X

Whistler radar detector

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistler radar detector

Anyone have any experience with this unit. Has a wireless led in the helmet. Just wondering if it's worth the 200 bucks or so.
    2005 600, Chopped Shovel, Smoked Turn Signals and Rear Light, 14/50 Sprocket Change, Lubetronic, Whiteface Gauges, Chrome Reflective Screen, Anodized Bar ends and Levers, Met. z3's and some nuts and bolts!!

Re: Whistler radar detector

Originally posted by Jhonyquest97
    Anyone have any experience with this unit. Has a wireless led in the helmet. Just wondering if it's worth the 200 bucks or so.
    Which unit? Whistler makes a lot of radar detectors....
    -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
    -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

With radar detectors you get what you pay for, like everything else. Check out radardetectors.net great forum. I have a Valentine 1 ($$$), but it's saved my ass many times, you can get something called a H.A.R.D. system for it which is a wirless led to put in your helmet.

Comment

I'm talking about motorcycle specific models. Ones that come with everything you need. Whistler only makes one of them, the crusader.
        2005 600, Chopped Shovel, Smoked Turn Signals and Rear Light, 14/50 Sprocket Change, Lubetronic, Whiteface Gauges, Chrome Reflective Screen, Anodized Bar ends and Levers, Met. z3's and some nuts and bolts!!

Comment

Comment

I found just going slow is the best way to avoid tickets (And I've got a lot...)

However, if you really want some neat radar, and don't mind spending a pretty penny on it, http://www.veypor.com/hud.html has a heads up display with radar available, I believe.

Comment

If you get one be sure it can be hidden, because in some states they are illegal to have and you can be pulled over if a cop sees one on ur vehicle. They just passed a law here in Florida making them illegal.
              Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

don't waste your money, if the officer is running radar the way he/she is supposed to it won't work anyway.
                Hold on Tight.......

Comment

It will if you follow a fair distance behind somebody travelling the same speed you want to ride. They get hit, you hear/see the detector, you slow down.

You just have to understand the limitations of a radar detector with instant-on radar and use it accordingly.
                  -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
                  -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

I never even see radar anymore.. All I see is Laser..

Comment

Sharks w/ lasers on their heads?

Comment

Originally posted by moosehead89
                        don't waste your money, if the officer is running radar the way he/she is supposed to it won't work anyway.

As far as i know radar works on short bursts of energy sent out and recieved, it also takes a little longer to get a reading so most police will leave it running. Laser is different because they physically aim at you and shoot a beam, youre screwed anyway you think about it with that. It just takes a lot more training to get your certification in it and not all police are cert. Even many troopers here in nj aren't certified. I'm not doing 110 down the parkway but i like to go a little faster traffic. It's just safer if i know where all vehicle are and have been.

Comment

One of my ridding buddies is a COP, he stated they are trained to visually detect speeds and estimate the rate at which the vehicle is traveling. They then shot the gun to confirm their guess. Therefore, most of the time when your detector goes off, you have already been targeted. As stated prior, the detector is only good if some one in your group is being targeted. The best solutions are ride with a group and/or know the rode you are on and their speed traps. Also, I was told, at least the Texas troopers have radar in their mirrors. So when they are cruising with traffic they can detect approaching for the rear traffic speeds.
                          Round Rock, TX

Comment

I hear that the latest, greatest thing for the ones that like to speed, are the "jamming" units. They can shoot radar or laser at ya, and it jams their unit well enough that it can not calculate an accurate speed. Told that it makes their unit look like your speed is bouncing all around. 300mph, 20mph, 80mph, 5mph, and back and forth.
                            Funny thing about it I hear is, the very same major manufactures of the police speed detectors (Cincinnati Microwave) are building the same detectors and jammers for the civi's. Can you say Double Dipping??
                            It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Originally posted by jrocatx
                              One of my ridding buddies is a COP, he stated they are trained to visually detect speeds and estimate the rate at which the vehicle is traveling. They then shot the gun to confirm their guess. Therefore, most of the time when your detector goes off, you have already been targeted. As stated prior, the detector is only good if some one in your group is being targeted. The best solutions are ride with a group and/or know the rode you are on and their speed traps. Also, I was told, at least the Texas troopers have radar in their mirrors. So when they are cruising with traffic they can detect approaching for the rear traffic speeds.
                              that's correct, to be certified in radar (including laser) you have to be able to visually confirm speeds within 5 miles per hr both stationary and moving. You have to re-certify once every 2 yrs.

Jamming Units don't work, they were used on mythbusters, along with every other myth about beating the radar.
                              Hold on Tight.......

Comment

Working...
                              X