No announcement yet.
X

Whistler radar detector

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote=doubleoqueso;1283250]I found just going slow is the best way to avoid tickets (And I've got a lot...)

Very very smart.
    My a**
    Exactly like here where I live.The mentality is:"don't go fast because if you drive fast the fuel consumption is higher and that's why the fuel price is that high."
    COME ON !!!! DO YOU BELIEVE IN FAIRY TALES !!!
    ROOKIE.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
      If you get one be sure it can be hidden, because in some states they are illegal to have and you can be pulled over if a cop sees one on ur vehicle. They just passed a law here in Florida making them illegal.
      No they didn't.
      It was proposed by FL State Senator Steve Oelrich in the senate in March of '07, but died in the transportation committee (details here: FL Senate: Bill S2228 (Session 2007)) and was never seen in the house. Note that Oelrich also submitted a bill to make altering or covering license plates (such as with tint or film) to keep them from being legible by traffic cameras a crime; that bill also died in the transportation committee. Based on the timing and nature of the two bills, I suspect he was spiffed by a lobbiest for the traffic-camera/ticket-revenue industry in the private sector.

Radar detectors and laser detectors remain 100% legal in Florida.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ah i never knew that, i thought it passed.

So I can spray paint my tag and it wouldn't be illigal as long as it was legible?
        Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

So I can spray paint my tag and it wouldn't be illigal as long as it was legible?
          There is a law against changing license plates already -- 320.061
          Details and exact wording here:
          FL Statutes: Title XXIII (Motor vehicles), Chapter 320 (Licenses): 320.061

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

now as you block the laser, still other means of nailing you, and though legal to block the laser part of the equation, good luck on blocking the other means.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

if i was a cop and someone looked like they were speeding and I clocked them and the speed reading went all over the place i think i would know something was up
              Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

if i was a cop and someone looked like they were speeding and I clocked them and the speed reading went all over the place i think i would know something was up
                If you were a cop...I'd be concerned about PC PD's lax hiring policies.
                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                  If you were a cop...I'd be concerned about PC PD's lax hiring policies.

You crack me up bro
                  Last edited by Zepp; 02-06-2008, 09:41 PM.
                  2007 Honda CBR600rr
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by moosehead89 View Post
                    that's correct, to be certified in radar (including laser) you have to be able to visually confirm speeds within 5 miles per hr both stationary and moving. You have to re-certify once every 2 yrs.

Jamming Units don't work, they were used on mythbusters, along with every other myth about beating the radar.
                    Let me CLARIFY that...

"Jamming Units" sold to the general population do not work as advertised.
                    Trust me there is equipment out there that works....very effectively, but still comes down to a LEO's estimate of speed / pacing, if you're in traffic when it goes to Court. The radar reading is just extra insurance.

There is ready made gadgets out there that people really don't want to know about, or they'd all move to Montana, put alum foil on their heads, and live in a Fallout shelter.

For the OP..save the $200 and buy some more /better gear. Going far enough over the limit in traffic... it's inevitable.

Comment

visually confirm speeds? how is that? If is that they have to just point out cars and say yeah 43, 47 55 while standing or moving, that is crap. No one can do that. dont give me that crap about yeah my buddy is spot on.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by mharrison View Post
                        It will if you follow a fair distance behind somebody travelling the same speed you want to ride. They get hit, you hear/see the detector, you slow down.

You just have to understand the limitations of a radar detector with instant-on radar and use it accordingly.
                        Thats funny because its the first thing I look for when I run radar. The vehicle in the rear gaining on a vehicle I have an established speed for. Besides the units we have are multi-vehicle/multi-directional so I not only get the speed for the lead vehicle but the trail vehicle too, Front and Rear(thats tracking 4 vehicles at one time), Either direction(Approaching or traveling away). And yes at mile plus I can track for quite awhile.
                        Last edited by AKA AllyKat; 02-07-2008, 09:34 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AKA AllyKat View Post
                          Thats funny because its the first thing I look for when I run radar. The vehicle in the rear gaining on a vehicle I have an established speed for. Besides the units we have are multi-vehicle/multi-directional so I not only get the speed for the lead vehicle but the trail vehicle too, Front and Rear(thats tracking 4 vehicles at one time), Either direction(Approaching or traveling away). And yes at mile plus I can track for quite awhile.
                          Yeah, but my question to you is, Do you speed while on and off duty? Most cops I know speed all the time on or off duty. All they have to do is whip out there badge if they get stopped.
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
                            Yeah, but my question to you is, Do you speed while on and off duty? Most cops I know speed all the time on or off duty. All they have to do is whip out there badge if they get stopped.

On Duty I do when needed. Most of the time I'm 5 under. (3mph+- vehicle difference for same direction, moving radar) But the laws allow for that. Off Duty I speed sometimes not nearly as much as I used to. And nope I dont carry my badge when Im off if I get pulled over thats my fault. I know the principles and operation of radar/ladar, I know what the local and state laws are, and I run the same risks as anyone else when speeding. (It also doesnt help when we are considered the bob dept cause someone poed the rest of the local depts. If I was to show my badge or credentials Id definately get the ticket.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AKA AllyKat View Post
                              correct me if I am wrong, but i think your description of multi-vehicle tracking is a little off. From my understanding the Radar unit will not necessarily track the "lead" or "trail" vehicle. but simply the strongest signals.

First of all, radar is prone to interference. It is not too hard to figure out that the radar's antenna will accept any microwave that it is able to "hear". In other words, the antenna might not be "hearing" the waves which originated from its own unit. High voltage power lines, telephone lines, power stations, even neon lights, do emit lots of electromagnetic waves. There is absolutely no way to tell which wave the antenna is hearing.

Secondly, radar cannot determine which target reflected off the waves. If there are two cars both traveling in a close proximity, no one can tell who is responsible for the radar reading if such is obtained. Identifying the target is a job left to the radar operator, who frequently makes mistakes. At a distance of 200m, the width of the radar beam can usually cover all 4 lanes of traffic traveling in both direction. In other words, it is impossible for the operator to know exactly which vehicle is responsible for the radar reading he obtained, even if there is only one vehicle on the road he can see. The reason is, radar has a typical range of approximately 400m (1200 feet), which is beyond the visual range of most human eyes. The radar might be clocking a speeder at a distance of 300m, but the operator can only see an innocent driver coming towards him at a distance of 100m. As a result, an unjust ticket will be issued. Not to mention if there are more than two cars in the visual range of the cop.

Radar does not necessarily pick up the fastest moving object. The strongest return signal can be affected by a number of different factors, such as the target's size, the cross-sectional area facing the radar antenna, its relative speed and the distance from the radar unit. For example, if a Corvette is traveling at 80km/h 50m from the radar, and a truck is speeding 110km/h at 200m away, the radar may pick up the return signal from the truck and register a speed of 110km/h. The officer however might think that the Corvette is the one responsible for the violation.

Of course, there are radar units which can identify multiple targets, determine their speeds, range, shape, altitude, direction of travel etc., but these radar units cost millions of dollars and are properties of the military and airports. Traffic radar units have to be cheap, small, and thus error-prone.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

speed limit was 65. my mom was doing 70+- and another car passed her doing 80+-. The cop turn around from the opposite side of the interstate and pulled both of them over and stated they were both doing 82 mph. my mom wasn't even in the same lane as she was getting passed by a faster car in the fast lane.
                                myspace
                                2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                                X