Simpler and cheaper, work out the "no contact" BS and get the signature you need on the title. Even if you offered a "temp peace offering" of $50 or something, it's cheaper and easier.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the replies! It seems like I can't do the indemnity bond in DE though. I'll probably just keep it in storage for the time being and tinker with getting it running right and see if anything changes a couple months down the road. Worst case scenario at least I'll have the experience from working on it.

thanks again!

Tsuka

Comment

You're probably out of luck unless you can get the previous owner to sign the title away.
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Could I get a frame with a title and transfer the parts over? Seems like that would be "too easy" (minus my labor lol) but that makes me think it wouldn't be legal.

Thanks,

Tsuka

Comment

Yeah sure why not? The frame goes with the title.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X